Sox Sign Erick Fedde - 2 years, $15 million

Heads22

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just hope Eder doesn't automatically get slotted into Bummer's spot...which essentially is Crochet and Tanner Banks for the moment.

That won't happen, he needs starters innings badly. He has to be developed as a starter. Leasure probably is in the pen. It's very difficult to project  anything for the bullpen when so many names are so new to us.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I’ll place a bet that it will be below 5.00.

What I’m trying to understand is how they got Takatsu and Iguchi and haven’t had much luck since. Do Asian players not hit the open market as much, or do they need to be subjected to meeting the posting fee and international slot money, which the Sox won’t pay?

I know you are describing it as "haven't had much luck since" but luck is the residue of design. International Free agents have never been the Sox strong suit among a host of other things.

Branch Rickey like to use that quote about luck being the residue of design which is attributed John Milton in the 17th Century.

To expand the definition we have this: Luck isn't for the chosen few, it's the residue of design. It's created through conscious, intentional focus and clarity – and by being willing to make choices that support rather than subtract from your intended outcome. stephaniepollock.com

This does not sound like the White Sox under the Reinsdorf's ownership in many many different areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm fine with the Fedde deal, assuming he wasn't using the sticky stuff or other banned substances to succeed in Korea. It seems as though Boras goosed it an extra $4M ($2M per year), would be interesting to see if the Mets guaranteed more than $10M.

The reason I'm responding is this tidbit in the linked article which makes me want to puke, unless they actually go out and get a legitimate player who can field in RF, and a 4th/5th OF so that Gavin Sheets never wears a mitt in MLB again. Would prefer to start Sheets in the minors unless Eloy is dumped.

Right field

Oscar Colas will open next season at Triple-A Charlotte, and while first baseman Gavin Sheets ‘‘looks to be capable’’ in right field, ‘‘it doesn’t mean that we’re not going to go out there and find ways to improve our defense as a whole,’’ Getz said.

Center fielder Luis Robert Jr., a Gold Glove winner as a rookie in 2020, and left fielder Andrew Benintendi are set, Getz said, but ‘‘we think we can get even better out there. Just to find a team of outfielders is something we’re set out to do.’’

Hell, play Billy Hamilton over Sheets. A .500 OPS Billy can still score many runs every time reaching with steals of 2nd and a good number of steals of 3rd. He's still going to be a plus RF.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know you are describing it as "haven't had much luck since" but luck is the residue of design. International Free agents have never been the Sox strong suit among a host of other things.

Branch Rickey like to use that quote about luck being the residue of design which is attributed John Milton in the 17th Century.

To expand the definition we have this: Luck isn't for the chosen few, it's the residue of design. It's created through conscious, intentional focus and clarity – and by being willing to make choices that support rather than subtract from your intended outcome. stephaniepollock.com

This does not sound like the White Sox under the Reinsdorf's ownership in many many different areas.

Understood. I guess I don’t understand where resources have gone when they have signed Asian players in the past. I always thought players from overseas were productive for the teams they played for, particularly Iguchi for the White Sox. Your point is probably right, it’s probably just not a focus of the Reinsdorf ownership group and won’t be given the organization’s makeup. I just didn’t fully grasp the rules of signing international players.

At least he's a body with a reasonable resume. Granted he hasn't done squat in the bigs and he's 30 but like everybody is saying it's worth the gamble. Not our money. I hope he does well as a 5 inning guy. Need to shore up that bullpen.

Nick Martinez signed 3 years/$26 million coming back from Japan...fairly similar numbers except for commitment to third season.

White Sox definitely seem to be looking at a theoretical 2026-29 contention window, although many or most want be surprised if it's not 2027.

Going to be a lot of shuffling of non core pieces to get to those rosters...much more so than 2017-19 White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Based on his career stats it’s not even a gamble, it’s more like hoping for a miracle, am I missing something.

Just the KBO results, repertoire change and boost in confidence.

Former first round draft pick of another team should be plenty familiar.

1/25 to 1/50 odds he's the next Merrill Kelly...or Sox version thereof.

Going rate for pitching.  The anti running backs.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Based on his career stats it’s not even a gamble, it’s more like hoping for a miracle, am I missing something.

He added a sweeper and greatly improved his changeup via a grip adjustment.  Not uncommon for pitchers to suddenly become more valuable after usage & repertoire changes.  Whether it happens here remains to be seen, but worth the gamble at the price given our competitive outlook and need for innings.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He might be able to fix his mechanics but it’s his head that’s the problem.

I haven't been in his head like you have but like any player who hasn't lived up to the hype there are reasons. For him it's been finding a 3rd pitch and command.

However like many of our players health has been a large factor , particularly his knee.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Well looks like all our projected starters are going to be dubbed The Bannister Bunch or Bannister's Boys.

Difficult assignment turning chopped liver into prime rib but it seems like he takes a lot of pride in helping the downtrodden pitchers rediscover their abilities.

ESPN gave Fedde move a B-

"But ... how is this possible? How can a pitcher pitch himself out of the major leagues and, just one year later, land a $15 million commitment? (What kind of magic is Boras actually practicing?) Clearly Fedde changed some things. The KBO isn't quite MLB caliber, but it's awfully good and you don't just go over and dominate it simply because you were a big leaguer. In a profile in the Washington Post, Fedde cited a full makeover -- better health (he'd had shoulder trouble), better pitch design, the whole works. The results speak for themselves.

Also, the performance of players from overseas is better measured than ever before, cutting down on the uncertainty that surrounds standouts who, in the States, only the most ardent have every heard about. If the performance tracking metrics are there, then teams are willing to dive head first into the deep end of the pool.

And that's what the White Sox did on Tuesday, with a pitcher who, over the course of less than a calendar year, has left his long, unsightly big league performance record in the dust. It kind of makes you wonder why teams just don't hire away the pitching coaches from overseas, but that's a different topic.

The baseline talent is there, even if it had gone long unrealized. Fedde was a first-round pick out of UNLV by Washington back in 2014 and spent multiple years touted as a top-100 prospect, including a No. 52 ranking by Baseball American in 2017. Now, if Fedde can turn his 2023 KBO performance into a similar MLB impact, this deal will be a steal for the White Sox and will score one for those who believe in the idea of the rapid reinvention. And if he's the five-plus ERA guy at heart, well, it's only money."

https://africa.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/38833715/2023-24-mlb-offseason-grades-free-agency-trade-analysis

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
On 12/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I see one more legitimate starter, but two seems unlikely IMO.  I think we see the following to start the year.

1. <Free Agent>
  2. Mike Soroka
  3. Erick Fedde
  4. Micheal Kopech
  5. Touki/Shuster/Nastrini

Lol'ing at the probable reality of them swaying some #4 guy to sign with them because they can promise him an opening day start.

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2023 at 10:36 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I see one more legitimate starter, but two seems unlikely IMO.  I think we see the following to start the year.

1. <Free Agent>
  2. Mike Soroka
  3. Erick Fedde
  4. Micheal Kopech
  5. Touki/Shuster/Nastrini

The White Sox are really going to lose 100 games again, aren't they