Sox gear

Hi guys I live in southern cal and see A LOT of White Sox gear being worn, mostly hats but also shirts, jerseys, etc, maybe even more than the local teams.  Don’t know if they’re actually fans or just like the look.  Does anyone know where we rank as far as merchandise revenue among MLB teams?  How much of a cut of that does the team (ie Reinsdorf) get?

• Quin changed the title to Sox gear
47 minutes ago, Claudellsleptheretoo said:

Hi guys I live in southern cal and see A LOT of White Sox gear being worn, mostly hats but also shirts, jerseys, etc, maybe even more than the local teams.  Don’t know if they’re actually fans or just like the look.  Does anyone know where we rank as far as merchandise revenue among MLB teams?  How much of a cut of that does the team (ie Reinsdorf) get?

As someone that lives in Brooklyn and sees as much Sox gear as I do the Mets, it's because the Sox brand is closely tied to hip hop due to Eazy-E rocking the hat in the '90s and Chance the Rapper more recently.

I think Chance changed it after the Sox declined to make him a paid ambassador, which sucks because his custom hats with the team were gorgeous.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Quin said:

As someone that lives in Brooklyn and sees as much Sox gear as I do the Mets, it's because the Sox brand is closely tied to hip hop due to Eazy-E rocking the hat in the '90s and Chance the Rapper more recently.

What, it's due to hip hop? Damn all this time I thought it was because Ben Shapiro is a fan.   /sarcasm

Or maybe it's cause of Leo!

leo.png

Jokes aside here's a cool article going over the history of the Sox hat and hip-hop.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-white-sox-cap-and-hip-hop-culture/

3 hours ago, Quin said:

I think Chance changed it after the Sox declined to make him a paid ambassador, which sucks because his custom hats with the team were gorgeous.

Best rap line ever: “Got my Chrome to the side of his White Sox hat.”

• TLR 1

5 hours ago, Claudellsleptheretoo said:

If it’s southern california, it’s gang related

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

You might want to watch this:

Sox are at 7:00. 

For anyone who doesn't want to waste a click, the SPORTS HATS YOU SHOULD NEVER WEAR IN LOS ANGELES includes

1. THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS
  2. Houston Dodgers (while valid, not for this dude's reasoning)
  3. Seattle Mariners
  4. Texas Rangers
  5. Oakland A's (R.I.P)
  6. LOS ANGELES ANGELS of Anaheim
  7. New York Yankees (quite possibly the most popular hat in the world)
  8. Kansas City Royals
  9. Philadelphia Phillies
  10. Chicago White Sox
  11. Chicago Bulls (Jerry appreciates his teams together)
  12. Milwaukee Brewers
  13. Minnesota Twins (previous cap)
  14. Florida Marlins (specifically not Miami)
  15. UNC
  16. Boston Red Sox
  17. San Francisco Giants
  18. St. Louis Cardinals
  19. Michigan Wolverines
  20. Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I was just using that particular video as it documents the hats worn by various LA gangs since the OP in socal doesn’t seem to know why people where certain hats. Wasn’t really advocating the video’s position not to wear a hat, but if you’re living in gangland I would think it kind of vital to know what you are dealing with

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

True but the question was specific to SoCal. There are about 150,000 gang members in LA County

I saw a bunch of hats when I was in Barcelona last summer. Don't think they were gang members. Even gave one guy a Go Sox, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

soxhatxx.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I always found this funny in the movie bc they had Eazy wearing this hat in the 80’s before it ever came out. 

In the song “La La Land” by The Game he goes through mlb hats and what gang they’re affiliated with. No White Sox mentioned.

I seem to remember an interview with Ice Cube how he mentioned the Sox hat was popular bc it was gang neutral and could be worn anywhere. 

Edited by Pale Sox

38 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

I always found this funny in the movie bc they had Eazy wearing this hat in the 80’s before it ever came out. 

In the song “La La Land” by The Game he goes through mlb hats and what gang they’re affiliated with. No White Sox mentioned.

I seem to remember an interview with Ice Cube how he mentioned the Sox hat was popular bc it was gang neutral and could be worn anywhere. 

It’s black and white, no other mlb hat like it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quin said:

Here's mine, it's my current fav. matches my international flight Japan Jordan 12s

IMG-20230505-071127.jpg

• Fire 1

I saw an interesting TikTok today on how the mlb store is incredibly popular in S Korea and China thanks to some smart brand partnerships. The store looks completely different, kinda wild.

I keep getting impressed by how dumb manfred is vs how smart some mlb strategies are. But mainly it’s probably hard to go wrong with a legacy sport nowadays.

IMG_2829.png

I remember being in Austria in 2008 and they had Yankees, Dodgers, and White Sox stuff. No other teams. 
although I mentioned it to a local guy who didn’t know they were baseball teams, just thought they were clothing brand logos. 

• Like 1

While we're on the topic of Sox gear, anyone notice how expensive baseball merchandise is getting? (blah blah inflation, I get it)

I buy a lot of 47 Brand hats for all sorts of teams but I particularly look for any of their new hats with old Sox logos. They have a non-fitted hat for $50! And other regular hats are $40. Feels like a few years ago they were only $25. 

/old man rant of a 30-something