Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

Ozzie called out Pedro for talking out of both sides of his mouth. The day after he said winning trumped development right now, he held out Robert, but said he could play if it was a must win type game.

Ozzie did think holding Robert out was the right thing to do.

Edited by Dick Allen

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Pedro has to be in the top 5 percent of worst managers that ever made it 100 games. This guy is bad, and everyone knows it except the White Sox.

I am continually amazed just how bad he is.  Honestly, if he gets a second season it’s simply because Jerry is too cheap to buy him out of his contract.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I am continually amazed just how bad he is.  Honestly, if he gets a second season it’s simply because Jerry is too cheap to buy him out of his contract.

Bob today, had a list of 10 guys who may get fired. Pedro didn’t make it. Bob Melvin did. If Bob Melvin is available and the Sox stay with Pedro, it would be amazingly stupid.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bob today, had a list of 10 guys who may get fired. Pedro didn’t make it. Bob Melvin did. If Bob Melvin is available and the Sox stay with Pedro, it would be amazingly stupid.

Since no one expects either Kenny or Hahn to get fired (or retire or resign) you think they are going to fire Pedro after only one year and basically admit to the world that they screwed up big time yet again?

Not happening. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's one of those guys like Manuel Torborg Renteria really good with young teams but I'm not sure he's the "final step" guy.

Of course, the White Sox aren't anywhere close to being a WS contender any more.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Since no one expects either Kenny or Hahn to get fired (or retire or resign) you think they are going to fire Pedro after only one year and basically admit to the world that they screwed up big time yet again?

Not happening. 

The Sox spent 5 brutal seasons to prove just how “brilliant” they were with the Robin Ventura hire. They have a tendency to throw seasons down the toilet in an effort to show us how “advanced” they are at hiring managers and evaluating talent. 
You better believe the following things will happen in 2024: 

Jerry will continue to be an absentee landlord.  
Kenny will continue to bring Jerry’s proxies to owners meetings and occasionally chime in on a deal when he feels like it. 
Hahn will continue his horrible tenure as GM, continuing to rip anyone who questions the character of culture and or structure of this amazingly advanced franchise. He will help his boy, Pedro by trading from the teams top 10 prospects to acquire the expensive and washed up Salvadore Perez. (Gotta fix that culture!)
Pedro keeps his job as manager, will chaulk up the 2024 season as the team being edgier than ever and they will now focus MORE on those little things and the culture will be even more culturie! Will claim all the toxic players will have been removed from the clubhouse. (Yet, Moncada and TA will remain) 

Remember fans, they don’t want you criticizing their horrible track record. If you do, you are a member of the cesspool upper deck club. And we must be punished, so no Soxfest 2024 for us! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
  • TLR 1

He's in his first season as manager. I think there are plenty of reasons to think he'll improve in the next couple of seasons. 

He won't be fired. He isn't going to get a better offer and tank to get out of his contract early. Our only hope is he grows into the job as the team improves. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, Dick Allen said:

Pedro has to be in the top 5 percent of worst managers that ever made it 100 games. This guy is bad, and everyone knows it except the White Sox.

Pedro has an MWAR for managers of minus 10 which is a modern record. 

I'm wondering how many games he cost us. Probably more than 10. JR did make me regret TLR leaving. It actually did get worse.  If they kept Ricky we'd probably be talking dynasty. At least multiple playoff appearances instead of cleaning house. 

• Fire 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Not happening. 

I dunno seems pretty possible with JR coming out in the paper a few months ago and basically calling Pedro trash

Pedro needs to go, but he doesn't have control of the roster. Hes playing the guys he has been given.

Rick Hahn or whoever you believe is running the show has the power to focus on development the rest of the year, yet they still are rostering these guys.

Grandal and Elvis should have been DFA two weeks ago. If Elvis is playing good right now, then let him go to maybe sign on somewhere to help with a playoff push. He is useless here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He is a horrible manager.

One thing I find interesting is now that they are out of it, but wins still matter to him, guys are going multiple innings out of the pen.  When winning mattered that never happened, even if a guy threw 5 pitches to get out of an inning. 

Almost like he knows he’s shitcanned and is managing for his next gig. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Would love to see him fired but unless Kenny and Hahn go with him it will not be happening. They won't admit they blew another crucial decision. 

My thoughts exactly. They'd have to publicly "wear it" that this was a terrible hire. The firing would be as much an indictment of Hahn/KW as it would be for Grifol. They also likely know they'll be 500 at best next season, so there's little risk in going into 2024 with a lame duck manager. 

7 hours ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

My thoughts exactly. They'd have to publicly "wear it" that this was a terrible hire. The firing would be as much an indictment of Hahn/KW as it would be for Grifol. They also likely know they'll be 500 at best next season, so there's little risk in going into 2024 with a lame duck manager. 

A .500 record is very unlikely in my opinion. What quality free agents would sign here? Guys talk and the word around the league is that the Sox are a compete dumpster fire with a bad clubhouse culture, an idiot for a manager and a FO who doesn’t communicate at all.

They need to clean house, fire the coaching staff (I’d keep Katz) and use next year as a rebuilding season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fixing a club house culture gone wrong. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-first-year-manager-combats-culture-problem-espn-jeff-passan

I find crazy that twenty and thirty year old men need adult guidance. But comparing the Rangers to the Sox and the stories that have come out it's obvious. 

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Fixing a club house culture gone wrong. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-first-year-manager-combats-culture-problem-espn-jeff-passan

I find crazy that twenty and thirty year old men need adult guidance. But comparing the Rangers to the Sox and the stories that have come out it's obvious. 

Exactly TSox….Dallas Sox Fan here…Bochy is humble and commands respect wherever he goes…Rangers want to play hard for him and do…he keeps the roster fully engaged with fair and balanced gameday lineups…when Rangers recently played in SanFran the fans and xGiants loved the man…Old School yes but he motivates and leads from today’s dugout…difference between winners here and losers on the SouthSide…

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, caulfield12 said:

He's one of those guys like Manuel Torborg Renteria really good with young teams but I'm not sure he's the "final step" guy.

Of course, the White Sox aren't anywhere close to being a WS contender any more.

Pedroil would be for a young re-building team. This team was full of flawed veterans. Hahn thought the Cuban connection would be worthwhile. Robert is having his best year.