Betts calls out White Sox for not defending Tim Anderson after KO punch, D Backs have team meeting about protocols for similar situations

caulfield12

18 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

I love how the Hamburg Athletic Club contingent of Sox fans fall all over themselves to roast TA, regardless of what he does.

I don't care that he got into a fight. Its stupid but whatever. But when you put your hands up and start to take swings sometimes they swing back.  The entire point of everyone going out there is to help to make sure that your player is protected and no one is cheap shotting them.  I guess the Meathead Couch Potato Tough guy contingent of Sox fans wanted 4 players to hold down Ramirez while TA got to throw flying elbows until he was all tuckered out.  This is a baseball game.  A fight happened.   The fight was between two combatants. who both squared up and had equal ability to strike and to win. Fighting is not a group sport.  Thank you for my Ted Talk.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Since 2013, only the Rockies, Reds, Detroit and Miami have fewer wins than the Sox, and my guess is the Reds overtake the Sox by the end of the season, as they are only 5 games worse than the Sox during that time. 

The Angels, A's and Pirates all have more wins than the Sox in the last decade. Royals too. 

The Sox are objectively one of the worst teams in MLB over the last decade. 

That’s a disgrace for a Major Market team and we have JR and his sad sack of a front office to thank for this embarrassment 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Utter nonsense, so Betts thinks more White Sox players should have been throwing punches? How come no other Guardians players threw punches? Does that mean they don't support Ramirez? 

As a former teacher the 'fight' was just like so many playground fights, after 1 or 2 punches it virtually always degenerates into pushing and shoving and 'hold me back' posturing.

This isn't a playground full of second graders out on recess.  This is professional sports.  It's an absurdly bad look not to retaliate in a situation where reactions are read as indicators of pride, culture, cohesiveness, and brotherhood.  

No manager is going to punish his guys for suspensions they may receive while sticking up for their teammates.  Outside of, apparently, Pedro Grifol, most managers would applaud such a reaction.  

And TA didn't start that s%*#, Ramirez's soft ass started it.  TA didn't stand over him long enough for Jose to get in his feels about it.  Then he poked his finger right in TA's grill.  It's game on at that point.  

I'm not a violent person and don't condone violence or fighting, in general.  Sports are different...teammates are closer to family.  Again, brotherhood.  If my real-life brother were involved in a brawl, I'm going to be right there beside him serving pain to whomever I can.  I'd do the same for a teammate.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I don't care that he got into a fight. Its stupid but whatever. But when you put your hands up and start to take swings sometimes they swing back. 

Kopech had Ramirez wrapped up.  Instead of handling business, he tried to gingerly separate he and TA, which led to TA getting knocked out.  Kopech had a responsibility there and failed.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Kopech had Ramirez wrapped up.  Instead of handling business, he tried to gingerly separate he and TA, which led to TA getting knocked out.  Kopech had a responsibility there and failed.  

So what exactly was handling business.  

23 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

This isn't a playground full of second graders out on recess.  This is professional sports.  It's an absurdly bad look not to retaliate in a situation where reactions are read as indicators of pride, culture, cohesiveness, and brotherhood.  

No manager is going to punish his guys for suspensions they may receive while sticking up for their teammates.  Outside of, apparently, Pedro Grifol, most managers would applaud such a reaction.  

And TA didn't start that s%*#, Ramirez's soft ass started it.  TA didn't stand over him long enough for Jose to get in his feels about it.  Then he poked his finger right in TA's grill.  It's game on at that point.  

I'm not a violent person and don't condone violence or fighting, in general.  Sports are different...teammates are closer to family.  Again, brotherhood.  If my real-life brother were involved in a brawl, I'm going to be right there beside him serving pain to whomever I can.  I'd do the same for a teammate.  

Weird, and I agree about the brotherhood part, but no one coming to his aid tells you everything you need to know how they feel about him.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Weird, and I agree about the brotherhood part, but no one coming to his aid tells you everything you need to know how they feel about him.

But they did come to his aid by helping his wobbly ass away from further embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Serving pain haha. First of all, it wasn’t a brawl. It was a one-on-one fight. And to call Ramirez soft after he put our guy on his ass is hilarious. He may be soft, but what does that make our guy? Neither one of them looked like they’d ever thrown a punch before, but the results are what they are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Sorry but TA did start it, by throwing his glove to the floor hockey style and putting up his fists like a comedy boxer. If that is how he reacts when someone points at him he has serious anger issues.

And as for saying that punching someone in retaliation would show club pride that is utter macho drivel. Anyway retaliate for what? TA squared up, threw the first punch, then got knocked on his ass, so Ramirez was just retaliating TA's childish tantrum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

40 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Too bad Robin wasn't around to help out.

Context is everything. Tim is having a s%*# season off and on the field. This just seems like more b.s. that not many fans have any patience for. This would be much different if it was all star Tim we were talking about. 

More than a few fans privately wish they were Ramirez and could punch a few of the other under performing, collecting a WS paycheck, personnel also. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

Too bad Robin wasn't around to help out.

I got to meet Nolan at his restaurant. He said about half way to the mound Robin had this confused look in his eyes as he realized he was charging someone his dad's age. Then we discussed bass fishing on the lake near the restaurant. Damn good beef. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I dont understand this. Great so if your brother in law got into a fight and the fight was 1 on 1 and he lost you would jump in with friends to finish it.  That seems about right.  Some of us played baseball above the little league level.  My college teammates are some of my best friends to this day. My brothers. Some of which played in the minors.  I had 3 stand up in my wedding.  One of which is my sons godfather. We must of missed the memo on if a one on one fight goes bad to attack in a group to finish it.  Or that it was like tag team wrestling and we were allowed to sub in.  During any bench clearing fights the entire point of being out there was to prevent exactly what you are talking about.  To prevent people from ganging up or to the point taking cheap shots.  The players separated the individuals involved and then it settled.   Now granted someone was more likely to get a ball in the ribs the day after.  But for the most part it cleared up.  At no point was it like some sort of 1950s scene where we had a multiplayer brawl on the field, attacking people in groups.   The struggle, the long practices, the many years playing together, and the competition that is what breeds the brotherhood.  Not because the infield could hold down the offending guy while the first baseman worked him over.  

Maybe they can fight like its anchorman.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I got to meet Nolan at his restaurant. He said about half way to the mound Robin had this confused look in his eyes as he realized he was charging someone his dad's age. Then we discussed bass fishing on the lake near the restaurant. Damn good beef. 

Just saying, if I was Robin, I'd have taken his legs out and got him on the ground first.  Still, good beef matters. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

Totally agree with Betts here.

And how did he "deserve to be knocked out"? Ramirez challenged him with a finger in his face after a routine tag. Tim got in three punches - two to the back of his head and one to Ramirez's torso, before Ramirez threw a wild punch while falling back which struck Tim.

He deserved to be knocked out because he threw down the gloves and didn’t know how to defend himself.

He got what he wanted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Serving pain haha. First of all, it wasn’t a brawl. It was a one-on-one fight. And to call Ramirez soft after he put our guy on his ass is hilarious. He may be soft, but what does that make our guy? Neither one of them looked like they’d ever thrown a punch before, but the results are what they are.

Right?  When righty Anderson got in a left handed boxing stance I knew it wasn’t going to end well.

And soft?  He got in Anderson’s face and knocked him out.  He may be a jerk but he’s not soft, at least compared with Anderson.