Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The afternoon Sun-Times newsletter question of the day is what will it take for Chicagoans to agree to help pay for a new stadium?

I'll be curious to read the reply's Wednesday. 

This might be one issue that unites all Chicagoans - our common hatred of JR.

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Pritzker is going to take a meeting with the Sox ownership group and significantly soften his stance if not totally turn it around.

Yup. Can see it coming 1000 miles away. Already went from "No public funding for private businesses" to "Only if the investment yields long term return for the taxpayers"

Goalposts already moving. Next will be something like "After this meeting the latest proposal seems like it can be a win win for all parties involved, blah blah blah, insert political doubletalk"

5 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Yup. Can see it coming 1000 miles away. Already went from "No public funding for private businesses" to "Only if the investment yields long term return for the taxpayers"

Goalposts already moving. Next will be something like "After this meeting the latest proposal seems like it can be a win win for all parties involved, blah blah blah, insert political doubletalk"

Ridiculous

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

In the words of the late great George Carlin - "It's a big club and you ain't in it" Jerry and J.B are both in that club. 

Ok. Well then according to you Reinsdorf is getting what he wants and his new ballpark because the governor is also a billionaire. Didn’t know that’s how it works. Thanks for enlightening us. Congratulations Jerry on your new ballpark. 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well, that could either 1) highly complicate things or 2) ensure that both teams at least GET something, because it's going to be very unpopular to turn down both?  

How would they decide which team should get what percentage of benefit/subsidy though?   Does it matter that the Bears did this 20 years ago versus the White Sox closer to 35 years ago?  

What about the existing bonds/debt attached to the Bears' project vs. Sox liabilities?  Will that also be taken into consideration?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/editorials/2024/02/27/gov-pritzkers-reluctance-to-fund-jerry-reinsdorfs-field-of-dreams-is-the-right-call

The White Sox continue to paper the town with pretty renderings of their proposed taxpayer-funded new stadium — along with vague promises of the community benefits the ballpark is supposed to bring — so it's good to see Gov. J.B. Pritzker express at least some initial skepticism over the plan.

So as Reinsdorf makes his rounds of public officials, we agree with Pritzker reminding the billionaire sports franchise owner that Illinois has bigger fish to fry than helping figure out how to pay for a ballpark, and that funding for the stadium isn't just there for taking.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’ve never seen a fan base that seems so happy at the thought of the team possibly moving out of the state.  It’s so bizarre.

Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone is "happy" but I think most are convinced (and I'm one of them) that JR's threat is pure unadulterated bullshit. 

Again just my opinion but I'm willing to call his bluff at this time.

We are years away from the situation becoming critical so we'll see how it plays out.

But I can't blame the fans, JR has the unadulterated gall to not be willing (at least yet) to pay one thin dime and then has the audacity just last week to blame the fan base for his incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness. 

He is a smart guy and I can't think he honestly believes the BS his spouts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone is "happy" but I think most are convinced (and I'm one of them) that JR's threat is pure unadulterated bullshit. 

Again just my opinion but I'm willing to call his bluff at this time.

We are years away from the situation becoming critical so we'll see how it plays out.

But I can't blame the fans, JR has the unadulterated gall to not be willing (at least yet) to pay one thin dime and then has the audacity just last week to blame the fan base for his incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness. 

He is a smart guy and I can't think he honestly believes the BS his spouts.  

The sad thing is I agree with him that the franchise needs to move away from 35th.  It has a horrible reputation for so many people in the suburbs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve never seen a fan base that seems so happy at the thought of the team possibly moving out of the state.  It’s so bizarre.

Jerry Reinsdorf has worked super hard to make sure people have this reaction. He’s been threatening to move the team literally my whole life, and I’m not supposed to get tired of the threat?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jerry Reinsdorf has worked super hard to make sure people have this reaction. He’s been threatening to move the team literally my whole life, and I’m not supposed to get tired of the threat?

We all hate Jerry, no doubt.  He’s a pathetic owner.  With that said, I don’t hate him enough to want the Sox to leave.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, fathom said:

The sad thing is I agree with him that the franchise needs to move away from 35th.  It has a horrible reputation for so many people in the suburbs.

I can't help but wonder  if the South Loop stadium doesn't happen. Will  one of the suburbs try to build a stadium for the White Sox.?  Rosemont wanted to build a stadium for the Cubs. I know that the Mayor of Rosemont is a White Sox fan and I know enough about Rosemont  to know that  they would build a stadium without alot of  trouble.

9 hours ago, fathom said:

I've long thought the Chicago suburbs are one of the most untapped fertile sports grounds in this country. All of our 'local' professional teams are deep in the city, which makes going to a game a large ordeal for most suburban fans. Particularly during the week. This all screams Arlington Park to me. The land is big enough for 2 stadiums, plus all the hotels, restaurants, bars, parking, etc. They can get the state to pitch in for infrastructure of one location. There's already a metra station there...

These daily straw man posts are laughable. 

The vast majority of folks opposed to this, be it Sox fans like myself, or the 90% + of the state who don’t give a rats ass about The MLB or White Sox, don’t care whether the stadium and team is controlled by Jerry, Michael, Old Man Potter, George Bailey, Mellody Hobson or Jesus H. Christ. 

What the vast majority of us care about is the future of our city and state. Our families are planning on living here far longer than Jerry or the MLB are even a thing. If there is any “deal” to be had, it is accomplished thoughtfully and equitably.

What we fear, oppose and are trying to stop before it’s too late are the myriad of bad decisions driven by Jerry and politicians last time being replicated once again. Many of these bad choices were demanded by Jerry, and ultimately harmful to his “Chicacago” White Sox.

A thoughtful infrastructure plan with significant organizational stadium funding could gain wide support. This “I demand everything including all future tax revenue and will only pay for development we plan on keeping or my son will sell to someone who will leave” is complete and utter bullshit. It’s has no broad support beyond desperate Sox fans who think this money will flow to the on field team (few if any dollars will).

Also don’t give a rats ass about the feelings of White Flight suburbanites when it comes to attending White Sox games. The two most noted acts of criminal violence at Comiskey Park II, the fat flab gun shooter and criminal Ligue family, neither sentenced to even a second in jail, were criminals who slithered in from the suburbs. There is less crime in Bridgeport than there is in Wrigleyville or 2024 Downtown. Pearl clutching suburbanites are as safe or safer driving to and from 35th and Shields than they will be trying to trek down to Clark and Roosevelt.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1