6/6 Sox @ Yankees 6:05PM CT

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I can think of a few reasons. Those guys were part of the hype-train, the core that was going to lead the Sox to years of contention (LOL). Hahn and the front office are in desperate straits and now they are hoping for a miracle, so those guys will play.

In addition they are being paid a LOT of money, the Sox ego won't permit them to bench those guys or limit their playing time (unless injury related). Makes the front office look incompetent you see.  

Sheets was never considered part of the core. If they are looking for a miracle, Burger is the closest thing they have. Moncada is a sunk cost at this point.

Grifol is the one making out the line up card. Money paid to the other position players besides Moncada isn't an issue.

Just now, Autumn Dreamin said:

Has a game ever been postponed for poor air quality? Jeez.

Having just walked home in this, I would cancel it. I was spotting random bits of ash just floating in the sky.

The NWS is giving out warnings to not do any physical activity in this.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Having just walked home in this, I would cancel it. I was spotting random bits of ash just floating in the sky.

The NWS is giving out warnings to not do any physical activity in this.

The AAA matchups in Scranton and Syracuse have been postponed now for the air.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sheets should be playing given its Yankee stadium.

So that's it, just a blanket statement ? Burger is arguably your best hitter. If he had 95 more AB, the same as Robert he might be their best hitter so because it's Yankee Stadium you can't get Burger and Sheets in the lineup together ?

How many other guys in baseball do you think that have hitting stats similar to Burger haven't been in the starting lineup 4 of the last 6 games  and guys as pitiful as Moncada getting so much time ahead of him .

How many of these 18 road games is Burger going to sit when the Sox desperately need wins ?

You are just going to have to play Burger and hope his road stats improve.

If you want a 6-12 road trip and to essentially be in sell mode at the deadline keep him out of the lineup as much as you want , home and on the road. That's what Grifol has been doing anyway , starting him 1/3 of the time the last 6 games. Luckily his 1 AB of the game Grand Slam Sunday gave the Sox a win and his HBP the day before pushed the runner to 3rd base to allow the winning run to score on a wild pitch.

Burger .9 fWAR , SHeets  .1, Mocada .4, Vaughn .2 , Eloy .2 . Burger fWAR is the same as those other 4 players COMBINED !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So that's it, just a blanket statement ? Burger is arguably your best hitter. If he had 95 more AB, the same as Robert he might be their best hitter so because it's Yankee Stadium you can't get Burger and Sheets in the lineup together ?

How many other guys in baseball do you think that have hitting stats similar to Burger haven't been in the starting lineup 4 of the last 6 games  and guys as pitiful as Moncada getting so much time ahead of him .

How many of these 18 road games is Burger going to sit when the Sox desperately need wins ?

You are just going to have to play Burger and hope his road stats improve.

If you want a 6-12 road trip and to essentially be in sell mode at the deadline keep him out of the lineup as much as you want , home and on the road. That's what Grifol has been doing anyway , starting him 1/3 of the time the last 6 games. Luckily his 1 AB of the game Grand Slam Sunday gave the Sox a win and his HBP the day before pushed the runner to 3rd base to allow the winning run to score on a wild pitch.

Burger .9 fWAR , SHeets  .1, Mocada .4, Vaughn .2 , Eloy .2 . Burger fWAR is the same as those other 4 players COMBINED !

Burger has a road OPS of .463. Not sure he's the one to be contributing to your aforementioned road woes on the positive side of things. That said if they wanted to find a spot for both Sheets and Burger that'd be fine. Playing Sheets as your lefty power bat in Yankee stadium does make a lot of sense though.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I'd be OK if they immediately flew Eloy home and played short handed. I don't want Eloy breathing that air and being out for the season. Probably should avoid sending Eloy to the two Los Angeles series to avoid the smog.

The others should be in discomfort, but survive.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Burger has a road OPS of .463. Not sure he's the one to be contributing to your aforementioned road woes on the positive side of things. That said if they wanted to find a spot for both Sheets and Burger that'd be fine. Playing Sheets as your lefty power bat in Yankee stadium does make a lot of sense though.

So what's the excuse for not starting him then in only 2 of the last 6 Home games ?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Burger has the 2nd most position player fWAR on the Sox. Robert has 1.8 and Burger has 1.2 in 95 less AB. At some point the manager has to realize you don't platoon that guy . How many RHH with a season total of 12 HR and 147 OPS+ are platooned with guys who have far less WAR,  and thus less of pretty much less of everything including speed ?

I understand the home/ road splits are ugly but when you have been bad all season but playing the guys who got you to this point over the guy hitting better than just about everyone in the lineup isn't that difficult.

The team has played 61 games. Burger has played in 43 of the 61 . Of the 43 games Burger has had 2 or less Plate Appearances 9 times thus lessening his chance to make major contributions to winning games with his hitting. That leaves only 34 of 61 games when he had 3 of more PA. At some point what else can the guy do to get more playing time at home and on the road ? Things aren't going to change for the better for the Sox until you give Burger more opportunities. Moncada has looked pitiful hitting and frankly in the field too the last couple of weeks.

The Sox are very bad on the road and very bad against anyone but the AL Central. This road trip  can essentially bury the Sox for the season . Even going .500  (9-9) they are still 9 games under .500 around July 4th with the trade deadline looming.

Basically Burger is a better hitter than Moncada, Vaughn and Sheets .Why are they so accommodating to Moncada and Eloy? Instead of fooling around with Burger at 2nd base why not Moncada there ?  He hits like a 2nd baseman now. Why not give Sheets a little more time at 1st base ? There's no reason at all for Burger to have started only 2 of the last 6 games including today. 

The lefties getting the playing time got it at home too recently. If Burger is the so called weak side of the platoon I will continue to be stumped as to why. Permanent DH . Do whatever with Sheets , Moncada , Vaughn and Eloy. Burgers hitting better than all of them easily.

It's really simple.  When they want Sheets in the lineup Moncada has to move to 2B.  When Sheets is on the bench Burger is the DH and Moncada can play 3B.

43 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Dude it's bad. Here in upstate NY is bad. I thought something was burning close to work. This morning. It's bad