Caribbean series preview...

Lip Man 1

Didn't realize Ozzie was managing one of the teams and led them to their regular season championship:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-caribbean-series-teams-and-preview

"Guillén also joined Earl Weaver, Tommy Lasorda and Terry Francona as managers who have captured winter league titles and at least one World Series championship."

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

This is a lot more interesting in terms of format and make up of teams than the MLB contrived WBC, which seems to cause more issues than it's worth.

It's a shame Cuba and Columbia aren't able to participate, not sure if one or both governments are responsible for Cuba's exclusion.

Tickets are affordable, and fans can by a country pack to follow their favorite national team(s). ESPN Deportes & ESPN + is carrying the games, and also Miami's MLB broadcast partner (Bally's). Hope MLB.com hosts daily highlights, wish they showed a few over the air games on Univision or Telemundo.

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/ballpark/events/caribbean-series-2024

vwwlvdcxnsd3qpf9uq2b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This isn’t streaming anywhere else?

No.

You can either pay Disney for ESPN+, pay a cable or satellite provider for Spanish programming which includes ESPN Deportes, or stream online via some copyright infringing free website. 

This is how MLB promotes baseball in 2024.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/how-to-watch-2024-caribbean-baseball-series-live-online-without-cable/ar-BB1hCj7n

https://www.mlb.com/news/angel-padron-throws-no-hitter-for-venezuela-in-caribbean-series

Ozzie's Venezuelan team to semifinals.

Venezuela's manager, former MLB shortstop and manager Ozzie Guillen, managed two no-hitters in the Majors, and his pitching coach for Venezuela, Carlos Zambrano, threw a no-hitter for the Cubs against the Astros on Sept. 14, 2008.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Ozzie's boys don't quit? Congrats to him.

Wonder if he'll manage the Venezuela WBC team next go around?

Congrats Ozzie. I'll forever thank you for the 2005 title. I can't see us winning another one in thi$ day and age. So thank u again. Say what you want about Ozzie. He may have a big ego but he knows baseball. He just does. If some team was smart it'd take a chance signing him with a clause anything he says the owner deems excessive causes instant termination without pay. I would think he's learned his lesson and we know he knows baseball. Our organization has hired Robin, Pedro and LaRussa for gosh sakes.

• Hawk 1

57 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I know he's a pain in the butt, however Ozzie >>>>>>>> Pedro.

I think the odds of Grifol being here next year are super low.  I’ve speculated on this before, but I think Getz didn’t want to pursue a new manager yet because he knew the team would be garbage (with a ton of bad vets) and he had other areas to prioritize.  Sucks we have to endure him for another year, but it is kind of fitting as I view 2024 as a sort of bottoming-out type season for us.

Also, gun to head right now, I kind of feel like Grady Sizemore will be our next manager.

• Like 1

Despite his illustrious playing career, Sizemore accepted the humble role ($15/hour intern) with the Diamondbacks in 2023. His performance during this stint impressed Josh Barfield, the then-director of player development for the Diamondbacks. Barfield, who was a former teammate of Sizemore in Cleveland, was open to bringing Sizemore on board, even when the team had reached its head-count limit. His work with the Diamondbacks marked the beginning of his transition to a coaching role, with strong indications of his readiness to advance in this new direction.

From the Diamondbacks to the White Sox

Barfield moved to the Chicago White Sox as assistant general manager after leaving the Diamondbacks. He played a significant role in hiring Sizemore to join manager Pedro Grifol's coaching staff. In his new role, Sizemore will focus on coaching outfielders and baserunning, bringing his wealth of experience from his playing days to the next generation of athletes.

https://bnnbreaking.com/world/us/from-player-to-coach-grady-sizemores-journey-back-to-the-big-leagues/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1