Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

40 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moving a corner infielder to RF…  where have we seen that one before?  Oh yeah, twice with Vaughn and Sheets.  No thanks, Rick.

Massive difference between moving a guy capable of playing 3B with average speed and a double plus arm to the OF vs. Andrew Vaughn.  Don’t let the follies of Rick Hahn make you think just because a guy is big he can’t be an average fielder.  Athleticism matters and Vaughn has none while Mayo actually does have some.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

As between trade A or B what is your preference and why:

A. Cease for Mayo straight up.

B. Cease for Kjerstad, Norby/Ortiz and Povich/McDermott.

I’d take B if the alternative is only Mayo but throw in say Beavers (or a similar prospect) and I’m taking A in a heartbeat.  I just think Mayo is a vastly superior prospect to Kjerstad and would be willing to take less in terms of other pieces to get him.  Now, if the O’s were offering Kjerstad & Westburg, I’d be all over that (even without anything else) vs. the previously mentioned deal.  I just don’t love that next tier of guys in their system outside of Beavers & Horvath.

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Massive difference between moving a guy capable of playing 3B with average speed and a double plus arm to the OF vs. Andrew Vaughn.  Don’t let the follies of Rick Hahn make you think just because a guy is big he can’t be an average fielder.  Athleticism matters and Vaughn has none while Mayo actually does have some.

I’m not buying that a 6’5” 230 pound 22 year old is going to stick in RF, if he fills out anymore as he gets older.  Maybe you could hide him in LF.  Regardless, I wouldn’t turn him down as the return but I’d be doing everything I could to keep him at 3B before considering 1B.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the likelihood he ends up at 1B is overblown.  And while I’d prefer a savage all else being equal, Mayo has a truly elite ceiling offensively and the handedness is much less of an issue.  He is way better prospect than Hjerstad or Westburg IMO.

I'm admittedly less informed about his scouting report than others. If he can play a passable OF he instantly becomes more interesting. Honestly I'm  hoping Mayo is only the ask so Getz can pivot to high end prospects Baltimore will actually part with.

Edited by Tnetennba

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not buying that a 6’5” 230 pound 22 year old is going to stick in RF, if he fills out anymore as he gets older.  Maybe you could hide him in LF.  Regardless, I wouldn’t turn him down as the return but I’d be doing everything I could to keep in at 3B before considering 1B.

That’s totally fair.  But I personally think Mayo has less 1B risk than Kjerstad does if that’s who you prefer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s totally fair.  But I personally think Mayo has less 1B risk than Kjerstad does if that’s who you prefer.

Kjerstad has the obvious LH hitting advantage...but you have to take the better hitting prospect (overall) regardless and the arm strength at least makes him playable in LF, if not RF.   Think Viciedo in 2012, obviously Mayo's a lot bigger/taller but Dayan had numerous assists that rookie year to take some of the pain away from his fielding skills or lack thereof.

Player A:

• 22 years old
  • 6’ 5”, 220 Lbs
  • 50 Hit, 70 Power
  • 45 Run, 70 Arm
  • 50 Field (3B)
  • 78 games (AA)
  • 14.7% BB rate
  • 24.8% K rate
  • .296 ISO
  • 30 2B
  • 17 HR
  • TBD fWAR (first 5 seasons)

Player B:

• 22 years old
  • 6’ 5”, 220 Lbs
  • 50 Hit, 70 Power
  • 45 Run, 60 Arm
  • 50 Field (3B)
  • 68 games (AA)
  • 14.5% BB rate
  • 25.9% K rate
  • .347 ISO
  • 20 2B
  • 22 HR
  • 28.4 fWAR (first 5 seasons)
Edited by Chicago White Sox

Baltimore won 100 games last season, but if you look at their individual stats, it doesn't look like a 100 win team.  They could easily fall back to 85-90.  And they were flattened in the playoffs.  They have a lot of young players, but still need to sort through them.  And Cease did have a less than stellar 2023.
We're just more likely to get young talent from mature organizations like the Braves or Dodgers or the like.  But they've probably made their moves.

So, to state the obvious, it looks like June or July.  Not ideal, but worth the risk (versus "settling") considering the lack of talent in this org.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Player A:

• 22 years old
  • 6’ 5”, 220 Lbs
  • 50 Hit, 70 Power
  • 45 Run, 70 Arm
  • 50 Field (3B)
  • 78 games (AA)
  • 14.7% BB rate
  • 24.8% K rate
  • .296 ISO
  • 30 2B
  • 17 HR
  • TBD fWAR (first 5 seasons)

Player B:

• 22 years old
  • 6’ 5”, 220 Lbs
  • 50 Hit, 70 Power
  • 45 Run, 60 Arm
  • 50 Field (3B)
  • 68 games (AA)
  • 14.5% BB rate
  • 25.9% K rate
  • .347 ISO
  • 20 2B
  • 22 HR

Yeah because this is a fair comparison. 

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Player B:

• 22 years old
  • 6’ 5”, 220 Lbs
  • 50 Hit, 70 Power
  • 45 Run, 60 Arm
  • 50 Field (3B)
  • 68 games (AA)
  • 14.5% BB rate
  • 25.9% K rate
  • .347 ISO
  • 20 2B
  • 22 HR

Who is Corey Seagar?

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Who is Corey Seagar?

Thats Soto. Hes comparing the scouting numbers to a unicorn hall of Famer who was an MVP candidate at 19. You just don’t do that. If the guy comes up and immediately hits like a hall of Famer he will be fine in the OF, I agree. Also the Orioles should clearly hold onto a guy being compared to a sure fire hall of famer.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Thats Soto. Hes comparing the scouting numbers to a unicorn hall of Famer who was an MVP candidate at 19. You just don’t do that. If the guy comes up and immediately hits like a hall of Famer he will be fine in the OF, I agree. Also the Orioles should clearly hold onto a guy being compared to a sure fire hall of famer.

Juan Soto was a 6’ 5” 3B when he was in AA?

Soto was a 3b in AA at age 22?

it’s Bryant I’m pretty sure. 

• Like 1

Better off comparing him to Basallo...and the likelihood of sticking at their intended positions, 3B and C?

SportsGuy has already presented his slanted or biased report on Mayo's future abilities to play a corner OF spot, especially his "surprising" speed that's not a quick speed but more about top speed after he gets going like Avi Garcia.

Yeah because this is a fair comparison. 

What part of the comparison isn’t fair?  I provided a certain prospect’s AA stats and scouting grades from this year vs. a player with a similar physique, scouting grades, and AA stats when he was the same age.  Not suggesting Player A will become Player B, but I do believe the latter is a very interesting comp.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What part of the comparison isn’t fair?  I provided a certain prospect’s AA stats and scouting grades from this year vs. a player with a similar physique, scouting grades, and AA stats when he was the same age.  Not suggesting Player A will become Player B, but I do believe the latter is a very interesting comp.

Well, first of all somehow Bryant and Soto have almost exactly the same fWAR in their first 6 seasons, which is rather neat, that’s how I missed that.

Now that I have this right - why isn’t player B the number 2 overall prospect in baseball?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, first of all somehow Bryant and Soto have almost exactly the same fWAR in their first 6 seasons, which is rather neat, that’s how I missed that.

Now that I have this right - why isn’t player B the number 2 overall prospect in baseball?

Because Player B lost his prospect status nine years ago?  If you mean Mayo, again I’m not suggesting he will become Kris Bryant.  The point I’m making is twofold though.  First, guys with his size / frame aren’t automatically destined for 1B if they have some level of athleticism and in this case a double plus arm.  Second, I think some people here don’t realize how good his offensive numbers were last year, especially for someone his age.  I personally think he’s a 60 FV prospect even with positional uncertainty because the bat could be special.

With the prices remaining sky-high in the trade market for starters, the Orioles might consider looking more closely at free-agent starters.

Corbin Burnes is almost surely staying in Milwaukee now, and Shane Bieber seems likely to stay in Cleveland, as well. The O’s talked a lot about Dylan Cease but still don’t seem close.

The price for Cease is said by one GM (not Baltimore’s) to be “the sun and the moon.” Considering the dollar costs of free-agent starters, that may be about right.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t follow.

You can’t pick one dude who has a handful of similar characteristics and expect it to be a meaningful comp. Whether it’s comping Mayo to Bryant or it’s comping every right handed hitting 1B to Andrew Vaughn. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic