The A's are moving to Vegas thread

Quin

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm also guessing that MLB is guiding the A's away from a couple targeted expansion cities, too, like Nashville and Portland, OR. Even tho it's a small market, I think anchoring a team in Vegas locks in some gambling dollars. 

Just based on how much of a mess this looks like, I find it hard to believe that MLB is taking an active role in managing this. Even if things got ironed out quickly we're looking at the As being basically homeless for what, 2-3 seasons? Between how bad the politics look in Nevada with this move and how good the As fanbase came out looking last year, even if this gets dealt with it looks like a huge amount of bad publicity for the league right now. Is there anyone who isn't hoping for more chaos in this just to spite the As owner?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just based on how much of a mess this looks like, I find it hard to believe that MLB is taking an active role in managing this. Even if things got ironed out quickly we're looking at the As being basically homeless for what, 2-3 seasons? Between how bad the politics look in Nevada with this move and how good the As fanbase came out looking last year, even if this gets dealt with it looks like a huge amount of bad publicity for the league right now. Is there anyone who isn't hoping for more chaos in this just to spite the As owner?

What's going on with the politics in Nevada? 

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

What's going on with the politics in Nevada? 

I mean, the stadium deal hasn't actually come to fruition there right? We're literally still posting about this because they don't have agreement on a stadium deal. We've seen more of the proposed White Sox stadium for 2030 than of the Vegas stadium for 2028.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the stadium deal hasn't actually come to fruition there right? We're literally still posting about this because they don't have agreement on a stadium deal. We've seen more of the proposed White Sox stadium for 2030 than of the Vegas stadium for 2028.

I looked it up on the Google machine and see that the Teachers Union in Nevada is suing to block the use of taxpayer funds to help build the new As stadium. I guess John Fisher and company didn't put together a shiny enough proposal to win people over. 

Vegas' WNBA team nearly outdrew the A's last year. The only people who want Fisher's team in Vegas are construction workers, it's the only reason this weak watered down deal passed after the better one was rejected.

2023 Average Home Attendance

• 10,275 Oakland A's
  • 9,551 WNBA Las Vegas Aces
  • 6,838 Summerlin (Las Vegas) AAA Aviators (Down from a high of 9,299 in 2019)
  • Like 1

Oakland really, really wants the $70M annual payment from CSN Sports California to cover their entire payroll ($59.4M) and more.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/athletics-to-meet-with-government-officials-about-coliseum-lease-extension.html

Oakland mayor Sheng Thao has previously indicated that the city would have lofty demands in any lease discussions, such as the city retaining the rights to the name “Athletics” or a guarantee of a future expansion franchise. More recently, she indicated the city is willing to reopen talks with the club, but also relayed that she hadn’t spoken with owner John Fisher since he started focusing on the Vegas move in April.

Make Fisher pay, and pay a lot Mayor Thao, and keep the Athletics name, colors, history, records, awards and archives as the City of Cleveland did in their settlement with the Cleveland Browns!

The settlement stipulated that the reactivated team for Cleveland would retain the Browns' name, colors, history, records, awards, and archives. It was approved by league owners after a 25–2 vote, with three abstentions. The two "no" votes were from Ralph Wilson of Buffalo and Dan Rooney of Pittsburgh. The three abstentions were from the owners whose teams at the time had most recently re-located (the Cardinals, Raiders and Rams), thus notably including Raiders' owner Al Davis who had earlier publicly clashed with Modell regarding franchise moves.

1 hour ago, Snowy Demon said:

Does Fisher have any leverage anymore with Oakland?  This may end up in a textbook as "how not to conduct a negotiation".  

None with the City, which has two USL franchises planned to move into the Coliseum in 2025. Fisher blocked them from moving in earlier.

Forbes wrote an article as to why it would be better both for Fisher’s team and MLB to leave the Athletics name and branding in Oakland, and start fresh in Las Vegas or wherever they end up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2023/11/30/for-mlb-las-vegas-and-oakland-the-as-name-and-brand-should-stay-put/?sh=1022b283a5a1#:~:text=Importantly%2C it is the “A's,stay in the East Bay.

The Athletics were the last team to relocate in 1967 when they left Kansas City and kept their name and branding. 

MLB Relocation History:

Six teams changed their name and branding:

• 2004 Montreal Expos => 2005 Washington Nationals 
  • 1971 Washington Senators => 1972 Texas Rangers 
  • 1969 Seattle Pilots => 1970 Milwaukee Brewers
  • 1960 Washington Senators => 1961 Minnesota Twins
  • 1953 Saint Louis Browns => 1954 Baltimore Orioles
  • 1901 Milwaukee Brewers => 1902 Saint Louis Browns

Four teams kept their name and branding:

• 1957 New York => 1958 San Francisco 
  • 1957 Brooklyn => 1958 Los Angeles
  • 1954 Philadelphia => 1955 Kansas City => 1968 Oakland
  • 1952 Boston => 1953 Milwaukee => 1966 Atlanta
Edited by South Side Hit Men

Let’s have fun killing time in speculating a potential Las Vegas Athletics name change. I’ll start:

Las Vegas Jackpots

Las Vegas Crackheads

Las Vegas Alcoholics 

Las Vegas Rollers

Las Vegas Rats

Las Vegas Strippers

Las Vegas Sinners

Las Vegas Risers

Las Vegas Sidewinders

Las Vegas Saddlebags

Las Vegas Miners

Las Vegas Mobsters

Las Vegas Drunks

And yes… all of these options suck.

On 2/14/2024 at 12:55 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

Oakland really, really wants the $70M annual payment from CSN Sports California to cover their entire payroll ($59.4M) and more.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/athletics-to-meet-with-government-officials-about-coliseum-lease-extension.html

Make Fisher pay, and pay a lot Mayor Thao, and keep the Athletics name, colors, history, records, awards and archives as the City of Cleveland did in their settlement with the Cleveland Browns!

They never should have been the Oakland As. That should have stayed in Philadelphia when they moved after fifty years. Close the record books on the Philadelphia As. Then when they moved have new records for the Kansas City (new name). Then when they moved again start records for the Oakland (new name). Now start a new set of records for wherever they land next. 

When Kansas City was an expansion team they should have had the choice to keep the records from when a team played there or start with a clean slate. 

50 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Las Vegas Bees

Las Vegas Vees

Las Vegas Transients

Las Vegas Green Knights

Las Vegas Sideshows

Las Vegas Circus

Las Vegas Dignity

Las Vegas Wanderers

Las Vegas Miners

Yea… hard to come up with a name.

Las Vegas Stitches. 😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I like that. Actually there is another team that could use it

The 2024 Chicago Light Sox

Get Miller beer back as a sponsor with Lite Sox new name until season’s result is .500 or above.

Not so different from GR downward arrow.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t followed the A’s situation much, so I’m surprised there is no stadium plan in place.  Shouldn’t that be one of the first things to do, make sure you have a place to actually play?  Wasn’t the stadium in Tampa built with the White Sox in mind?

• Thanks 1