6/25 Gamethread

reiks12

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Except for the 9th inning against Miami last weekend.

Those were 2 tough losses.

Those two games kind of ended the season for me.  I just can't back into it.  Watched 4th through end on delay today.  Great pitching and  Robert.  Offense was  terrible outside of Robert and Benentendi. 

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Burger's OBP is down to .271. He is going to need to make an adjustment ASAP.

I totally agree. However when you think about, Robert also struggled for awhile with pitches outside the zone and made the correct adjustments to lay off pitches outside the zone. Hopefully Burger can learn the same thing. 

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Saw in a tweet from Merkin a couple days ago that they have a MLB-best 3.29 ERA since 5/13. And these last two games will have lowered it even further.

Should have won more games with that ERA, but offense is generally anemic.

• Like 1

In my Sox lifetime which goes back awhile, I am not sure I ever witnessed a player like Robert before, who crushes the ball. as hard as he does. I'm thinking maybe Frank Thomas, but nobody else even close.

Btw, Grifol gave Robert a very long and glowing speech in the post game show of how amazing Robert truly is. He didn't just talk about his hitting, which obviously he highlighted, but also stressed how Robert is probably one of the best centerfielders in baseball. Grifol could not emphasize enough, what Robert does in center is not easy, but he makes it look so easy. 

Heaven forbid, over the next few years if we could ever surround Robert with great on base hitters, both in front and back of him, how much more phenomenal his numbers could be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Should have won more games with that ERA, but offense is generally anemic.

Yep, even with that great ERA they aren't better than a little over .500 in that stretch.

For any hope, they need a nice stretch of 8 or 9 wins out of 10 games. Playing .500 ball the rest of the way does nothing after that abysmal start of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

18 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

In my Sox lifetime which goes back awhile, I am not sure I ever witnessed a player like Robert before, who crushes the ball. as hard as he does. I'm thinking maybe Frank Thomas, but nobody else even close.

Btw, Grifol gave Robert a very long and glowing speech in the post game show of how amazing Robert truly is. He didn't just talk about his hitting, which obviously he highlighted, but also stressed how Robert is probably one of the best centerfielders in baseball. Grifol could not emphasize enough, what Robert does in center is not easy, but he makes it look so easy. 

Heaven forbid, over the next few years if we could ever surround Robert with great on base hitters, both in front and back of him, how much more phenomenal his numbers could be. 

Robert probably did not understand the language Grifol was using.  Hope he had a translator near by,  

23 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I think about this at some point during every game. Watching him glide around in CF is incredible. I don't think his defense is appreciated nearly enough. He is a generationally good defensive player.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think about this at some point during every game. Watching him glide around in CF is incredible. I don't think his defense is appreciated nearly enough. He is a generationally good defensive player.

He makes difficult plays look easy.  He is also not too emotional and just goes about his business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

One of the best defensive center fielders in Sox history.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Benintendi is the lead off hitter that I was looking for the whole season.  Wasted too many opportunities with TA leading off most of the season.

He'd be a great two spot hitter if there was anyone who could work a count and run a little to lead off.  A clog like Vaughn in the two spot does nothing for me.  Anderson, if he comes back, should be in the nine hole.

But if AB's all we have with a reasonable OBP, so be it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I totally agree. However when you think about, Robert also struggled for awhile with pitches outside the zone and made the correct adjustments to lay off pitches outside the zone. Hopefully Burger can learn the same thing. 

Burger way behind Robert in experience facing professional pitching. Just add up all their plate appearances in minors and majors.

1 hour ago, gogosox1959 said:

Jungle Jim was in right.  Jim Landis was in center.  He was super smooth.  There's  a famous photo of him virtually jumping old (low) centerfield wall in old Comiskey.  5 Gold Gloves: 1960-1961-1962-1963-1964

I thought that was Ken Berry going over the CF fence ass 1st

White Sox Centerfielders Average fWAR per 162 Games (Games Played; White Sox fWAR) :

Minimum 8.0 career White Sox fWAR

Modern Era:

1. 5.14 Tommy Agee (328; 10.4)
  2. 5.12 Luis Robert Junior (297; 9.4)
  3. 4.71 Adam Eaton (491; 14.3)
  4. 4.68 Chet Lemon (785; 22.7)
  5. 3.63 Aaron Rowand (579; 13.0)
  6. 3.09 Jim Landis (1063; 20.3)
  7. 2.95 Lance Johnson (945; 17.2)
  8. 1.52 Ken Berry (894; 8.4)

Jim Crow Era:

1. 4.55 Fielder Jones (1,153; 32.4)
  2. 4.26 Happy Felsch (749; 19.7)
  3. 4.17 Al Simmons (412; 10.6)
  4. 3.83 Johnny Mostil (972; 23.0)
  5. 2.69 Mike Kreevich (826; 13.7)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Burger way behind Robert in experience facing professional pitching. Just add up all their plate appearances in minors and majors.

It's possible nothing can be done at this point, but I'm convinced Burger's issues recognizing spin (and his poor plate discipline generally) are largely due to years of lost development time. He was a low strikeout rate guy in college & in the minors prior to all of his injuries.

• Hawk 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

White Sox Centerfielders Average fWAR per 162 Games (Games Played; White Sox fWAR) :

Minimum 8.0 career White Sox fWAR

Modern Era:

1. 5.14 Tommy Agee (328; 10.4)
  2. 5.12 Luis Robert Junior (297; 9.4)
  3. 4.71 Adam Eaton (491; 14.3)
  4. 4.68 Chet Lemon (785; 22.7)
  5. 3.63 Aaron Rowand (579; 13.0)
  6. 3.09 Jim Landis (1063; 20.3)
  7. 2.95 Lance Johnson (945; 17.2)
  8. 1.52 Ken Berry (894; 8.4)

Jim Crow Era:

1. 4.55 Fielder Jones (1,153; 32.4)
  2. 4.26 Happy Felsch (749; 19.7)
  3. 4.17 Al Simmons (412; 10.6)
  4. 3.83 Johnny Mostil (972; 23.0)
  5. 2.69 Mike Kreevich (826; 13.7)

You must be a savant on baseball reference. That's good stuff.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You must be a savant on baseball reference. That's good stuff.

Thanks, though I use fWAR for Fangraphs, since as it seems most here prefer. I do use bWAR / Baseball Reference at times, easier to navigate at times.

Tommy Agee broke in with the White Sox, won Rookie of the Year and 8th in MVP voting his first season, an All Star both seasons. Tommy was traded before season three in one of the worst trades in White Sox history, and one of the best in Mets history.

December 15, 1967: Traded by the Chicago White Sox with Al Weis to the New York Mets for Buddy Booker, Tommy Davis, Jack Fisher and Billy Wynne.

1969 Postseason

• Tommy Agee 36 PA; .896 OPS, 3 HRs, 5 RBIs; 3 SB
  • Al Weis 16 PA, 1.196 OPS, HR & 3 RBIs

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought that was Ken Berry going over the CF fence ass 1st

Both Landis and Berry made a habit of taking home runs away in CF, but yes it was Berry that fell over the fence. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1