Sox trade INTL $ to LAD for two RHPs

Sleepy Harold

Pardon my ignorance, but we have given away the right to spend money, in exchange for guys that have already been paid their signing bonus by LAD?  

And they are willing to give them away just for the right to spend more money next period?

This has to be bad.  Like it can't not be bad.  

Edit:  is there any possible chance the LAD have a glut of players at the A level and these two have nowhere to go?  So when they didn't get dealt at the deadline, they are turning them into more or better ACL guys?   I mean, if so, the Dodgers obviously can't love them, but it makes it slightly possible this wasn't just a money saving move by the Sox. 

Edited by GREEDY
Thought about it for more than 1 second
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Pardon my ignorance, but we have given away the right to spend money, in exchange for guys that have already been paid their signing bonus by LAD?  

And they are willing to give them away just for the right to spend more money next period?

This has to be bad.  Like it can't not be bad.  

I think it's for money in the current class, although it wasn't specified in the release.

Absolutely despise our approach to international. For an org that has struggled to maintain depth, they use it to pick one or two guys they like, then a bunch of guys that roll into camp.

Imagine if paddy didn’t serve in a lazy org that demanded nothing of him? Maybe that was the appeal.

• Like 3

https://dodgersdigest.com/2023/05/10/dodgers-prospect-notes-video-from-extended-spring-training-provides-looks-at-figueroa-emerging-de-paula-munoz-homers-a-trio-of-young-flamethrowers/

During this contest that saw the Dodgers giving the baby Giants all they could handle, the Dodgers sent out three really live arms in a row — 20-year-old Aldrin Batista, 19-year-old Reynaldo Yean, and 20-year-old Alvaro Benua. All three sat 98-101, and all three topped out at 102. Yeeeeeeesh.”

• Like 1

ACL Dodgers right-hander Aldrin Batista went 2-0 with a 1.40 ERA in five appearances (three starts) as he allowed just nine hits and three earned runs in 19 1/3 innings. He struck out 25 and held opponents to a .143 average. Batista, 20, was originally signed by Los Angeles (NL) as an international free agent out of Azua, Dominican Republic, on June 1, 2022.

https://www.milb.com/news/minor-league-baseball-june-2023-players-of-the-month

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

Friedman selling him in exchange for more intl money tells me all I need to know about what was more valuable.

jerry-reinsdorf.jpg

Kenny, you saved me from spending more money.  God I love you.  I am so sorry I allowed that Rick Hahn to mess up our normal operating procedure.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

I mean, haven't all the good players from the 2023 international class already signed?  If Sox had no one to sign (or no one was interested in signing, or not enough $ to to sign the decent ones that were left) isn't trading it for 2 live arms better than just not spending it?

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

https://dodgersdigest.com/2023/05/10/dodgers-prospect-notes-video-from-extended-spring-training-provides-looks-at-figueroa-emerging-de-paula-munoz-homers-a-trio-of-young-flamethrowers/

During this contest that saw the Dodgers giving the baby Giants all they could handle, the Dodgers sent out three really live arms in a row — 20-year-old Aldrin Batista, 19-year-old Reynaldo Yean, and 20-year-old Alvaro Benua. All three sat 98-101, and all three topped out at 102. Yeeeeeeesh.”

Can't wait until they get a velocity belt from Katz...110 mph possible.

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Instead of signing a couple 14 yr olds they traded for a couple 20 yr olds.  I don't see a lot to get upset about here.  

Which door do you choose:

Door #1:  Two 20 year old players that are owed just the minor league minimum.

Door #2:  Two 14 year old international signees that require $400k in signing bonuses.  

The Sox choose Door #1.  Not only did the Dodgers choose Door #2, but they gave up 2 players just for the right to choose Door #2.

• Like 1