Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

Just now, Quin said:

I fully expect TA to be an All-Star now with another team this year because that's how our fortunes work.

Even if TA became an all star this year, what’s that worth to the White Sox? They weren’t going to get much in a trade for 2 months of him playing at his best, and they’re not going to win 85 games with all the other weaknesses on this roster.

3 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Was being paid on potential and not worth the money to hand out $14M and cross their fingers hoping he remembers how to hit a baseball.  My guess is Andrus until the new kid is ready.  Can't blame the team and good luck to Tim on a reset for his on and off-field life.

The man was a two time All-Star and former batting champion on a cheap deal. 

How is that paid on potential???

Edit: I'm talking about his previous seasons, not his upcoming season.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if TA became an all star this year, what’s that worth to the White Sox? They weren’t going to get much in a trade for 2 months of him playing at his best, and they’re not going to win 85 games with all the other weaknesses on this roster.

Oh yeah, TA's only role this year would have been place holder and I don't think we'd have gotten All-Star TA.

But I won't be shocked if he randomly becomes good again now that he's left the Sox.

• Like 1

Just now, Quin said:

Oh yeah, TA's only role this year would have been place holder and I don't think we'd have gotten All-Star TA.

But I won't be shocked if he randomly becomes good again.

While it’s possible, the gamble on that happening wasn’t worth $14 million to the White Sox. The long term positives are low, maybe he becomes tradeable but doesn’t return much. The negative is “lost $14 million again on a guy who was bad.” The scale tips strongly to the downside risk there. This was the right move so compliments to whoever made it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

While it’s possible, the gamble on that happening wasn’t worth $14 million to the White Sox. The long term positives are low, maybe he becomes tradeable but doesn’t return much. The negative is “lost $14 million again on a guy who was bad.” The scale tips strongly to the downside risk there. This was the right move so compliments to whoever made it.

At first I thought take the chance, but after thinking about it, it’s exactly the type of thing the previous guys used to do and would get burned. Maybe he does come back and be the guy he was 3 years ago. So what would you get for him? Not enough to gamble $13 million on IMO. 

Clearly Getz knew no one would trade for him now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

TA wasn’t just bad at the plate. It’s a shame . Hopefully he can get his off the field issues straightened out. It’s now cost him millions.

It's probably best both he and the Sox parted ways to be honest with this divorce.... and I hope for his sake this isn't the only divorce he sees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What a fall from grace. McG and our Chuck are going to be mad, but it’s seemed pretty apparent TA has been one of the problems the last couple of seasons. I hope he gets his head on straight and gets good again, but he is an awful Major League Baseball player now.

Actually both of them have been saying Anderson has been part of the problem and in my opinion they are right.

Guy has a world of talent and a 10 cent head.

His distractions and off the field antics can be someone else's problem.

The Sox are going to be brutal next year so at least try to get some guys who care.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why didn't we just trade him? I fully believe Getz is going to have Montgomery starting next year

They tried remember but a lot of teams have the same questions and probably will wait until this off season now to see if they want to take a chance.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Oof. Getting rid of the only marketable player on the team. The franchise gets dumber every day but it's of little surprise at this point.

Depends on your definition of "marketable."

Guys flips off fans, appears to lose concentration of the field, has embarrassing off the field headlines and can't stay healthy.

If that's your definition of "marketability" I admire you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When he was worth -0.5 fWAR and being paid $4 million for the last 2 months? 

Again, who would want him?

I highly doubt there wouldn't have been one team to take a flier on him for the rest of the year. Hahn/KW just didn't want to take a deal, they probably planned to accept his option so didn't want to take just anything for him

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Eh, I’m calling BS. That’s covering ones tail afterwards. “This deal is unpopular, it must have been Kenny’s fault!”

Considering Kim Ng herself said KW was the one who orchestrated the deal, I don't know how you can say it wasn't... unless you think she was lying.

• Like 3

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic