Sox Sign Erick Fedde - 2 years, $15 million

Heads22

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

His ERA will be closer to 6.00 than 4.00.

I’ll place a bet that it will be below 5.00.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Reminiscent of Derek Holland...just don't feel ugh excitement at all but at least not Scholtens in the rotation.

Inroads into Korea and Japan someday?

Tigers already beating Sox there...handily.

What I’m trying to understand is how they got Takatsu and Iguchi and haven’t had much luck since. Do Asian players not hit the open market as much, or do they need to be subjected to meeting the posting fee and international slot money, which the Sox won’t pay?

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’ll place a bet that it will be below 5.00.

What I’m trying to understand is how they got Takatsu and Iguchi and haven’t had much luck since. Do Asian players not hit the open market as much, or do they need to be subjected to meeting the posting fee and international slot money, which the Sox won’t pay?

Sox have had zero or 1 scout (at most) there for most of the last decade...JR probably has a moral issue with posting fees or paying exorbitant rates for "unproven" players at the major league level.

Ofc, he doesn't mind the "below market value" deals for Cubans like Jose Abreu, Alexei Ramirez and Luis Robert.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Oh I agree. Just saying, the next time the Sox figure something out that no one else knows in Asia will be the first time

Iguichi was good for the 2005 team without seeing him live. So was takatsu for a while. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Iguichi was good for the 2005 team without seeing him live. So was takatsu for a while. 

this is my absolute favorite White Sox moment that I was lucky enough to see live! Iguchi, Rowand and Konerko going back-to-back-to-back. Jose Contreras was electric too, allowing one run in 8 innings.

of course, Randy Johnson was my favorite pitcher, which is I assume why we went to this game, so a little bittersweet.

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

This move Kopech to the pen and trade Cease. 

Soroka

Montas

Fedde 

Shuster 

Nastrini

I don't think that will be the rotation at all. I know it's your preferred starters but it appears they will have enough arms for the opening day 5 starters to be replaced due to struggles or injury.

I see no reason to put Kopech in the pen.

It's the Sox job to try to get some value from him as a starter before he reaches FA. Peak value would be as a successful starter. That may never happen but they still have try to extract upside especially now that Bannister will have major input.

He may not be the same guy who was a top prospect anymore but there's still a chance ,albeit a small one, that he can harness the stuff he now possessesand become a mid or back of a rotation arm.

All the starting pitchers who aren't rookies in 2024 are in short term impress me types roles. Any one of Sorotka, Feddes, Toussaint, Scholtens and Kopech who can give quality innings without massive ERAs will get chances to provide tradable value.

Guys like Schuster and Nastrini are the AAA backups. They have to prove they are worthy of being called up and be future parts of the rotation. No sense wasting their options and years of control right away. There has to be a plan in place to find value right now not your future starting pitchers.

• Thanks 1

I was a bit skeptical of this one at the cost. 2/10 would have been awesome....but after the Bannister tweet, maybe he truly did unlock his potential. He has a blue chip pedigree and promise that never happened, but mostly im just glad he pitched 180 innings. Sox need some innings eaters and 7-8 mil is that range in this market. A gamble that could really pay off and maybe see Getz has some savvy. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Well, I mean, ok. I love both of those guys, but, the Sox got one 1WAR season out of Shingo. I'll grant you Iguchi unconditionally.

But the world was a very different place back then.

Come on. The gong was worth like 1 war on its own. So I'm calling it 2 war. I'll see myself out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I disagree. 

I think he is a project for Banister and there is way too much talent there

Exactly and I just got done saying the exact same thing. There's absolutely no reason to put him in the pen.

Best case scenario for him and the Sox is to make him as valuable of a pitcher as possible. Where the Sox are at right now is finding value not wins or losses or finding BP pieces. He's not a FA till 2026 so he's still got 2 years to make good as a Starting Pitcher.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think they don't sign any of them but if they do it'll be the last one unsigned among the three. Why not throw Giolito in the mix too?

Because Gio and the organization disagreed on salary this past year, the Sox took him to arbitration over 50,000, pocket change and it left hard feelings. Plus on the other side, Gio was the MLBPA union rep and those never sit well with JR who still thinks he can break the players union and get a salary cap. 

I'd like to get him back but I don't think it will happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Because Gio and the organization disagreed on salary this past year, the Sox took him to arbitration over 50,000, pocket change and it left hard feelings. Plus on the other side, Gio was the MLBPA union rep and those never sit well with JR who still thinks he can break the players union and get a salary cap. 

I'd like to get him back but I don't think it will happen.

I'm aware of the situation but he's looking for a job . I know you and I and many others have a very low opinion of JR but that level of pettiness is hard to fathom if he truly wants a shot to find some viable starting pitcher candidates who fit his budget and has a good name recognition with fans.

It might not be as unlikely to happen as bringing back Tim Anderson to play 2nd base but they both have bottomed out and may provide upside. That seems to be where we're at right now, searching for cheap bounceback candidates.

54 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think that will be the rotation at all. I know it's your preferred starters but it appears they will have enough arms for the opening day 5 starters to be replaced due to struggles or injury.

I see no reason to put Kopech in the pen.

It's the Sox job to try to get some value from him as a starter before he reaches FA. Peak value would be as a successful starter. That may never happen but they still have try to extract upside especially now that Bannister will have major input.

He may not be the same guy who was a top prospect anymore but there's still a chance ,albeit a small one, that he can harness the stuff he now possessesand become a mid or back of a rotation arm.

All the starting pitchers who aren't rookies in 2024 are in short term impress me types roles. Any one of Sorotka, Feddes, Toussaint, Scholtens and Kopech who can give quality innings without massive ERAs will get chances to provide tradable value.

Guys like Schuster and Nastrini are the AAA backups. They have to prove they are worthy of being called up and be future parts of the rotation. No sense wasting their options and years of control right away. There has to be a plan in place to find value right now not your future starting pitchers.

Just hope Eder doesn't automatically get slotted into Bummer's spot...which essentially is Crochet and Tanner Banks for the moment.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic