Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition

maxjusttyped

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Bryan Reynolds just doubled off the wall. Keuchel's fortunate it wasn't a HR.

So much for that. Still pretty remarkable to see him having any success at the big league level in 2023

It's a stretch to call the Pirates (or White Sox) big league level this season. Well Pittsburgh for several seasons and counting.

Do give him credit for pitching well vs. a slumping Arizona team. He got hammered as expected in Philadelphia in his only other start. He is slated to face Texas at home his next start.

In the good news department, Billy Hamilton signed a minor league deal with Tampa Bay yesterday, and will be eligible for postseason play, though it will require a commissioner exemption to replace an injured player unless he is added to the 40 man roster today.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/rays-billy-hamilton-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

Sadly, their current 40 man roster is full, but Manuel Margot is recovering from elbow surgery performed in mid August, and this move in part is insurance in the event he has issues returning before year end,

They currently have four active OFers on their current 40 man roster.

https://www.mlb.com/rays/roster/40-man

Lance Lynn did his usual post-inning swearing into the void, and the Dodgers broadcaster threw some shade about how he must be fired up by being "miles away from pitching for the White Sox."

The next inning he loads the bases, walks in the tying run, gives up a slam to Acuna Jr, and then another HR for good measure while racking up 60 pitches through 2IP.

Ironically, turns in a a worse line (4.1IP, 7ER, 7H, 2BB, 1K, 3HR) than he did for the White Sox in the exact same matchup vs. Strider and the Braves (5.1IP, 6H, 4ER, 3BB, 6K 2HR, W)

I liked Lynn and I don't think he's totally cooked, but the "stupid Sox, Dodgers found one simple trick to make him a 2 ERA pitcher" narrative while he was pitching to soft offenses and still running a high FIP/low BABIP was annoying.

He has more HRs (5) and walks (3) allowed than Ks (2) in his past two starts, and more hits allowed (17) than innings (10.1). But sure, the Dodgers "fixed his pitch mix" or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Lance Lynn did his usual post-inning swearing into the void, and the Dodgers broadcaster threw some shade about how he must be fired up by being "miles away from pitching for the White Sox."

The next inning he loads the bases, walks in the tying run, gives up a slam to Acuna Jr, and then another HR for good measure while racking up 60 pitches through 2IP.

Ironically, turns in a a worse line (4.1IP, 7ER, 7H, 2BB, 1K, 3HR) than he did for the White Sox in the exact same matchup vs. Strider and the Braves (5.1IP, 6H, 4ER, 3BB, 6K 2HR, W)

I liked Lynn and I don't think he's totally cooked, but the "stupid Sox, Dodgers found one simple trick to make him a 2 ERA pitcher" narrative while he was pitching to soft offenses and still running a high FIP/low BABIP was annoying.

He has more HRs (5) and walks (3) allowed than Ks (2) in his past two starts, and more hits allowed (17) than innings (10.1). But sure, the Dodgers "fixed his pitch mix" or whatever.

The Braves are pretty much a dynasty at this point...minus another WS win or two.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Lance Lynn has given up a 6+ run/2+ HR inning for the second consecutive start.

Also his second game in a row failing to finish the 5th: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 8 ER (3 HR), 3 BB, 1K.

24 hits (7HR), 6 walks, and just 3 (!!!) strikeouts in his last 3 starts (15IP)

I was hoping smoke and mirrors would continue until the Dodgers started him in the playoffs. Now there is little to no chance of it beyond significant injuries. Still hope they get knocked out in the Division Series.

It was a homecoming for Giolito, who’s from Santa Monica, but his time with the Angels spanned just six starts. He had a 1-5 record , 6.89 earned-run average and .258 opponents batting average. He blamed himself for the underwhelming performances while crediting the Angels pitching, analytics and biomechanics staffs for helping him make quick adjustments that he said improved his velocity and the ride on his fastball.

“They did everything in their power to help me be as successful as possible,” Giolito said. “I didn't get the job done. It's unfortunate how that played out, but it's part of the game. You move on and just try and stay present. Like right now, I'm here and I want to finish strong for [the Guardians] and do everything I can to help give us a chance to sneak into the playoffs.”

yahoo.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12