2023 College Football Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Berman voice "Prime Time Prime Time Prime Time."

Travis Hunter can ball.

Really fun game to watch.

Huge test of the Matt Rhule Era in just his second game in Boulder for Nebraska next week.

Colorado is must watch TV with so many weapons at the skill positions.

They're undersized have no past run and almost completely wore down one heat but what a debut.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

It was 100 degrees there. Please tell me he used 'boiling' and  'Rice' in the same sentence at some point.

A side line reporter measured the turf temp at 165°

Rice hung tough for the half.

In other news Texas State with a nice upset at Baylor. 

I wonder if Sanders is the start of what already began in college basketball where these very dynamic, popular former players are going to be getting recruited into coaching since they will be able to probably bring some of their own connections into bringing NIL money into the program.

In basketball, you had it start in former players running AAU programs, then bringing penny hardaway to memphis. After that we see Juwan Howard, Stackhouse, ...we'll skip over Ewing.

Now with the energy Sanders is bringing to the game, I wonder if more mid-level/fcs programs will recruit players directly to head coach positions. That may be more attractive to those players than having to run through the typical gauntlet a head coach needs to go through.

Would finally be a positive development for the player-to-coach pipeline.

Gotta give Deion credit, he hired a tremendous staff to help coach while he recruits.  It's a great model, he's got the name, recognition, strategy, budget, etc to make this work (though it's only been 1 week so far).  

I would argue plenty of those former players (Juwan Howard for example) have been terrible compared to expectations of those jobs.  I don't think this is something that can be easily replicated though.

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

Gotta give Deion credit, he hired a tremendous staff to help coach while he recruits.  It's a great model, he's got the name, recognition, strategy, budget, etc to make this work (though it's only been 1 week so far).  

I would argue plenty of those former players (Juwan Howard for example) have been terrible compared to expectations of those jobs.  I don't think this is something that can be easily replicated though.

I would also say probably only Penny is truly similar. That AAU star recruit is a lot more similar to what Deon started doing at Jackson state than Hardaway/Howard (NBA Assistants).

I don't think Howard has really coached out of step with Michigan. They've been pretty boom/bust last 20 years. He got them a number 1 seed in year 3 of coaching.

8 hours ago, bmags said:

I wonder if Sanders is the start of what already began in college basketball where these very dynamic, popular former players are going to be getting recruited into coaching since they will be able to probably bring some of their own connections into bringing NIL money into the program.

In basketball, you had it start in former players running AAU programs, then bringing penny hardaway to memphis. After that we see Juwan Howard, Stackhouse, ...we'll skip over Ewing.

Now with the energy Sanders is bringing to the game, I wonder if more mid-level/fcs programs will recruit players directly to head coach positions. That may be more attractive to those players than having to run through the typical gauntlet a head coach needs to go through.

Would finally be a positive development for the player-to-coach pipeline.

GT is hoping Stoudamire can do this for their hoops.  It’s really too bad they didn’t get Sanders for football, as he wanted the job.