Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

21 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I don’t know how to argue with someone being this disingenuous. The act of bringing the gun into the stadium is the criminal act, not what could or did happen after doing so.

Yup, he’s just trolling as usual.  And I love the “driving drunk and hurting someone but not killing them” example ignored the underlying element that driving drunk alone is illegal.  There is this thing of escalating levels of criminalityand all can / should be pursued accordingly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I don’t know how to argue with someone being this disingenuous. The act of bringing the gun into the stadium is the criminal act, not what could or did happen after doing so.

Yep. And of all the crimes committed in Chicago how many people are you going to put on this case? One? Five? Ten? 

There are so many unsolved murders, assaults, and other violent crimes with victims demanding justice and where the penalty would be actual prison time. 

That's the reality of crime in America. I really wish someone getting accidentally shot was so unusual that ten cops would immediately be on the case. But we underfund the police and justice system. 

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, he’s just trolling as usual.  And I love the “driving drunk and hurting someone but not killing them” example ignored the underlying element that driving drunk alone is illegal.  There is this thing of escalating levels of criminalityand all can / should be pursued accordingly.

That's exactly what I was saying. I understand bringing a gun into a restricted area is a crime. I also understand that accidentally injuring someone is a crime. It escalates from a misdemeanor based on what actually happened to the victim, not what might have happened. 

Now look at convictions and the likely punishment. Our justice system doesn't put people in prison for this. Especially with an uncooperative victim. How is it trolling pointing out a fact? 

I'm all for increasing the penalties. I vote for candidates that promise to do that. Gun laws in this country are b.s. and need to be tightened. 

I believe nothing has happened because of b.s. gun laws which treat accidental discharge as a misdemeanor, lax penalties for carrying in restricted areas, and underfunded and overworked police with bigger crimes to solve. 

You think it's a conspiracy and the above is trolling. 

21 hours ago, Texsox said:

Yep. And of all the crimes committed in Chicago how many people are you going to put on this case? One? Five? Ten? 

There are so many unsolved murders, assaults, and other violent crimes with victims demanding justice and where the penalty would be actual prison time. 

That's the reality of crime in America. I really wish someone getting accidentally shot was so unusual that ten cops would immediately be on the case. But we underfund the police and justice system. 

A team of detectives gets sent to every single person shot incident with one detective assigned as the lead.

The problems start with treating what you’d consider lower-level crimes as no big deal. It takes years, but that leads to worse crime.

Think of criminals as children. You let them get away with more and more petty s%*#, they build off of that and push the envelope and eventually your kid is an adult jagoff.

You don’t think someone with very bad intentions hasn’t noticed that this woman got a loaded gun into the park? If she can be punished to the fullest extent of the law, she should be. And the park security has to make noticeable changes.

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

A team of detectives gets sent to every single person shot incident with one detective assigned as the lead.

The problems start with treating what you’d consider lower-level crimes as no big deal. It takes years, but that leads to worse crime.

Think of criminals as children. You let them get away with more and more petty s%*#, they build off of that and push the envelope and eventually your kid is an adult jagoff.

You don’t think someone with very bad intentions hasn’t noticed that this woman got a loaded gun into the park? If she can be punished to the fullest extent of the law, she should be. And the park security has to make noticeable changes.

I agree. That's what should happen. It's not what I consider lower level, it's what the justice departments consider it. As I said let's vote for politicians that will change that.  But that doesn't happen in 'merica. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I agree. That's what should happen. It's not what I consider lower level, it's what the justice departments consider it. As I said let's vote for politicians that will change that.  But that doesn't happen in 'merica. 

One big problem  is it’s really hard to get witnesses to talk. If they do, they are next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

One big problem  is it’s really hard to get witnesses to talk. If they do, they are next.

In this case the fans around them did talk.  No one around the victim saw or heard a gunshot. I believe them. 

Folks get caught with guns in restricted areas every day. Bars, banks, schools, stadiums.  If they are otherwise law abiding citizens they receive a warning. We don't lock up folks on their first offense. We don't lock up folks for what might happen. 

I agree with everything you believe should happen. I disagree that there is some conspiracy at work. The Sox didn't need to silence this. They just needed this to be handled like gun business as usual in America. 

And the deck was stacked against this ever being solved.

Witnesses that didn't see or hear anything.

A victim that isn't screaming for justice. (Also leads me to believe it was an accidental shot from a friend)

Lax punishments if someone was caught. Unless a terrorist. 

Overworked cops with even more serious crimes.

Poor crime scene actions. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2024 at 10:56 AM, Texsox said:

Our justice systems is a problem, but it's not the primary issue here. Generations of poverty, lack of resources, jobs and education, red lining, gentrification all lead to the cycles of brokenness and imprisonment we see in pockets of our country, with neighborhoods on the south and west sides of Chicago being a few of them. You fix those things, you fix the crime problems. And it takes more than politicians to do that, although they do play a role.

I apologize if that was too political of a statement.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1

44 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

She’s lying.

"I have a FOID card but I've never owned a firearm" ok sure.

Now that we've gotten a look at this woman, at least a shadowy version of her upper half, I'm even less compelled by her version of events. That's a big shadow. She clearly had the means to sneak the gun in. This story is incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

There will never be a report. It's America. We shoot each other to preserve our freedoms. If you don't want to be shot, move. 

Circa 2015 that would be in green. 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:03 AM, nrockway said:

"I have a FOID card but I've never owned a firearm" ok sure.

Now that we've gotten a look at this woman, at least a shadowy version of her upper half, I'm even less compelled by her version of events. That's a big shadow. She clearly had the means to sneak the gun in. This story is incredible.

If we're still here in misery in about 8 years, bring this up again. What a bunch of complete bullshit...

• Like 1