Jeff Loria goes after Mark Buehrle, Jeter, others

caulfield12

He said pitcher Mark Buehrle — after he was traded to Toronto in 2013 one year after signing a four-year, $58 million deal with the Marlins — “sent me several texts that were full of vitriolic and filthy language, due to the fact that he couldn’t take his pit bull dogs to Toronto, which had banned the species. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig was aghast at what Mark had written but added that he was not surprised.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-marlins-owner-loria-dishes-141809440.html

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I don't even like pitbulls. That said, there's no way anyone actually cares about any of this.

Enough to be included in the 400 page book and one of only a couple items from the book to be mentioned in the article. That and the color of the tiles in the stadium. So you are probably correct. 

Loria also had some misinformation in the book (Miggy/Dontrelle was a trade. He said they "walked to free agency", promising consistent high payrolls after the ballpark renovation, etc). Not doubting some of what he said is true, but let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if there was two sides to this story. On Buehrle, Jeter and the rest.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

By trading him to a team in a country that banned pit bulls? 

Yes?

It wasn't exactly a secret that Mark's dogs were/are important to him - he didn't live in Miami-Dade county because of a ban on them - so to be traded one year into a deal is a dick move. Especially because that's a big chunk of the dog's life.

In the end, that meant Buehrle's family had to live away from him since they, you know, wanted to keep their family dogs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yes?

It wasn't exactly a secret that Mark's dogs were/are important to him - he didn't live in Miami-Dade county because of a ban on them - so to be traded one year into a deal is a dick move. Especially because that's a big chunk of the dog's life.

In the end, that meant Buehrle's family had to live away from him since they, you know, wanted to keep their family dogs.

I'm not certain we would understand if Hahn said he took less than he could have gotten in a trade because of a player's dogs. 

I remember wondering since they had the ban why he would have signed with them. He also should have fired his agent for not negotiating a no trade to areas with a pit bull ban. 

I do wish he was getting more votes for the hall. He's easily someone who I'd like to see there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm not certain we would understand if Hahn said he took less than he could have gotten in a trade because of a player's dogs. 

I remember wondering since they had the ban why he would have signed with them. He also should have fired his agent for not negotiating a no trade to areas with a pit bull ban. 

I do wish he was getting more votes for the hall. He's easily someone who I'd like to see there. 

Is Canada's pit bull ban a thing that's widely known? I never knew it until reading this thread. If Buehrle did know about it and didn't negotiate a no-trade in his contract, then that's on him. If not, then that's unfortunate luck. I don't expect the Marlins to take a lesser deal just to accommodate dogs.

15 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So why didn't Mark stay in Chicago where he could keep his dogs?  Money, perhaps?  He made a choice.

Because he told JR what money Miami offered him and was told to take the deal because they weren’t going to match it

https://www.espn.co.uk/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8200951/speaking-panel-wednesday-white-sox-owner-jerry-reinsdorf-sounded-open-idea-contraction-baseball

IMG_1927.jpeg

• Like 2

$4/56M was "more than you're worth" to JR. $14M/year. 11 bWAR in 4 years with MIA and TOR, 2.75 bWAR average per year. Roughly $8M per WAR at that time, so Buehrle was worth about $22M/year. JR is a moron.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1