Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m guessing that Getz is insisting on Cowser/Kjerstad and Westburg. Which explains why a deal isn’t done. 

I said today my assumption is one of the OFers, Westburg and something like Beavers and McDermott/Povich. 

That is in line with the reported ask from Getz.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m guessing that Getz is insisting on Cowser/Kjerstad and Westburg. Which explains why a deal isn’t done. 

I said today my assumption is one of the OFers, Westburg and something like Beavers and McDermott/Povich. 

That is in line with the reported ask from Getz.

10 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Good for him. Shouldn’t settle for less than that at this point. Pressure is on Baltimore, not the Sox.

Disagree. They can sign some cheap pitching and mash their way to the playoffs. The Sox are going nowhere with Sox and really need the return 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Disagree. They can sign some cheap pitching and mash their way to the playoffs. The Sox are going nowhere with Sox and really need the return 

They can sign cheap pitching and get eliminated in the ALDS again. That would be a failure for them at this point. They need power arms who they can be comfortable putting out there in a playoff series.

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They can sign cheap pitching and get eliminated in the ALDS again. That would be a failure for them at this point. They need power arms who they can be comfortable putting out there in a playoff series.

Or they can get in and win it all because the playoffs are a total crapshoot 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That trade just improves the White Sox on the margins.

No true difference makers there.

Exactly. Oh great, we went from a 101 loss team to a 95 loss team in 2024 and 2025. Is Westburg really that big of an upgrade over Nicky López? Probably not honestly.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly. Oh great, we went from a 101 loss team to a 95 loss team in 2024 and 2025. Is Westburg really that big of an upgrade over Nicky López? Probably not honestly.

He would be yes 

12 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Yeah they are not winning anything with that pitching staff as it is currently constructed.

Yeah I have them outside the playoffs right now. 

They had a lot of career year guys last year. (Bradish, cano, ohearn, Mateo).  They’re relying a lot on no regression and that all the youngsters hit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They had a lot of career year guys last year. (Bradish, cano, ohearn, Mateo).  They’re relying a lot on no regression and that all the youngsters hit

Not to mention the loss of Bautista. Someone else mentioned that the Orioles remind them of the 2020-2021 Sox and I agree completely. Relying way too much on who they already have and are too reluctant to make significant external additions.

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

FWIW, the Yankees haven’t been done yet, but as far as I can tell ZiPS has them at 92 wins and best in the AL so far on their projections.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not to mention the loss of Bautista. Someone else mentioned that the Orioles remind them of the 2020-2021 Sox and I agree completely. Relying way too much on who they already have and are too reluctant to make significant external additions.

This doesn’t remind me at all of those white Sox. Adding Grandal, Keuchel, Lynn, Kimbrel, among others. They had a very different problem, they blew all of the assets they had -limited trade assets and only so mu ch money to spend - on high risk guys late in their careers who consistently imploded. The Os are at least being cautious about their assets, they aren’t being aggressive but they aren’t risking what they have on all in / doomed if it doesn’t work this year bets.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This doesn’t remind me at all of those white Sox. Adding Grandal, Keuchel, Lynn, Kimbrel, among others. They had a very different problem, they blew all of the assets they had -limited trade assets and only so mu ch money to spend - on high risk guys late in their careers who consistently imploded. The Os are at least being cautious about their assets, they aren’t being aggressive but they aren’t risking what they have on all in / doomed if it doesn’t work this year bets.

Ironically, Kimbrel the only all-in move, and that's limited risk.

The further irony is that most O's are trying to clear out the outfield veterans along with 1B/DH/util...but they're not taking into consideration all the growing pains associated with younger hitters.   At least they have the concept of "getting younger/cheaper" and 2nd/3rd waves down right.  The White Sox rebuild ran into a brick wall with the Burger Crochet Vaughn setbacks.

Also, assuming with this next wave that they are all ready to contribute like Rutschman and Henderson is a fool's errand...that the bullpen will repeat over-performances from year to year, that the breaks will continue to go their way in such a talented division.

Everyone thought the Blue Jays were going to be dominating this division 2-3 years ago...and they've been "pretty good" but hardly the dynasty that was projected with Vladdy not quite the superstar, nor Bichette/Biggio to lesser degrees (to the point they might be shopping Bichette fairly actively).  Then you have the White Sox style "fading veteran" in George Springer with the TOR version of a Benintendi deal.  And this befuddling set of off-season moves.

The White Sox and Padres have both learned about all the things that can go wrong will go wrong.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is this a serious post?  I agree with your first sentence but Lopez is a pathetic and embarrassing starting infielder for any major league team, just like DeJong.  Both were backup infielders last year and DeJong was cut by two teams.  No other team in baseball would be planning to start one of these bums on opening day, much less both of them.  To compare Westburg to Lopez is pretty far out there.  Westburg will improve.  Lopez is what he is, a slappy no bat infielder with a good glove, and as he gets older his glove will disappear.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is this a serious post?  I agree with your first sentence but Lopez is a pathetic and embarrassing starting infielder for any major league team, just like DeJong, so of course they are both starting for the Sox.  No other team in baseball would be starting these two bums.

Maybe the 2014-15 Royals...where did all these ideas come from, anyway???

Omar Infante had the most at-bats at 2B, with Alcides Escobar at SS.  You had Zobrist as a "mix and match" all over the diamond glue guy.  Noted top pick/bust Christian Colon as well.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe the 2014-15 Royals...where did all these ideas come from, anyway???

Omar Infante had the most at-bats at 2B, with Alcides Escobar at SS.  You had Zobrist as a "mix and match" all over the diamond glue guy.  Noted top pick/bust Christian Colon as well.

I was thinking 2016 Sox double play combination of Jimmy Rollins in his last season before retirement and the “never was” Brett Lawrie.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I hope the O's are at least buying Heyman a steak dinner boom for all the work he's doing for them.  

i kinda felt the opposite, like the Sox are the ones messaging through all these writers saying no-trade-likely. thats the last threat left-- that we'd take cease into the season.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic