Glasnow traded to Dodgers

Chicago White Sox

For the record I have not been saying Cease has a lack of value, you jus tmis

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

A distinct possibility. 

Man ATL would be the absolute worst. Something like AJSS + Grissom + some other lame prospects is very weak.

Very weak.

Even both pitchers is meh. 

We need LHS. 

Evidently Getz thinks the Ten Commandments says Thou Shall not Slug.

If so, he's a fucking moron. LDB is a lame way to play.

Even if Chicago got AJSS and Waldrep I would have to apologize to @bmags and @baseball_gal_aly because they would still be on balance right about Cease's lack of value. 

Two pitchers and no LHS is unacceptable.

One pitcher and a pile of crap is a disaster of biblical proportions. 

For the record I have not been stating Cease has a lack of value, you are just assuming this because I like grissom because he is good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

For the record I have not been stating Cease has a lack of value, you are just assuming this because I like grissom because he MIGHT BE good.

But far from an ideal fit for the White Sox, as they would undoubtedly end up playing him in the outfield or at DH. 

They currently seem bound and determined to force De Jong and Lopez as the double play combination.  

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

For the record I have not been stating Cease has a lack of value, you are just assuming this because I like grissom because he is good.

I think the point generally tho is you don't believe Cease will get back 2 Top 100s or some rough equivalent in SV.

To me at least if the package was AJSS, Grissom and some lottery tickets that would be a massive fail.

Massive. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think the point generally tho is you don't believe Cease will get back 2 Top 100s or some rough equivalent in SV.

To me at least if the package was AJSS, Grissom and some lottery tickets that would be a massive fail.

Massive. 

To be fair, Grissom himself just graduated off the top 100 prospect list (still has 6 years of control) and younger than about half the Dodgers prospects discussed on this board. He's being treated like he's just declined and fell off the T100 list or something. I think you're putting too much emphasis on a label.

Any of these prospects being talked about that debuted last year that would start the season at the MLB level in 2024 on the Sox would also have 6 years.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

A distinct possibility. 

Man ATL would be the absolute worst. Something like AJSS + Grissom + some other lame prospects is very weak.

Very weak.

Even both pitchers is meh. 

We need LHS. 

Evidently Getz thinks the Ten Commandments says Thou Shall not Slug.

If so, he's a fucking moron. LDB is a lame way to play.

Even if Chicago got AJSS and Waldrep I would have to apologize to @bmags and @baseball_gal_aly because they would still be on balance right about Cease's lack of value. 

Two pitchers and no LHS is unacceptable.

One pitcher and a pile of crap is a disaster of biblical proportions. 

Maybe then he holds Cease until the All Star break in the hopes he pitches much better than last year counting on his durability and others pitches lack thereof.

Risky for sure given how the Sox players really haven't been able to sustain a consistent track record of success. A lot depends on how Bannister might be planning to get Cease to throw more strikes which despite his success has always been his biggest problem.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah they can wait till ST starts but it doesn't make sense to take him into the season. 

Even if he pitches better I'm not sure  the return is going to be meaningfully better since it will be 1.5 years of control vs 2 years now so it might be a relative wash.

But for the good teams who take making the playoffs as a given it's the 2 post seasons that really matters.

If Cease can bounce back from his 2023 season he looks a lot more attractive for 2024 and 2025 playoffs.

I think right now a little panic about his value is just a part of the natural cycle when it's still mid December. You knew teams that you would suspect of wanting Cease still had other options on the SP market. You just have to wait that out and still hold the belief that he is very valuable.

A lot of teams in the hunt still have moves to make. They are testing Getz's resolve as a rookie GM trying to make him think that maybe his asking price is too high. This is likely to go on for another month minimum.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd still say Baltimore because it makes the most sense but I'm not sure at all. 

AA doesn't trade for Boras clients because he likes to extend players immediately after trading for them. They don't have any Boras guys I don't believe. 

I think the prevailing theory there is that since Cease is from Georgia he might be willing to agree to an extension.  Obviously that may be total BS given he is ultimately a Boras client, but perhaps there is  some merit there.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, the longer this Glasnow trade takes, the more it looks like misdirection (or greatly exaggerated certainty) from the Dodgers to aid in Cease negotiations.

Yeah since it was supposedly imminent but nothing went down it looks like an attempt to scare Getz into finalizing a trade with LAD.

If they want us to finalize something with them they should offer Getz the 4 man package you proposed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah since it was supposedly imminent but nothing went down it looks like an attempt to scare Getz into finalizing a trade with LAD.

If they want us to finalize something with them they should offer Getz the 4 man package you proposed. 

I may be in the minority, but I’d want Busch as part of a deal but at a relative discount given his age and lack of position.  Obviously Rushing is the more interesting prospect, but I think he’d weigh down the rest of the package quite a bit.  I think LA realizes that Busch is eroding value and will be looking to cash in even if they don’t get blue chip value for him.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I may be in the minority, but I’d want Busch as part of a deal but at a relative discount given his age and lack of position.  Obviously Rushing is the more interesting prospect, but I think he’d weigh down the rest of the package quite a bit.  I think LA realizes that Busch is eroding value and will be looking to cash in even if they don’t get blue chip value for him.

Is "his value is eroding" a worrisome sign for him? 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is "his value is eroding" a worrisome sign for him? 

Eh...the age thing is a legit concern but BA believes he has 55 hit/60 power from left side and IMO that's quite valuable for us even if he ends up at 1B. 

If you go by @Chicago White Sox hypothetical trade, we would still address 2B/SS in Sweeney and also quality RF and SP additions.

If realistically Sheehan is the headliner and I guess Busch and Pages are kind of 2A and 2B in the package it's fine. 

That's a really strong offer if it were to come to fruition and IMO it would be superior to any likely BAL offer. You are getting 4 guys who could all be on the ball club at some point in 2024.

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Eh...the age thing is a legit concern but BA believes he has 55 hit/60 power from left side and IMO that's quite valuable for us even if he ends up at 1B. 

If you go by @Chicago White Sox hypothetical trade, we would still address 2B/SS in Sweeney and also quality RF and SP additions.

If realistically Sheehan is the headliner and I guess Busch and Pages are kind of 2A and 2B in the package it's fine. 

That's a really strong offer if it were to come to fruition and IMO it would be superior to any likely BAL offer. You are getting 4 guys who could all be on the ball club at some point in 2024.

That would give them 2 top 100 guys and an MLB ready starter with 6 years of control. I kinda doubt that happens. But would be awesome.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Is his value eroding because he is giving good reasons to think he won't be a strong player?

His value is eroding because of his age.  No different than Joey Ortiz with the Orioles, either you find a spot for these guys or trade them.  A 27 year old AAA prospect is worth less than a 26 year vs. a 25 year old and so on.

• Quin changed the title to Glasnow traded to Dodgers