Punt Sundays are back!

harkness99

If sitting Robert once every 10 games keeps him off the IL, I’ll happily take 145 games played. Would I have had him in there? Absolutely. But I get the logic. 

Yaz sat because day game after night with day game tomorrow. Pretty simple on that one. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

I see we are keeping the Larussa tradition alive...

sitting Robert and Grandal with Eloy out...

same championship formula...

Ozzie was the king of Sunday lineups

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They’ve pretty much punted the season already with their offseason, what else do you expect?

And two other games where they let Lynn and Kopech get slaughtered because of bad roster construction with no long reliever

Perspectives from someone who did not watch the Easter game

Surprised by the score

Pleased that Kopech pitched well

Getting a little nervous because I do not remember one White Sox team that started the year poorly and then went on to do a damned thing the rest of the season

Just now, wegner said:

Surprised by the score

Getting a little nervous because I do not remember one White Sox team that started the year poorly and then went on to do a damned thing the rest of the season

1983 team started 16-24.
2008 team was 14-17 at one point. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

Surprised by the score

I believe it was on this day in 2022 they were 6-2 entering play and lost the next 8 straight. 

13 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

1983 team started 16-24.

The 2001 Sox were 15 under at one point but rebounded to win 83 games, only the second MLB team to ever do that (Brewers did it first in the early 90's)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

1983 team started 16-24.

Thanks for the perspective.  Ill hold out hope for now.  Despite today's score, the offense is looking better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

If sitting Robert once every 10 games keeps him off the IL, I’ll happily take 145 games played. Would I have had him in there? Absolutely. But I get the logic. 

Yaz sat because day game after night with day game tomorrow. Pretty simple on that one. 

Yeah if we are going to sit Robert that much... i still think there should be other considerations besides a set schedule.

The offense was already missing a couple of key contributors today for other more prescient reasons.

Rest Robert later when Eloy is back...

40-50 games seems to be about what it takes to see where a team might be at. I think we all have a right to be very frustrated given the last two seasons, but the fact is we still have a very talented team that is certainly capable of winning 90 games in a weak division…even if they start something like 22-28, because getting Hendriks and Crochet back plus adding relevant bullpen and bench pieces at the deadline could truly turn this into a very good team that hits its stride at the right time. It’s very tempting to want to be right about this team being bad, but it’s just too early to know with a group with this much raw talent, and that may not be a bad thing. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

40-50 games seems to be about what it takes to see where a team might be at. I think we all have a right to be very frustrated given the last two seasons, but the fact is we still have a very talented team that is certainly capable of winning 90 games in a weak division. Even if they start something like 22-28, because getting Hendriks and Crochet back plus adding relevant bullpen and bench pieces at the deadline could truly turn this into a very good team that hits its stride at the right time. It’s very tempting to want to be right about this team being bad, but it’s just too early to know with a group with this much raw talent, and that may not be a bad thing. 

There is some truth to what you've said but that should also be tempered with Rick Hahn's track record in acquiring talent (the latest being Diekman) which far more often than not has been a real failure.

Plus even if they are in a race in a weak division will JR take the plunge financially? They certainly didn't over the off-season when competition for talent isn't as intense or critical.  

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

40-50 games seems to be about what it takes to see where a team might be at. I think we all have a right to be very frustrated given the last two seasons, but the fact is we still have a very talented team that is certainly capable of winning 90 games in a weak division…even if they start something like 22-28, because getting Hendriks and Crochet back plus adding relevant bullpen and bench pieces at the deadline could truly turn this into a very good team that hits its stride at the right time. It’s very tempting to want to be right about this team being bad, but it’s just too early to know with a group with this much raw talent, and that may not be a bad thing. 

With the new balanced schedule...84-85 wins might get it done.  Can no longer beat up the Tigers like 2020-21.

Until the Sox prove they can consistently beat the Twins and Guardians and utilize home field advantage...they're going to be stuck around .500.

Absolutely no insurance for injuries in that pen and one serviceable minor league starter in Martin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Surprised by the score

How many Sox teams have actually done a damn thing at all in the last 100 years? 

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There is some truth to what you've said but that should also be tempered with Rick Hahn's track record in acquiring talent (the latest being Diekman) which far more often than not has been a real failure.

Plus even if they are in a race in a weak division will JR take the plunge financially? They certainly didn't over the off-season when competition for talent isn't as intense or critical.  

Hahn traded a bad top 5 pick for the Dallas Keuchel of closers. His track record is pretty awful even when you include Cease and Robert. 

32 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

How many Sox teams have actually done a damn thing at all in the last 100 years? 

As a White Sox historian the era from 1951-1967 was terrific. 1972 was wonderful as was 1977. 1981-1985 was a solid period and so was 1990-1994. The period from 2000-20006 was about as good as any since the Golden Age from 1951-67.

A lot of it depends on what you mean by "doing a damn thing."

Not justifying what has happened to this franchise since the start of the 2007 season but they have actually done some good things over the last 100 seasons...just not as many as perhaps they would have with better ownership.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fine, but sit them on different days. Give Robert Monday off instead of Sunday.