40 man and rule 5 deadline on Tuesday

WestEddy

18 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Here's one to grab

I found a Nov 10th article on MLB.com on the Cubs minor league organizational All-Stars.  I found this mention interesting:

Perlaza had been with the Cubs since signing in 2015, but he elected free agency this week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Are they really keeping Foster, Cronin, Peralta et al; and both Romy and Remillard and  AAAA Haseley on the 40 man?

They don't have higher-upside players to protect? Or want room for higher upside players that others don't protect?

1. They do not have higher upside players to protect. This org is in that bad of shape.

2. If their 40 man is at 37, they have plenty of room to grab a couple of higher upside players from other teams right now, and can figure out what to do with their roster as time goes by and as players are traded or released. Other teams will need 40 man roster spots during the offseason to sign free agents, so some guys who might get claimed right now if they were available might be able to pass through later in the offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1. They do not have higher upside players to protect. This org is in that bad of shape.

2. If their 40 man is at 37, they have plenty of room to grab a couple of higher upside players from other teams right now, and can figure out what to do with their roster as time goes by and as players are traded or released. Other teams will need 40 man roster spots during the offseason to sign free agents, so some guys who might get claimed right now if they were available might be able to pass through later in the offseason.

Even shots in the dark are worth protecting more than some players on the 40 man. Haseley?  come on.

• Fire 1
  • TLR 2

32 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Even shots in the dark are worth protecting more than some players on the 40 man. Haseley?  come on.

No because then you have to keep them on the 40-man forever. It’s not worth it. There are lots of moveable parts for sure but don’t need resolution yet 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They can always cut bait on the fat of the 40-man when needed. It doesn’t seem very likely that anyone else is at risk of being selected and kept on a major league roster all year long, at least that's how they're viewing it, and I'd have to tend to agree with that assessment. They aren't burning option years unnecessarily either, which isn't nothing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He seems like a no brainer. Has been a pretty solid pitcher apart from last year.

If Cleveland (who is one of the better development organizations in the league) of all teams is releasing you, then that signals red flags to me.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/toughest-rule-5-draft-decisions-2023?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

From this list, Haskin, Ginn, and Jarvis all feel like "invite to training camp for a look" guys

I'd take a flier on Robinson.  Once a top 20 prospect.  Then go in foreign legal trouble came back last year and played well.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If Cleveland (who is one of the better development organizations in the league) of all teams is releasing you, then that signals red flags to me.

But consider that if Cease is traded, our Opening Day starter may be Touki, another Cleveland cast-off

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

But consider that if Cease is traded, our Opening Day starter may be Touki, another Cleveland cast-off

Oh definitely. I was more or less thinking of this org believing they can compete. Now if they trade Cease, that signals rebuild for me. Then sure, get Quantrill cause we'll need the innings from somebody. And then I guess hope you can flip him at the deadline if he pitches decent enough.