Bard selects new Sox location

Texsox

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just making sure you know I was born and raised in Chicago, in the Back of the Yards area, went to Brother Rice high school. I'm Chicago through and through, still doesn't bother me if they move to a suburb and continue to call themselves "Chicago" White Sox.  

And its Chubbuck, Idaho a suburb of Pocatello. I'm 2 1/2 hours north of Salt Lake City and 3 1/2 hours Southeast of Boise. 

If I lived in Idaho, Id be fly fishing for trout 7 days a week and elk hunting every chance I got. 

6 minutes ago, nrockway said:

The suburb discussion drawing in “more old school fans” is a dead end. The team needs young fans. Stay in Chicago, think about a fan base 20 years from now.
 Kids like baseball more then you think. Those tinley fans will be dead. 

I'm on team Stay in Chicago, but...there are also kids in Tinley...? Maybe I'm missing your point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I'm on team Stay in Chicago, but...there are also kids in Tinley...? Maybe I'm missing your point.

Not many and they’ll move the second they’re old enough. There’s a lot of bias in this thread suggesting Arlington heights or orland park is accessible to the majority of potential fans. It’s very clearly not true. I’m not sure that I’m willing to prove it, but it’s almost certainly true that soldier field is more accessible than the horse racetrack. The difference between football and baseball though is that people will make the trek there to watch a game once a week and spend  hundreds of dollars on the affair. There are 10 times as many baseball games and they’re considerably cheaper to attend. Anywhere in Chicago is 10000 times more accessible to people than any of the suburbs. 

the financial component of it is that there’s more money in cities than suburbs now. at least for an economy based on pointless consumption (baseball is purposeful). The inversion started happening a while ago. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

How about Neptune?

Under the situation where the pitcher is facing 2000 km/hr winds and temperatures of -364 Fahrenheit,, you probably want to take some pitches as it's going to be tough to throw balls in the strike zone. This is a bad idea for a team that is as aggressive and free swinging as the White Sox. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

Not many and they’ll move the second they’re old enough. There’s a lot of bias in this thread suggesting Arlington heights or orland park is accessible to the majority of potential fans. It’s very clearly not true. I’m not sure that I’m willing to prove it, but it’s almost certainly true that soldier field is more accessible than the horse racetrack. The difference between football and baseball though is that people will make the trek there to watch a game once a week and spend  hundreds of dollars on the affair. There are 10 times as many baseball games and they’re considerably cheaper to attend. Anywhere in Chicago is 10000 times more accessible to people than any of the suburbs. 

the financial component of it is that there’s more money in cities than suburbs now. at least for an economy based on pointless consumption (baseball is purposeful). The inversion started happening a while ago. 

It’s not a coincidence that teams which built and own their own stadium are the most successful franchises across the MLB. The Blue Jays are dinged for Canada’s weaker currency.

(rank on 2023 MLB Forbes Value List)

The Four Current MLB Stadiums built and owned without public funds:

1. 1912 Fenway Park (#3)
  2. 1914 Wrigley Field (#4)
  3. 1962 Dodger Stadium (#2)
  4. 1989 Rogers Center (#14)

Stadiums Not Located within the cities in their current team name:

• Atlanta Team (Cumberland)
  • Los Angeles Angels (Anaheim)
  • Tampa Bay Rays (St. Petersburg)

Future possible stadiums:

• Las Vegas Athletics (Paradise)
  • Tampa Bay Rays (St. Petersburg)

Las Vegas gets somewhat of a pass because few if anyone including many who live there know that The Strip was built in unincorporated Clark County. Paradise and Winchester are unincorporated towns managed by Clark County, and they have Las Vegas addresses (same as Summerlin), which is not the case for the other two teams.

The N. L. Team should be renamed Cobb County Peaches, the Georgia Hammers, and the Angels should embrace their OC heritage and be called the Anaheim, Orange County or return to California Angels.

Atlanta’s minor league teams have (AAA Gwinnett) or are in the process (A Rome) of eliminating the offensive racist name.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

20 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

If they built out there and had a decent product they'd get 30k every night. A good portion of their fan base from the south side 30 years ago is out there. That being said I think they're fine where they are....sans the occasional falling bullet.

I'm guessing you don't live in Chicago. If they move to Orland/Tinley, they'll draw less than the A's. They'll be cutting off all their non-Southwest suburban fans, since you can only get down there basically by expressway (I-57/I-80). Imagine trying to make it down there for a weekday night game -- it would be a major chore. They'd be better off moving out of town completely than moving down to the Southwest suburbs.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Under the situation where the pitcher is facing 2000 km/hr winds and temperatures of -364 Fahrenheit,, you probably want to take some pitches as it's going to be tough to throw balls in the strike zone. This is a bad idea for a team that is as aggressive and free swinging as the White Sox. 

Not to mention the travel time, almost have to be 4 game series min.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I went to Brother Rice and you must have had the wrong teachers then.

I went to a small rural school where we all (K-12) were in same group of buildings but had relatives that went to Catholic School. Whats the saying, for every 4 Catholics you'l find a fifth? :) (insert Jack, Smirnoff etc) 

On 9/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Ask Writter: https://ask.writer.com

This doesn't look like a good trade:

Question: The White Sox have traded Dylan Cease to the Mariners. What possible package will the White Sox receive in return? Please give names.

Answer: The White Sox could receive a package from the Mariners that includes outfielder Kyle Lewis, infielder Shed Long, and pitcher Taylor Guilbeau.

5 hours ago, WestEddy said:

This doesn't look like a good trade:

Question: The White Sox have traded Dylan Cease to the Mariners. What possible package will the White Sox receive in return? Please give names.

Answer: The White Sox could receive a package from the Mariners that includes outfielder Kyle Lewis, infielder Shed Long, and pitcher Taylor Guilbeau.

Kyle Lewis isn't even on the Mariners anymore.

Yikes.

The Orioles just extended their lease at their stadium in Baltimore for another 30 years. I'm hoping JR extends the lease at the White Sox stadium. I don't see any other viable  alternative here in Chicago.  I was told that JR has business interests in Nashville. I'm assuming  the business is real estate. If he gets a good offer for a new stadium in Nashville I wouldn't be surprised if he took it.

• Hawk 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The Orioles just extended their lease at their stadium in Baltimore for another 30 years. I'm hoping JR extends the lease at the White Sox stadium. I don't see any other viable  alternative here in Chicago.  I was told that JR has business interests in Nashville. I'm assuming  the business is real estate. If he gets a good offer for a new stadium in Nashville I wouldn't be surprised if he took it.

I would bet that Jerry Reinsdorf would be ecstatic to add a few years onto the current White Sox park agreement as long as the deal remained the same. It's so ludicrously pro-Reinsdorf that he'd probably jump at that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I don't see the other MLB owners approving that relocation. Now that the Tampa Bay and Oakland situations appear to be in place, I see MLB looking to move on expansion within the next year or two, with Nashville the prime number 1 contender.

Manfred doesn't want Montreal because their taxpayers don't pay for billionaire's capital expense bullshit in Canada. The remaining American candidates are as bad as Vegas' MLB viability (Charlotte, Portland, Salt Lake City Good Lord).

On 9/24/2023 at 11:06 PM, Sarava said:

Financially - I think it would make sense for the Sox to concede Chicago to the Cubs and move to the burbs. They may find there's more dollars to earn in the burbs than there ever was in the south side.

I agree Naperville makes more sense to the Sox given their fan's geographical locations approximately. But they would likely be on their own there. Arlington would in conjunction with the Bears. If they built two stadiums at Arlington, it would come with hotels, restaurants, bars, entertainment, mega sponsors...and the teams could get those perspective businesses and sponsors to foot a lot of the bills there.

The Sox biggest fan concentration is in the city. Arlington is cubs country. Stop with the bs

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vacheron said:

The Sox biggest fan concentration is in the city. Arlington is cubs country. Stop with the bs

Arlington Heights isn't any team's country. There is no team out here. People just pick what team they pick, and yes, like most of Chicagoland, and the country for that matter, there's more Cubs fans than Sox fans. The idea is fans would embrace actually having a local team and would support them well. If you disagree, then ok.