6/6 Sox @ Yankees 6:05PM CT

1 minute ago, soxrwhite said:

Looking at the pitching matchup and lineups, it looks pretty even for tonight's game. Both teams on small winning streaks. Minor advantage to the home team? 

Is my memory wrong if I think Giolito rises to the occasion in NY?

Looking at the pitching matchups and with no Judge (who is carrying their offense) we should be looking to take the series. Of course, knowing that we'll probably get swept and go right back down to 12 under.

5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sheets should be playing given its Yankee stadium.

Yep. I’m fine with the lineup as is but I want Burger subbed for Sheets if it’s a lefty at the crucial end of the game. Can you now move Eloy into the field without penalty?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yep. I’m fine with the lineup as is but I want Burger subbed for Sheets if it’s a lefty at the crucial end of the game. Can you now move Eloy into the field without penalty?

you still lose the dh if that player moves to a position 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/designated-hitter-rule

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Wait, so the pitcher would come to bat later? Crazy. So it’s effectively always a double substitution. 

Yep, it’s quite a way to dissuade you from doing it lol.  Or you burn up your bench and replace the pitcher every time his spot comes up, but that’s not always ideal 

1 minute ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Only in this organization does one hit a walk off grand slam, then sit the next game. 

You have a guy trying to sabotage a tank job has to be dealt with. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Line up out, no Burger. When you have no OBP, it is nice to have a guy who might run into one. I have been one of the biggest Moncada defenders on this board, but right now he’s giving you little/nothing offensively.  Sox can’t afford to punt c, 3b, ss, 2b, and power in left. How are they supposed to score?

Could you really blame Burger if he asked to be traded?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Line up out, no Burger. When you have no OBP, it is nice to have a guy who might run into one. I have been one of the biggest Moncada defenders on this board, but right now he’s giving you little/nothing offensively.  Sox can’t afford to punt c, 3b, ss, 2b, and power in left. How are they supposed to score?

Grifol has been a bad manager all year and completely over his head. He has put out questionable lineups all year. Why in the hell would anyone think he could change his errors and put the best 9 hitters in the lineup tonight? 

37 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Gavin is the ONLY player on the current roster with an OPS over 800, on the road. I understand that Burger is the flashy choice, but he has been downright terrible on the road this year, sporting a gruesome 462. This team needs all the hope it can get, while on the road, and that means Sheets in the lineup.

Burger is at 148/203/259 on the road, with 24 K's in 54 ABs.

Career:

1. Burger: 1.3 bWAR, 109 G, 375 PA, .829 OPS, .779 vs. RHP (Can play everyday), .542 Road.
  2. Sheets: -0.1 bWAR 223 G, 730 PA, .741 OPS, .375 vs. LHP (i.e. Platoon Only). .588 Road,

Recent sample size - Last 28 Days:

1. Burger 20 G, 68 PA, .924 OPS.
  2. Sheets 21 G, 64 PA, .697 OPS.

Gavin Sheets, Go Directly to Charlotte. Do Not Pass Go!. Do Not Collect $200. Await Eloy's next injury for further instructions.

BoilingWastefulKouprey-size_restricted.g

FxzuxIIWwAACNdN?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sheets couldn’t hit on the road last season.

Burger is hitting .148/.203/.259 on the road this year. Sheets is at .254/.333/.492 this year on the road.

Pretty pathetic when Pitt and Cincinnati fans are far more excited for their ballclub...the Reds are going for it THIS year in a similar division to the AL Central, bringing up McLain and Elly de la Cruz. 

Their ownership actually listened to the fans and they are drawing much bigger crowds recently. 

JR and Hahn?   Crickets. 

“Well where are you gonna go? Let’s start there. I mean, sell the team to who? That’s the other thing – you want to have this debate? If you want to look at what would you do with this team to have it be more profitable, make more money, compete more in the current economic system that this game exists – it would be to pick it up and move it somewhere else. And so be careful what you ask for […] we’re doing the best we can do with the resources that we have.”

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty pathetic when Pitt and Cincinnati fans are far more excited for their ballclub...the Reds are going for it THIS year in a similar division to the AL Central, bringing up McLain and Elly de la Cruz. 

Their ownership actually listened to the fans and they are drawing much bigger crowds recently. 

JR and Hahn?   Crickets. 

“Well where are you gonna go? Let’s start there. I mean, sell the team to who? That’s the other thing – you want to have this debate? If you want to look at what would you do with this team to have it be more profitable, make more money, compete more in the current economic system that this game exists – it would be to pick it up and move it somewhere else. And so be careful what you ask for […] we’re doing the best we can do with the resources that we have.”

Cinci sucks and is rushing their prospects in an attempt to win 86 games. If that seems familiar it's because you watched the White Sox over the last 15 years.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

JR and Hahn?   Crickets. 

Did you just, like, forget Top 100 prospect Oscar Colas starting the season in right field?

Just cause he didn't perform doesn't mean he wasn't there. Same as Jordan Walker and Grayson Rodriguez.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Burger: Not great on road

Sheets: Lefty

Yankees Stadium: Lefty heaven

I fail to see why this is difficult. Burger will likely play this series.

Burger has the 2nd most position player fWAR on the Sox. Robert has 1.8 and Burger has 1.2 in 95 less AB. At some point the manager has to realize you don't platoon that guy . How many RHH with a season total of 12 HR and 147 OPS+ are platooned with guys who have far less WAR,  and thus less of pretty much less of everything including speed ?

I understand the home/ road splits are ugly but when you have been bad all season but playing the guys who got you to this point over the guy hitting better than just about everyone in the lineup isn't that difficult.

The team has played 61 games. Burger has played in 43 of the 61 . Of the 43 games Burger has had 2 or less Plate Appearances 9 times thus lessening his chance to make major contributions to winning games with his hitting. That leaves only 34 of 61 games when he had 3 of more PA. At some point what else can the guy do to get more playing time at home and on the road ? Things aren't going to change for the better for the Sox until you give Burger more opportunities. Moncada has looked pitiful hitting and frankly in the field too the last couple of weeks.

The Sox are very bad on the road and very bad against anyone but the AL Central. This road trip  can essentially bury the Sox for the season . Even going .500  (9-9) they are still 9 games under .500 around July 4th with the trade deadline looming.

Basically Burger is a better hitter than Moncada, Vaughn and Sheets .Why are they so accommodating to Moncada and Eloy? Instead of fooling around with Burger at 2nd base why not Moncada there ?  He hits like a 2nd baseman now. Why not give Sheets a little more time at 1st base ? There's no reason at all for Burger to have started only 2 of the last 6 games including today. 

The lefties getting the playing time got it at home too recently. If Burger is the so called weak side of the platoon I will continue to be stumped as to why. Permanent DH . Do whatever with Sheets , Moncada , Vaughn and Eloy. Burgers hitting better than all of them easily.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Burger has the 2nd most position player fWAR on the Sox. Robert has 1.8 and Burger has 1.2 in 95 less AB. At some point the manager has to realize you don't platoon that guy . How many RHH with a season total of 12 HR and 147 OPS+ are platooned with guys who have far less WAR,  and thus less of pretty much less of everything including speed ?

I understand the home/ road splits are ugly but when you have been bad all season but playing the guys who got you to this point over the guy hitting better than just about everyone in the lineup isn't that difficult.

The team has played 61 games. Burger has played in 43 of the 61 . Of the 43 games Burger has had 2 or less Plate Appearances 9 times thus lessening his chance to make major contributions to winning games with his hitting. That leaves only 34 of 61 games when he had 3 of more PA. At some point what else can the guy do to get more playing time at home and on the road ? Things aren't going to change for the better for the Sox until you give Burger more opportunities. Moncada has looked pitiful hitting and frankly in the field too the last couple of weeks.

The Sox are very bad on the road and very bad against anyone but the AL Central. This road trip  can essentially bury the Sox for the season . Even going .500  (9-9) they are still 9 games under .500 around July 4th with the trade deadline looming.

Basically Burger is a better hitter than Moncada, Vaughn and Sheets .Why are they so accommodating to Moncada and Eloy? Instead of fooling around with Burger at 2nd base why not Moncada there ?  He hits like a 2nd baseman now. Why not give Sheets a little more time at 1st base ? There's no reason at all for Burger to have started only 2 of the last 6 games including today. 

The lefties getting the playing time got it at home too recently. If Burger is the so called weak side of the platoon I will continue to be stumped as to why. Permanent DH . Do whatever with Sheets , Moncada , Vaughn and Eloy. Burgers hitting better than all of them easily.

I can think of a few reasons. Those guys were part of the hype-train, the core that was going to lead the Sox to years of contention (LOL). Hahn and the front office are in desperate straits and now they are hoping for a miracle, so those guys will play.

In addition they are being paid a LOT of money, the Sox ego won't permit them to bench those guys or limit their playing time (unless injury related). Makes the front office look incompetent you see.