10 for your personal Hall of Shame

wegner

4 hours ago, wegner said:

Now I feel bad for being too negative. How about naming Sox players who maybe were not the best but you just liked for some reason. I have quite a few of those, but I'll still name a few.... Tim Hulett, Craig Grebeck, Don Pall, Darren Lewis.

Ed Farmer

Ross Baumgarten

Rich Wortham

Mike Proly

Wayne Nordhagen

Reid Nichols

Jason Bere

Tony Graffanino

Charles Johnson

Jake Burger

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Ed Farmer

Ross Baumgarten

Rich Wortham

Mike Proly

Wayne Nordhagen

Reid Nichols

Jason Bere

Tony Graffanino

Charles Johnson

Jake Burger

Outstanding selections 

Is that Tex Wortham?

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

December 15, 1993 - Sox G.M. Ron Schueler’s luck with taking chances on hurt or limited free agents continued when he signed Julio Franco to a contract. Franco would have a tremendous 1994 season hitting behind Frank Thomas. Julio would have 20 home runs, 98 RBI’s, eight stolen bases and a .319 batting average in his one year in Chicago. He went to Japan the next year because the Sox refused to meet his asking price on a new deal and with labor unrest on the horizon wanted some stability.

January 22, 1996 - The Sox dealt two minor leaguers to Oakland for slugger Danny Tartabull.

The enigmatic Tartabull who had as much talent as anyone, but often didn’t show it, put together a very good season on the South Side, with 27 home runs and 101 RBI’s. The two minor leaguers sent to the A’s were never heard from again. Danny then signed a free agent deal with the Phillies the following year.

His best game for the White Sox came in Boston on September 14 that season when he drove in six runs in a 13-5 win at Fenway Park. He went 2 for 4 with two runs scored. Four of his RBI’s came on an eighth inning grand slam. 

Those two guys at least produced when they were a member of the team. 

In my mind I remember Canseco being productive.  Don’t know if my memory is correct on that one.

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yes!

The Sox had four lefty starters at that point - Wortham, Baumgarten, Kravec, Trout.

I see that after baseball, Wortham served as the executive director of the Texas Beef Council....sounds like a guy I'd like to know :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

December 15, 1993 - Sox G.M. Ron Schueler’s luck with taking chances on hurt or limited free agents continued when he signed Julio Franco to a contract. Franco would have a tremendous 1994 season hitting behind Frank Thomas. Julio would have 20 home runs, 98 RBI’s, eight stolen bases and a .319 batting average in his one year in Chicago. He went to Japan the next year because the Sox refused to meet his asking price on a new deal and with labor unrest on the horizon wanted some stability.

January 22, 1996 - The Sox dealt two minor leaguers to Oakland for slugger Danny Tartabull.

The enigmatic Tartabull who had as much talent as anyone, but often didn’t show it, put together a very good season on the South Side, with 27 home runs and 101 RBI’s. The two minor leaguers sent to the A’s were never heard from again. Danny then signed a free agent deal with the Phillies the following year.

His best game for the White Sox came in Boston on September 14 that season when he drove in six runs in a 13-5 win at Fenway Park. He went 2 for 4 with two runs scored. Four of his RBI’s came on an eighth inning grand slam. 

Those two guys at least produced when they were a member of the team. 

Cover of Sun Times when Franco was signed was White Sox HIre A Hitman man was he good that year that Jerry ended early. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, Balta1701 said:

Every time this list comes up I add Jake Peavy because I've never wanted a player to shut up and actually pitch more than him. Never seen a guy talk so much while doing so little. 

Maybe Joe Kelly can fit into this role too? 

I…what?

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:32 AM, FloydBannister1983 said:

Yes!

The Sox had four lefty starters at that point - Wortham, Baumgarten, Kravec, Trout.

All four of them in 79 had winning records along with the righty Francisco Barrios who also had a winning record but the team still finished around 15 games under.500.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

I used to get mad and blast several Sox players on here. I tend to forget negative things however so maybe some long time posters can remind me who i hated the most.

If i think back, I truly disliked

-- Dunn. I remember he hit under .100 for a long spell his first year with the Sox, didn't he?

-- Erstad.

-- George Bell.

-- Melky.

-- Kotsay

-- Swisher

-- Peavy

I'm sure there were some others.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I used to get mad and blast several Sox players on here. I tend to forget negative things however so maybe some long time posters can remind me who i hated the most.

If i think back, I truly disliked

-- Dunn. I remember he hit under .100 for a long spell his first year with the Sox, didn't he?

-- Erstad.

-- George Bell.

-- Melky.

-- Kotsay

-- Swisher

-- Peavy

I'm sure there were some others.

In 2011 Dunn only hit 11 home runs with 42 RBI’s and had a batting average of .159. It was literally one of the worst seasons in 100 years of MLB according to the metrics and stats. 

17 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

(I am currently replaying this 1979 season in APBA.  It was a different game back then.)

To me the biggest difference is the starting pitching and the lack of complete games, just for fun I checked on the 79 team and they had 28 complete games, also checked the 59 American League Champions and they had 44 complete games, the 2023 White Sox had a grand total of 2 complete games. 

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In 2011 Dunn only hit 11 home runs with 42 RBI’s and had a batting average of .159. It was literally one of the worst seasons in 100 years of MLB according to the metrics and stats. 

One problem with the Sox now I'd think is people not caring. I used to really rip the guys I disliked on this board like Dunn. Frankly I'm numb now. I expect us to lose every series and certainly expect us to be out of the race the first week of May and fully expect to finish last in the division. I'd imagine nobody in the city is truly looking forward to following this team at all in 2024. I certainly feel no need to defend any one player anymore and pretty much despise the players equally. I sort of like Robert, still am OK with Eloy.

It would be interesting to see how many teams hold a winter fanfest. Are the Sox the only one skipping it? If so that'd be a sign they don't care. They could at least have a fan fest and give away some stuff while trying to sell 100 or so season tickets. Hold it in Naperville or Lisle and test the interest in the suburbs for a potential move someday.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

To me the biggest difference is the starting pitching and the lack of complete games, just for fun I checked on the 79 team and they had 28 complete games, also checked the 59 American League Champions and they had 44 complete games, the 2023 White Sox had a grand total of 2 complete games. 

The strikeouts too.  Very noticeable.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 6:08 PM, FloydBannister1983 said:

Ed Farmer

Ross Baumgarten

Rich Wortham

Mike Proly

Wayne Nordhagen

Reid Nichols

Jason Bere

Tony Graffanino

Charles Johnson

Jake Burger

I reach a point as a fan I'd like and support a guy forever once their full body of work convinces me of their excellence. When they tail off at the end I'd still defend them fully. That would be Pauley, Fisk, Dye, Abreu, Ozzie, guys like that. Players that win me over. ... Trivia time: The Sox have had four players with the last name of Allen. Name these players. I only liked one of the four, which one did I like? Peace out. 

This trivia question reminds me. Remember Bill Almon, not Allen? He was not very good. The Sox also have had three players with the last name of Alomar and six named Anderson.

Edited by greg775

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I reach a point as a fan I'd like and support a guy forever once their full body of work convinces me of their excellence. When they tail off at the end I'd still defend them fully. That would be Pauley, Fisk, Dye, Abreu, Ozzie, guys like that. Players that win me over. ... Trivia time: The Sox have had four players with the last name of Allen. Name these players. I only liked one of the four, which one did I like? Peace out. 

This trivia question reminds me. Remember Bill Almon, not Allen? He was not very good.

Of course you liked Dick Allen, off the top of my head there was his brother Hank and pitcher Neil Allen, I can’t recall the 4th Allen. Do the owner brothers Arthur and John Allyn count?

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, WestEddy said:

I tried to do this organically. Navarro just sucked, replacing Alex Fernandez. Kemp, for being traded for Lemon. Wells and Kruk could have kept their mouths shut, leaving. Viciedo and Avisail for all the unfulfilled prospect. Beckham was just a sad sack. Ritchie fell off a table, and LaRoche could really just suck it. 

Jaime Navarro

Todd Ritchie

Steve Kemp

David Wells

Nick Swisher

John Kruk

Dayan Viciedo

Adam LaRoche

Avisail Garcia

Gordon Beckham

Nyls Nyman

Ed Stroud