Wander Franco

soxfan49

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Major League Baseball is looking into social media posts involving Rays shortstop Wander Franco, Tampa Bay said Sunday.

Franco did not play in Sunday's 9-2 loss to Cleveland.

“During today’s game, we were made aware of the social media posts that are circulating regarding Wander Franco," the Rays said in a statement. "We take the situation seriously and are in close contact with Major League Baseball as it conducts its due diligence.”

Tampa Bay did not detail the nature of the social media posts.

Osleivis Basabe started at shortstop on Sunday in the 22-year-old's major league debut. Basabe, who went 1 for 3 with a double, learned he was being brought up during his game Saturday night with Triple-A Durham.

-

Sunday’s promotion at Tropicana Field was the Wander Franco Snapback Hat for fans 14 and under.

After the game, Rays manager Kevin Cash was asked whether there was any issue with Franco not playing other than a regular day off. Cash replied: “No.”

“I’m aware of the speculation, and I’m not going to comment any further on that,” Cash said. “The day off was because (it was) a day off.” 

I read a little of that thread. They seem to be clinging to the she told him she was 18 hope. If this is going on in the US, she can tell him she's 18, Look like she is 30, but if she is 14, he's in a lot of trouble.  Since he isn't traveling with the team , I think it's fair to say he's in a lot of trouble.  Yet another guy that had it all, but was too either greedy or stupid or both to keep it.

Literally...he is The Franchise.

That $182 million extension goes into Trevor Bauer territory instantaneously if the allegations are proven.  Surely MLB and the Rays would try to invalidate the contract but what an ugly mess for fans who should be enjoying another pennant race...with the MLBPU having another black eye on their hands.

"A clubhouse attendant packed Franco’s baseball gear into a team travel bag at his locker. The Rays headed to the airport immediately after the game to fly to San Francisco, where they will open a three-game series against the Giants on Monday.

Arguably the best shortstop in the American League this season, Franco had been on an offensive tear the past few weeks. He has hit safely in his past seven games, including the winning home run in a walkoff victory over the Guardians Friday night at Tropicana Field.

Franco was carrying a heavy workload. With backup shortstop Taylor Walls on the injured list, Franco had played in 40 straight games before sitting out Sunday."

tampabaytimes.com

Story corrected

Rays say MLB looking into social media posts involving Wander Franco

The All-Star reportedly didn't travel with team to San Francisco for its series with Giants that starts Monday

Ryan Young

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I read a little of that thread. They seem to be clinging to the she told him she was 18 hope. If this is going on in the US, she can tell him she's 18, Look like she is 30, but if she is 14, he's in a lot of trouble.  Since he isn't traveling with the team , I think it's fair to say he's in a lot of trouble.  Yet another guy that had it all, but was too either greedy or stupid or both to keep it.

This probably happens so often. I'd hope for that to be the case because if not, scumbag. 

54 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This probably happens so often. I'd hope for that to be the case because if not, scumbag. 

That's true. If he thought she was 18, he's a little less of a scumbag than if not, although still in a world of trouble. One where his contract might be voided and his MLB career over.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting on any decent evidence or reporting on this. It shouldn't be that complicated to 1. identify the girl (non-publicly of course) and 2. figure out how old she is. It seems like the existence of a (past) relationship between the two is not in doubt. I wonder whether info is circulating in Dominican media and not reaching mainstream English sources yet.

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm still waiting on any decent evidence or reporting on this. It shouldn't be that complicated to 1. identify the girl (non-publicly of course) and 2. figure out how old she is. It seems like the existence of a (past) relationship between the two is not in doubt. I wonder whether info is circulating in Dominican media and not reaching mainstream English sources yet.

There's a photo of him kissing her neck as they take a selfie. She looks like a 14 year old wearing make up. This looks really bad.

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's a photo of him kissing her neck as they take a selfie. She looks like a 14 year old wearing make up. This looks really bad.

I just saw the picture. X2 on it looking bad. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/baseball/who-loredana-chevalier-accusing-wander-franco-what-know-far-identity-alleged-victim

You're free to delete this...but it's already out there.  In fact, there's pushback against "entrapment" essentially targeting professional athletes.

Eury Perez of the Marlins was named specifically...must be some inside info from the DR.

Edited by caulfield12