Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

28 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You know what, you're right about this one. Castillo is a really good comp for Cease because he was as inconsistent as Cease was but with premium stuff. What was the deal for him I forget? I think Castillo had a little more control than Cease does but I could be wrong. The major difference between Castillo and Cease is that I think Castillo had more good seasons than Cease did. 

Noelvi Marte (#23), Edwin Arroyo (#57), Levi Stoudt and a fourth guy I've never heard of who probably isn't making the majors. I'd be thrilled with this kind of return for Cease I think. I wouldn't mind STL as a trading partner and a deal centered around Masyn Winn and Tink Hence. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

Anyway, from the Orioles, how unreasonable am I being here?

Kjerstad, Bradfield (should have been the Sox pick once Teel was off the board), Povich and Juan Nunez for Cease and any random throw in like Jimmy Lambert.

I like this. Bradfield sure sounds like the type of player the current regime wants.

Ugh. Can't get over the Gonzalez pick still. (Hope he proves me wrong.)

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Some people  think that Cease won't bring that much in return. If that's true why not simply keep him on the team and resign him? Cease indicated last year that he would be willing  to sign an extension with the White Sox. Maybe I'm missing something here but if Cease is traded who's going to be the Opening Day starter, Kopech? It would be a good PR move if Cease was given an extension.

Still stung by Danks and that was only $65 million and five years…and nearly a decade ago.

He won’t get anything near what he wants, which is to be treated closer to the 2022 version that 2023.   That’s at least a $150+ million extension, if not $175.

And all for a pitcher that is clearly being questioned whether he’s actually an ace or not still going forward.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Some people  think that Cease won't bring that much in return. If that's true why not simply keep him on the team and resign him? Cease indicated last year that he would be willing  to sign an extension with the White Sox. Maybe I'm missing something here but if Cease is traded who's going to be the Opening Day starter, Kopech? It would be a good PR move if Cease was given an extension.

Scott Boras/Jerry

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Cease indicated last year that he would be willing  to sign an extension with the White Sox.

Given what’s come out about the clubhouse, I’d be very weary of signing anyone who wants to sign with the Sox.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Good enough for me.

I now demand they make this trade.

For what its worth and that's not much, according to Baseball Trade Values, Cease's surplus value (44.80) is virtually identical to the combined surplus value of Kjerstad, Ortiz, Bradfield and Povich (44.30).

I'm pretty sure no one here would turn down that package for Cease. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Right now our starting staff has to be the worst I’ve seen since I became a Sox fan in 1952, I don’t see how we can trade Cease at this time unless there are plans to sign some decent free agent pitchers. I also wouldn’t be unhappy if they brought back Giolitio, he wasn’t that bad with the Sox in 2023 with a .500 record and a 3.74 ERA. He stunk the rest of the year after we traded him, depending on what he wants and for how long I think he ‘s worth a shot.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Right now our starting staff has to be the worst I’ve seen since I became a Sox fan in 1952, I don’t see how we can trade Cease at this time unless there are plans to sign some decent free agent pitchers. I also wouldn’t be unhappy if they brought back Giolitio, he wasn’t that bad with the Sox in 2023 with a .500 record and a 3.74 ERA. He stunk the rest of the year after we traded him, depending on what he wants and for how long I think he ‘s worth a shot.

2024 simply doesn’t matter.  This team has no chance of competing next year and you have to do what’s best for 2025 forward.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2024 simply doesn’t matter.  This team has no chance of competing next year and you have to do what’s best for 2025 forward.

This is my thought, too.  Considering the Sox would be highly unlikely to be able to extend Cease, trade him now.  The starting pitching FA market is not great, so there will be teams looking to acquire some pitchers via trade.  Despite a relatively rough 2023, Cease is a really nice option for teams looking to bolster their rotation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

This is my thought, too.  Considering the Sox would be highly unlikely to be able to extend Cease, trade him now.  The starting pitching FA market is not great, so there will be teams looking to acquire some pitchers via trade.  Despite a relatively rough 2023, Cease is a really nice option for teams looking to bolster their rotation.

Agreed.  There will be teams that can’t afford the couple of high-end options in free agency, which will force them to the trade market if they want a potential impact SP.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If 2024 doesn’t matter then then we will see the worst Sox team in their pathetic history, maybe as bad as the 1962 expansion NY Mets. I don’t think most Sox fans are all in on another rebuild and will probably say enough is enough with this franchise, at 78 years old I’m hanging with them but have lived in Florida for 30 years and it would be no big deal for me to switch my allegiance to the Rays as I watch just about all their games now, if I still lived in Chicago, I don’t know what I would do.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If 2024 doesn’t matter then then we will see the worst Sox team in their pathetic history, maybe as bad as the 1962 expansion NY Mets. I don’t think most Sox fans are all in on another rebuild and will probably say enough is enough with this franchise, at 78 years old I’m hanging with them but have lived in Florida for 30 years and it would be no big deal for me to switch my allegiance to the Rays as I watch just about all their games now, if I still lived in Chicago, I don’t know what I would do.

That’s all fair, but holding onto to Cease as part of a plan to lose 90 games rather than 100 will cost us greatly beyond 2024.   Next year will almost certainly be a disaster no matter what we do and I’d rather suffer a bit in hopes of having a team that can win a shitty AL Central by 2026. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s all fair, but holding onto to Cease as part of a plan to lose 90 games rather than 100 will cost us greatly beyond 2024.   Next year will almost certainly be a disaster no matter what we do and I’d rather suffer a bit in hopes of having a team that can win a shitty AL Central by 2026. 

Here’s the thing, JR is 10 years older than me and he said he’s not in on another rebuild but we all know he won’t spend the really big bucks on free agents so just what is his solution to this mess. 

29 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Yep.

We've already seen what will soon be the third-worst team in franchise history. Might as well top it off.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Here’s the thing, JR is 10 years older than me and he said he’s not in on another rebuild but we all know he won’t spend the really big bucks on free agents so just what is his solution to this mess. 

His solution is to continue making money. As long as he does that he is content. Everything else is just lip service.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

His solution is to continue making money. As long as he does that he is content. Everything else is just lip service.

Crazy to think the Sox will make money. I understand why they will (TV revenue,  which baffles me. The economy is totally in the tank; have u walked out of a grocery story paying under 60 bucks just for some fruit, lunch meat, just a couple odds and ends like toothpaste?) yet somehow the networks can pay exorbitant amounts for a sport with low ratings. The Sox will be unwatchable next year yet the TV money piles in. Very strange stuff. ... Think of how bad this team is going to be. Nobody's gonna watch.

That said ... get the biggest haul you can for Cease. The Sox aren't gonna contend for a while even if everybody wants that. We have to face reality. Try to get somebody as good a prospect as Robert. Throw TA in the deal and make it a blockbuster (even tho TA lost all power and is not very good anymore).

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic