I think I've fallen in love with the Cincinnati Reds

Dan Pasqua

6 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

Anybody else rooting for these guys?  You talk about amazing.  

Shocking, yes.

Have gone from Dodgers/Puig to 2013-2016 Royals to Indians/Twins to Machado/Tatis/Padres to O'Neil Cruz last year (Pirates are still a fun story) and now the Reds.

That's how bad the White Sox have been this past decade that someone who lived and died with the team in my teens, twenties and thirties aren't even worth watching or listening to a full game when the results are already all too predictable...except the the 7th 8th 9th inning Grifol methods of screwing up yet another unique way.

There's nothing more fun than following an "underdog" team with an abundant farm system.  Especially from either Central Division, because they're already underdogs (except the Cubs and Cards.)

Have spent a lot of time this year watching the Rays too, which inevitably only makes the White Sox seem that much worse by comparison.

In the end, I'm more embracing the sport itself than the White Sox as an individual team as we see over and over again how much JR, KW and Hahn don't really care about what the loyal fans of the team think...

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

Keep in mind, anyone beating up on the Royals...don't put too much stock into that at all.

The White Sox even managed that feat for one series.

Four homers already tonight at The K.  McClain and India back to back. Pouring it on. 7-1.

The Royals are probably going to lose one of their beat writers by the end of this week, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

"I just hope both teams have fun" with an emoji heart.

Kauffman sign tonight.

Just lost Pasquantino for the season due to shoulder surgery and Sal Perez is likely to be traded to TB even though the GM (quite obviously) has no choice but to deny it...as he's the all-time favorite for many Royals' fans over the last decade plus.

The Sox will always be #1 in my heart but I’ve adopted the Rays as my second favorite MLB team, not just recently, probably around 20 years now. Same with the TB Lightning, never miss a game on TV but I still love the Blackhawks. As far as the Bears, Bulls and of course the Cubs, no interest at all except I pull extremely hard for teams that are playing the Flubs with one exception, when they play the Red Sox, I despise all Boston teams and 99% of their fans.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

23 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Whitesox or no baseball for me. Don't really care anymore

High School and college. I may start following Houston or Dallas. It's the path of least resistance. But just saying no more professional might be the ticket. It's all just a reality TV scam. 

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There's nothing more fun than following an "underdog" team with an abundant farm system.  Especially from either Central Division, because they're already underdogs (except the Cubs and Cards.)

Have spent a lot of time this year watching the Rays too, which inevitably only makes the White Sox seem that much worse by comparison.

In the end, I'm more embracing the sport itself than the White Sox as an individual team as we see over and over again how much JR, KW and Hahn don't really care about what the loyal fans of the team think...

This echoes a notion I have had in the past few years of lousy White Sox baseball. In this era where we have technology that allows us to watch any team we want, is the bandwagon approach actually the smart play? We've been shamed to think it is a poor approach to fandom, but why?

Rarely are White Sox players from the area, so it's not as if you're cheering for the hometown boys. Further, while the ballpark experience is fun, it is grossly overpriced and there are cheaper summer alternatives like local minor league baseball, among others.

So, why let a lousy franchise with a consistently mediocre product make us miserable while we watch a game we supposedly love, all while pouring hard earned $$$ into that franchise? If you really just love fun quality baseball, it makes more sense to invest in the MLB package and follow the young up and coming exciting teams. Then go to a Chicago Dogs game when you want a fun outing to the ballpark. The White Sox are just not worth my time, $, and emotions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pants Rowland

I've been thinking exactly that. Plus living outside of Chicago my "teams" based on local fan base support and blackouts are Spurs, Astros, Cowboys, and Stars. 

Yesterday I got the idea this really is just a reality TV show I follow. I'm not going to a game in person, won't be reading any news articles anymore, this is the easiest time to put them on the back burner. Last year I stopped checking every game. This year I cancelled every paid baseball related subscription. 

Finally, realistically they will not win another World Series in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I believe this is the same Reds team where their GM was ecstatic in the 2018 MLB draft, when the White Sox under the genius Rick Hahn, took Nick Madrigal at #4 in the first round, which then allowed the Reds to steal away Jonathon India at #5.

India has been a solid/versatile player, but not exactly a transcendant one. 

They also have their own big-time disappointment with Nick Senzel. 

But also much more more quality minor league depth and certainly investment in Latin America.  No other choice for small market clubs hoping to survive against the Cubs and Cards. 

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

India has been a solid/versatile player, but not exactly a transcendant one. 

They also have their own big-time disappointment with Nick Senzel. 

But also much more more quality minor league depth and certainly investment in Latin America.  No other choice for small market clubs hoping to survive against the Cubs and Cards. 

I beg to differ. I never said India was a transcendent player. I simply said he was the better choice than Madrigal at #4.

India has been tremendously better than Madrigal and frankly much better than many of our Sox hitters. 

India is having a great season with 8 HR's, 36 RBI's 12 SB, and a stat line of .278/.361/.433/.794/1.3

For comparison sake, on the Sox team his numbers would be;

HR    T3rd
RBI     2nd
SB       1st
BA      1st
OBP   1st
SLG    4th
OPS   3rd
WAR  2nd

Hence why there is no debate in what I posted, that Hahn F*^ked up taking Madrigal over India in 2018 with 4th overall pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Cincy GM Nick Krall worked for the 'Moneyball' 2001 Oakland A's

The Cincinnati Enquirer profiled Krall in May 2018. 

The story detailed Krall's path to the Reds' GM job that started when he was an intern for Oakland. Of course the A's, about as cash-strapped as the Reds are these days, used Krall as a grounds crew member, bat boy and GM Billy Beane's secretary. 

"He’s like a lot of people in baseball. He got his foot in the door and was willing to do pretty much any job. Just look at the 2001 season: Krall was 24. He had interned the year before for the now-defunct New Jersey Cardinals of the New York-Penn. The A’s job was a chance to work in the big leagues. 

“Let me start at the beginning,” Krall said. “I worked on the grounds crew during spring training. When the season started, I was the baseball ops intern all season. I was also the bat boy. One of the people got sick, so I was Billy’s secretary for a couple of months."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2022/03/15/nick-krall-cincinnati-reds-gm-here-5-things-know/7049238001/

This is yet another reason Getz or Haber shouldn't get the Sox job... not nearly enough multifaceted experiences. 

Nick Krall joined the Reds in 2003

"After that internship with Oakland, Krall brought his talents to Cincinnati before the 2003 Reds season. 

Krall was hired to oversee the team's advance scouting preparation and worked his way through to the top of the front office. He was the team's assistant director of baseball operations from 2008-13, promoted to director of baseball operations in 2013 and named assistant GM in November, 2015."

The next day, the Reds moved to sign De La Cruz. Because they went way over the international bonus allotment the previous signing period to land Jose Barrero ($5 million), Alfredo Rodriguez ($7 million) and Vladimir Gutierrez ($4.75 million), they were penalized and could have no signings of players for over $300,000.

Good thing no one else was really after De La Cruz. Cartagena and Jimenez signed him for only $65,000 on July 2, 2018.

“Right now, everyone thinks it’s a steal," Cartagena said.

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-the-reds-scouted-top-prospect-elly-de-la-cruz

Very similar story to Tatis...minus the famous father and baseball pedigree. 

Raw/skinny athlete who wasn't noticed due to lack of power matures late physically... sprouts up almost overnight and becomes a star. 

Reds should be looking at Gio Lynn Clevinger etc. 

Currently are down four starting pitchers...Lodolo out until at least August

"Cincinnati Reds starter Ben Lively has a bum pec, and it has sent him to the 15-day injured list as of Saturday afternoon. That means he joins Nick Lodolo, Hunter Greene, Connor Overton, Justin Dunn, Vlad Gutierrez, Tejay Antone, Tony Santillan, Derek Law, and Casey Legumina in the team’s pitching infirmary, with Graham Ashcraft (dead arm/death of grandparent) having only just emerged from said list earlier today.

The Reds announced the IL decision, though they’ve yet to announce who will take Lively’s spot on the roster."

redlegnation.com

Edited by caulfield12