Why Sox need a Soxfest...

Lip Man 1

42 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Interesting column:

Thanks for posting. I think this is a regular rut that Reinsdorf falls into with this team. Late 90's, I always imagined that Reinsdorf, Ron Schueler and Terry Bevington would sit on a conference call and b**** about ungrateful Sox fans. None of them ever seemed happy, motivated, or eager to mix it up with the hoi polloi. 

5 hours ago, Highland said:

The Sox have never been good with the PR thing. Someone usually says the wrong thing or offends the fan base in some way. Regardless, I had a booth in the vendors area there some years ago, and vowed I would never return.

They were when Rob Gallas was head of marketing. Created the iconic uniforms, Sox Fest in 1992, and many of the game day events still around today include Dog Night. He left in 2004. The Sox need a quality hire in this role again, likely won’t happen until Jerry is gone.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They were when Rob Gallas was head of marketing. Created the iconic uniforms, Sox Fest in 1992, and many of the game day events still around today include Dog Night. He left in 2004. The Sox need a quality hire in this role again, likely won’t happen until Jerry is gone.

His son was working for the Hickory Crawdads back in the mid 90's in media relations.  Nice guy.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I respectfully disagree, my interactions with Gallas and from what I was told by others was that he was taciturn, gruff and insulted people and businesses left and right. He fit right in with JR.

As far as the iconic uniforms that was the doing of Jeff Torborg who told me of a conversation he directly had with JR about them. 

He said he told JR the only team that could wear the iconic "Dodger-script" style uniforms (a la 1986-1990) were the Dodgers themselves and the Sox had to change.

Jeff said JR told him, "Well I designed those..." It was an awkward moment to say the least.

But Torborg convinced him the pin stripe uniform and the Old English Sox logo on the front were identified by the fan base from the good days (1951-1963) so the change was finally made.

Edited by Lip Man 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I disagree, my interactions with Gallas and from what I was told by others was that he was taciturn, gruff and insulted people and businesses left and right. He fit right in with JR.

As far as the iconic uniforms that was the doing of Jeff Torborg who told me of a conversation he directly had with JR about them. 

He said he told JR the only team that could wear the iconic "Dodger-script" style uniforms (a la 1986-1990) were the Dodgers themselves and the Sox had to change.

Jeff said JR told him, "Well I designed those..." It was an awkward moment to say the least.

But Torborg convinced him the pin stripe uniform and the Old English Sox logo on the front were identified by the fan base from the good days (1951-1963) so the change was finally made.

The Cardinals were the other team that really fit perfectly with that Dodgers/Cardinals 50's and 60's style script jerseys across the front...

Changing the hat logo and color scheme was one of the few things the Sox actually did better than almost anyone in the sport.

26 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I disagree, my interactions with Gallas and from what I was told by others was that he was taciturn, gruff and insulted people and businesses left and right. He fit right in with JR.

Perhaps you didn't have the greatest experience with him, but the point stands that all the positive changes I noted took place under his charge.

Meanwhile, what, if anything has his replacement done besides piss off beloved broadcasters like Hawk, Farmer and Jason, organists, cancelled all season ticket holder events, killed SoxFest and a massive corrupt ticket selling empire?

Still riding Gallas' creations, a few of which like Elvis night who people under 50 can't even recall Rob would have cancelled by now. The fucking disgusting puke inducing 1983 uniforms keep returning year after year after year. Gallas killed them, Boyer brought them back from the dead.

46 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I respectfully disagree, my interactions with Gallas and from what I was told by others was that he was taciturn, gruff and insulted people and businesses left and right. He fit right in with JR.

Just because he wasn't nice to you and others doesn't mean he wasn't good at his job. His job wasn't to be nice to people. Neither is Reinsdorf's.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

Just because he wasn't nice to you and others doesn't mean he wasn't good at his job. His job wasn't to be nice to people. Neither is Reinsdorf's.

All I can tell you, is others have told me, including those in the organization, that his attitude actually drove away businesses interested in the Sox.  And given that the Sox are a public trust and rely a lot on fan interest and businesses it's a strange response from you saying that those in charge shouldn't be "nice."

I'd think especially for someone like Gallas, who's job was public and media relations to a great extent, that one of the requirements would be to be personable and professional. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Perhaps you didn't have the greatest experience with him, but the point stands that all the positive changes I noted took place under his charge.

Meanwhile, what, if anything has his replacement done besides piss off beloved broadcasters like Hawk, Farmer and Jason, organists, cancelled all season ticket holder events, killed SoxFest and a massive corrupt ticket selling empire?

Still riding Gallas' creations, a few of which like Elvis night who people under 50 can't even recall Rob would have cancelled by now. The fucking disgusting puke inducing 1983 uniforms keep returning year after year after year. Gallas killed them, Boyer brought them back from the dead.

I'm not comparing anyone to him you are... one can make the case that all of the individuals being discussed have major flaws and issues which are hurting the organization. But given the organization itself, that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody should it? 

37 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

All I can tell you, is others have told me, including those in the organization, that his attitude actually drove away businesses interested in the Sox.  And given that the Sox are a public trust and rely a lot on fan interest and businesses it's a strange response from you saying that those in charge shouldn't be "nice."

I'd think especially for someone like Gallas, who's job was public and media relations to a great extent, that one of the requirements would be to be personable and professional. 

The vast majority of fans do not care if the owner is nice to the media and people around them. They only care about winning. They will find problems with the owner if they aren't winning and will overlook them if they are. 

How many fans actually interact with owners? It really isn't relevant. 

The media care and will spin it by how they are treated but not fans. 

Many people inside the White Sox organization love working for Reinsdorf as he is very loyal and takes care of them. I know people here think that a detriment for the management of the team but not for the everyday people in the organization. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm not comparing anyone to him you are... one can make the case that all of the individuals being discussed have major flaws and issues which are hurting the organization. But given the organization itself, that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody should it? 

It might not affect the fans directly like it would advertisers and sponsors...but it certainly spills over to the broadcasting side like we're seeing with all the fallout over Benetti.

I can see that Monaco must be getting cold feet because of the team being so terrible AND they must be making low-ball offers.

Have known many broadcasters like my former college dorm-mate who lost his job with the Astros (Brett Dolan) because the teams were so bad it eventually led to wholesale changes in the organization...and the broadcasters associated with that poor product on the field are often the first to go.

Bob Grim seemingly has/had a much better reputation than either Brooks or Gallas, fwiw...being in that kind of "in between" liaison role that needs to be a bit more independent.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It might not affect the fans directly like it would advertisers and sponsors...but it certainly spills over to the broadcasting side like we're seeing with all the fallout over Benetti.

I can see that Monaco must be getting cold feet because of the team being so terrible AND they must be making low-ball offers.

Have known many broadcasters like my former college dorm-mate who lost his job with the Astros (Brett Dolan) because the teams were so bad it eventually led to wholesale changes in the organization...and the broadcasters associated with that poor product on the field are often the first to go.

Bob Grim seemingly has/had a much better reputation than either Brooks or Gallas, fwiw...being in that kind of "in between" liaison role that needs to be a bit more independent.

Bob certainly did a very good job in his role for 30 years, he retired two years ago. He was also a high school and college basketball ref in the off season.

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

Many people inside the White Sox organization love working for Reinsdorf as he is very loyal and takes care of them. I know people here think that a detriment for the management of the team but not for the everyday people in the organization. 

That loyalty is a one way street and is not universal. Unless you are a protected Jerry crony who can do as they please, the person(s) you report to can make your job great or miserable like most jobs in life.

Jason Benetti loved the White Sox. Jason Benetti loved the broadcast crew. Jason Benetti hated working under Brooks Boyer and the conditions he endured. Jason hated it so much he left the city and team he loved for a lower prestige job because unlike here, he felt respected personally and professionally by the Tigers Organization.

And that's beyond the statements which leaked regarding Boyer's interactions, and Boyer's own ludicrous public statements such as Senior Corporate Officers (EVP Williams, SVP Hahn, SVP Boyer) do not have legal representation during contract negotiations. Therefore you Jason Benetti, a staff employee with zero direct reports, should also have zero legal representation despite the fact it is common throughout the industry *.

Implied / understood *: Because we are the White Sox and do not adhere to any professional industry standards.

18 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That loyalty is a one way street and is not universal. Unless you are a protected Jerry crony who can do as they please, the person(s) you report to can make your job great or miserable like most jobs in life.

Jason Benetti loved the White Sox. Jason Benetti loved the broadcast crew. Jason Benetti hated working under Brooks Boyer and the conditions he endured. Jason hated it so much he left the city and team he loved for a lower prestige job because unlike here, he felt respected personally and professionally by the Tigers Organization.

And that's beyond the statements which leaked regarding Boyer's interactions, and Boyer's own ludicrous public statements such as Senior Corporate Officers (EVP Williams, SVP Hahn, SVP Boyer) do not have legal representation during contract negotiations. Therefore you Jason Benetti, a staff employee with zero direct reports, should also have zero legal representation despite the fact it is common throughout the industry *.

Implied / understood *: Because we are the White Sox and do not adhere to any professional industry standards.

How could also broadcasting talent like Benetti...looking at the complicated situation he was trying to negotiate with NCAAFB and NCAABB NOT think it would be a good idea to have legal representation, if for no other reason than to keep it from getting too personalized a situation, which is 100% exactly what transpired???

• Thanks 1

Tales of SoxFest of lore…..

7,500 Sox Fans (2000-2001 Offseason)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2001-02-04-0102040371-story.html

• "We paid a high price to get David Wells," Williams told Sox fans. "Aces don't come cheap. It comes down to ultimately what you have to do to get to the next level, and for us, that's the championship level.”
  • "Don't look at his body," Harold Baines said of Wells. "Look at what he does on the mound."
  • Asked what David Wells might be able to teach him this year, Kip Wells responded, "He'll probably show me how to down some beers."
  • Manager Jerry Manuel announced Jim Parque will start the home opener against Detroit on April 6 at Comiskey Park “That will bring all the `brawl thing' back," Manuel said, referring to Parque's igniting of the Sox-Tigers brawl last April. "That will be a good little thing. That'll bring people to the park."
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So... I just got an email from the Sox. I am still a 20-game season ticket holder and I have been invited to a "Winter with the White Sox" - a season ticket holder party being held January 26, which happens to be the same weekend Soxfest is typically held. No other details were given as to what it actually entails.

Makes sense to at least do something for the ticket buyers. Anybody who buys a season ticket for this team deserves free admission and a free hot dog and coke at a winter party.