Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

49 minutes ago, fathom said:

The article’s excerpt clarifies this (see below).  To me, this means that either Getz is asking the moon for Cease (and rightfully so) and/or Cashman and other GMs are trying to lowball Getz.  Also, the excerpt infers that Snell and Montgomery are asking for huge money.  But I don’t see any way that this means that Getz is not trading Cease this offseason.

However, as with the free agents, there’s currently a serious gap in negotiations to the point where some Yankees people seem unsure whether Cease — who isn’t a free agent until after 2025 — will be dealt this winter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You have no idea what he’s asking the Yankees for. It should be high. Anything short of Dominguez/Jones + Hampton + a solid third piece would be doing the White Sox a disservice in this potential trade.

Similar to his ask from the Reds? 3 of Dominquez, Hampton, Jones, Perreira….. and Warren and another?

19 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m good without Spencer Jones in a Yankees trade honestly. Is he that much better of a prospect than Pereria?

Pereria, Arias, Warren, and Selvidge would be a very nice haul 

Pass on Pereria.  If we’re taking a chance on a prospect with massive contact issues, I’m much rather role the dice on Jones given his background and insane potential.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Heyman gets spoon fed crap from agents left and right…Boras probably has direct access to Jon’s Twitter account and is using the Yankees to drive up the price for Snell & Montgomery

Bingo.  This is the other factor.  Heyman is a loyal servant to his lord and master Boras.  All three players mentioned (Cease, Snell, and Montgomery) are Boras clients.  Boras is working for Snell and Montgomery to get their money, but he has no motivation to worry about Cease right now because he won’t be a free agent for two more years.  Snell and Montgomery are Boras’s priorities right now.  Cease is getting paid the same through arbitration the next two years regardless of what team he is on, because he is obviously going to free agency.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Yanks were supposedly hot to trot yesterday and now suddenly aren’t. Totally feels like negotiating through the press to me. 

Outside of Rosenthal & Passan, most leaks are coming from agents and GMs purposely trying to create misdirection in the media.  Nightengale basically admitted that all these guys literally will report anything an agent will tell them with little to no secondary confirmations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We have zero idea how “all in” the Yankees are or have been.

I really wouldn’t doubt they are heavy on Snell and Cease.  I mean, they need another top starter, so it’s pretty obvious that it makes sense.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

We can debate it … IMO, no one will give anything close to what Getz asked from the Reds. We can debate it after he’s dealt. 

Again, that was early on in the negotiations. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay that kind of premium either. That was the starting point, not the end. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I really wouldn’t doubt they are heavy on Snell and Cease.  I mean, they need another top starter, so it’s pretty obvious that it makes sense.

So …The Yankees are projected about $40 million over the luxury tax with estimated arb numbers. They can’t go for both unless they completely blow up their cap number. So I’m not sure Snell is even on the table for them. Cease makes sense with his contract but they have to be willing to take a significant hit to the top of their farm.

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s obvious it makes sense that they are in on starting pitching…but it’s not obvious that they are in on any single player and if it’s a trade, it’s not obvious how all in they are.  

I mean, if it’s actually true that the Yankees think Cease isn’t being dealt, it tells you that they think the WS aren’t getting the deal they want…which goes back to what I and other have been saying that the high end prospect (and other stuff) is just not on the table for Cease.  

I don’t particular think Cease will be a White Sox on OD but I do think Getz has to change his demands for a trade to happen. Teams aren’t going to come up to his request.

• Hawk 1

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wouldn’t you agree they should be all in given the Soto trade?

I think the Yankees are a poorly built team that has done an awful job building properly.  I also think they will end up keeping Soto, so it’s not a one year deal.

For the deal I think the WS end up getting, I think the Yankees should be in on Cease. For the deal you guys are hoping for, I don’t think the should do it.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s obvious it makes sense that they are in on starting pitching…but it’s not obvious that they are in on any single player and if it’s a trade, it’s not obvious how all in they are.  

I mean, if it’s actually true that the Yankees think Cease isn’t being dealt, it tells you that they think the WS aren’t getting the deal they want…which goes back to what I and other have been saying that the high end prospect (and other stuff) is just not on the table for Cease.  

I don’t particular think Cease will be a White Sox on OD but I do think Getz has to change his demands for a trade to happen. Teams aren’t going to come up to his request.

So in conclusion, we have no idea what the Yankees are doing. But we know the White Sox should lower their demands so they can trade Cease by OD? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not true.  It’s Heyman the toad spouting whatever Boras tells him to.  Without Boras, Heyman is nothing, and he wouldn’t be able to post meaningless tweets all day long.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, SkokieSox said:

So in conclusion, we have no idea what the Yankees are doing. But we know the White Sox should lower their demands so they can trade Cease by OD? 

I think both are pretty obvious.

I mean, what info do we have on how hard the Yankees are pushing for him?  Your best insider in here said they are getting more aggressive but we have zero idea what that actually means. That could mean lots of things.

In terms of the demands from the WS, as I have said a bunch of times, if teams were meeting their demands, a deal would be done.

I would wager that basically every single trade, especially for a major piece, has gone this same way…trading team asks for more than the market will pay, buyers offering lower than seller will take..eventually the seller and one buyer move on their requests and a deal is struck.  It’s just how negotiation works.

4 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Diminishing supply and increasing demand.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, what info do we have on how hard the Yankees are pushing for him?  Your best insider in here said they are getting more aggressive but we have zero idea what that actually means. That could mean lots of things.

In terms of the demands from the WS, as I have said a bunch of times, if teams were meeting their demands, a deal would be done.

I would wager that basically every single trade, especially for a major piece, has gone this same way…trading team asks for more than the market will pay, buyers offering lower than seller will take..eventually the seller and one buyer move on their requests and a deal is struck.  It’s just how negotiation works.

I am not a fan of Getz yet, as his offseason of dumpster diving has been an embarrassment.  But I sure am glad he is sticking to his guns with this Cease trade.  Eventually, some team will blink.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

What I think is obvious is there are a lot of assumptions being built around a preferred narrative. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I am not a fan of Getz yet, as his offseason of dumpster diving has been an embarrassment.  But I sure am glad he is sticking to his guns with this Cease trade.  Eventually, some team will blink.

His handling it exactly like he should be…and the other GMs are also handling it exactly as they should be.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic