Updated MLB Farm System Rankings After 2023 MLB Draft

The Kids Can Play

15 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If you want to be naive and believe its all good down there, that your choice.

Yes there are some interesting prospects down in the minors, but not enough to help now or by next season. The good ones are in low and high A. We for sure don't have prospects ready to go at the big league level like the Dodgers, Reds, Guardians and Orioles have. 

Lol you're reaching here. I never said it was all good because I'm well aware that it isn't and said as much. However, it's also not the 2012 White Sox top 30 list compromised of Addison Reed and trash. That was an absolute trash system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

And what we are saying is we care about baseball America putting the Sox 26th because they get live looks on players and get good information, and don’t care about bleacher report even if it ranked Sox #1 because it is written for people who google “updated farm system rankings”

1 minute ago, bmags said:

And what we are saying is we care about baseball America putting the Sox 26th because they get live looks on players and get good information, and don’t care about bleacher report even if it ranked Sox #1 because it is written for people who google “updated farm system rankings”

Wow, love how you twist and turn things around. I was doing the Google search only to see if Baseball America had done an update to the last one. 

Again I'm agreeing with you and we can go by Baseball America. New flash, they are #26 by BA. yeah you're right a huge improvement over #29.  

I'm glad there are such baseball gurus like yourself to straighten me out. LMAO!

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Lol you're reaching here. I never said it was all good because I'm well aware that it isn't and said as much. However, it's also not the 2012 White Sox top 30 list compromised of Addison Reed and trash. That was an absolute trash system. 

This Sox farm has been bad for a few years now, It is why they have such a horrible roster and losing record. Maybe we're playing semantics here, but if it's not a "trash" farm, let's call it a very poor farm system that will not have much help for now or in 2024.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This Sox farm has been bad for a few years now, It is why they have such a horrible roster and losing record. Maybe we're playing semantics here, but if it's not a "trash" farm, let's call it a very poor farm system that will not have much help for now or in 2024.

They just don't develop anyone thats not premium like Sale and Robert. They haven't had a 2nd round pick put up a 2.0 career WAR for them for over 50 years. When is the last time they drafted a guy anywhere but the first round and he became a real solid regular player?  The only time they weren't among the worst systems is when they traded for players other teams developed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This is a little bit of recency bias and revisionist history. MLB had the system ranked 2019: 9th , 2020: 11th and 2021: 16th based on many of the players on the roster now. While many of them aren't living up to their potential, the farm system up until last year wasn't bad.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Whether they are 26th or 29th, it’s still a s%*# farm.

I agree. What's the difference between 22 and 30? Chances are you may have a reliever who can sometimes get people out, and a few replascement level guys. I'm still waiting for the White Sox to develop someone not highly thought of when signed,  that becomes a professional hitter. Like Maggs, but doesn't even need to be as good as he was. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I find it hard to believe a team with Montgomery and Schultz would be ranked 29th.

Montgomery and Schultz are great prospects but they are not why the Sox are 29th or 26th by Baseball America. You have to include all levels. Schultz is great but only at low A Kannapolis. Montgomery is also great but only at high A Winston Salem. Where the Sox are bad compared to the strong farm systems, is how weak the Sox are with the AA Barons and AAA Knights. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is a little bit of recency bias and revisionist history. MLB had the system ranked 2019: 9th , 2020: 11th and 2021: 16th based on many of the players on the roster now. While many of them aren't living up to their potential, the farm system up until last year wasn't bad.

Of course it's based on the recent results. Baseball teams don't sustain greatness living off past years results. The Dodgers and Rays are two of the better teams in baseball because every year they develop talent and never let it get bad like the Sox did. 

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Of course it's based on the recent results. Baseball teams don't sustain greatness living off past years results. The Dodgers and Rays are two of the better teams in baseball because every year they develop talent and never let it get bad like the Sox did. 

It hasn't been bad for a  years like you said or even imply here. It's been bad 2.

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They just don't develop anyone thats not premium like Sale and Robert. They haven't had a 2nd round pick put up a 2.0 career WAR for them for over 50 years. When is the last time they drafted a guy anywhere but the first round and he became a real solid regular player?  The only time they weren't among the worst systems is when they traded for players other teams developed. 

That's a great point we sometimes forget. The best Sox players recently have been prospects we traded for that were drafted by other clubs like Cease, Dunning and Giolito, The only recent Sox prospects developed by the Sox were Robert and Anderson. Even the ones like Moncada and Eloy we traded for can't even stay healthy.

• Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It hasn't been bad for a  years like you said or even imply here. It's been bad 2.

Read my post again. I didn't say it was bad for years. Yes it's the last two years 29th in 2022 and 26th 2023. My point was the Dodgers and Rays and other great consistent teams have been good in the top 5-10 farm systems every year for the past 10 years. If you have great scouts, great drafting and solid player development coaches in the minors, than you shouldn't need to fall off so dramatically like the Sox did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Read my post again. I didn't say it was bad for years. Yes it's the last two years 29th in 2022 and 26th 2023. My point was the Dodgers and Rays and other great consistent teams have been good in the top 5-10 farm systems every year for the past 10 years. If you have great scouts, great drafting and solid player development coaches in the minors, than you shouldn't need to fall off so dramatically like the Sox did.

A quote from your post an hour ago "This Sox farm has been bad for a few years now,"

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You know it's a bunk list when they have Jacob Gonzalez at two and Schultz still at four.

Not easy to be 29 you must have all members dedicated fuckups tripping over the same rope. 

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This is one of the biggest failings of this organisation, many of the prospects drafted or traded for in the last few years have simply failed to live up to their billing. In very few of those cases were the original drafts or trades massively criticised but the Sox have ruined them in one way or another. Just look at the 'development' of Crochet and Kopech, neither of whom look like ever reaching anywhere near the higher end of their potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

A quote from your post an hour ago "This Sox farm has been bad for a few years now,"

I'm so sorry, My bad. I used the term "few" which can mean two and where I should have in fact said TWO! Btw, one of the many definitions of the word "few" is a small number and can be used for designate two. But for your clarification, I was referring to the last two years.

Additionally whether it was two or three years, it doesn't matter. That is too many years in a row and is absolutely why the Sox are screwed for the next few years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

This is one of the biggest failings of this organisation, many of the prospects drafted or traded for in the last few years have simply failed to live up to their billing. In very few of those cases were the original drafts or trades massively criticised but the Sox have ruined them in one way or another. Just look at the 'development' of Crochet and Kopech, neither of whom look like ever reaching anywhere near the higher end of their potential.

You're absolutely right and this will never change while Rick Hahn is the GM and probably even until Reinsdorf is gone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I'm so sorry, My bad. I used the term "few" which can mean two and where I should have in fact said TWO! Btw, one of the many definitions of the word "few" is a small number and can be used for designate two. But for your clarification, I was referring to the last two years.

Additionally whether it was two or three years, it doesn't matter. That is too many years in a row and is absolutely why the Sox are screwed for the next few years. 

Got it. Just sounded like you were implying that it's been a really long time that they haven't been ranked and that the current front office hasn't produced a good farm system in a longtime based on the performance of the current group. That's what it sounded like.

Guess I'm too old to realize the "few" has so many definitions.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Got it. Just sounded like you were implying that it's been a really long time that they haven't been ranked and that the current front office hasn't produced a good farm system in a longtime based on the performance of the current group. That's what it sounded like.

Guess I'm too old to realize the "few" has so many definitions.

The sad fact is, none of us here should have to argue about the state of the Sox farm system, if only our loser owner would do something about this horrible front office and go hire some young up and coming stud executive from A winning organization like the Dodgers, Rays, Guardians, etc. who know how to build a successful and productive farm system yearly.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JoeC said:

So this is what we've come to... arguing about which source best supports the conclusion that we suck.

It's really amazing that just a year and a half ago the sox made the playoffs two years in a row for the first time in moxern history. It has been like falling off a cliff.