March ******* (Basketball Thread)

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

https://www.bfvlaw.com/ncaa-trademarks-think-twice-before-advertising-march-madness/

6:00 PM Eastern Time - Men's brackets

March 19 - first games

Questions

What will Caitlin Clark's path be?

Houston, Connecticut, and Purdue look like locks for #1 seeds, who is the fourth?

Just hope that Iowa can make it back to the Final Four again.

In theory, the first really tough matchup will come outside the first two rounds...but they still lost at home to Creighton two years ago with an arguably better albeit less hyped team.

If they lose from that point onwards...it will be to a taller, more athletic and defensive-minded 4/5 team (the only loss outside the Big 10 was to KSU).  Here's where they might get a UConn although Huskies could end up a 2-3 seed potentially or for example a VA Tech with Kitley back.

Then you get to the Elite 8...maybe.

Obviously the fans would like to see LSU-Iowa or LSU-South Carolina again at that point in the proceedings.

Under no illusion they could win either a Final Four or championship game without the same type of once in a lifetime game/(and refereeing) similar to last year.

Iowa men suck (NIT bound) and Oklahoma is pretty near the cut line for the bubble.  Porter Moser has been a slight disappointment...although they were more competitive for the majority of this season than expected.

Finally, hope Iowa State can finally put together a really strong NCAA run for once...just for the sake of the state itself.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Illini got a bad round of 32 matchup again. BYU is ranked 16th on Kenpom and 17th by BPI. They're much more a high 5 seed than a 6. The gap between them and the other 6 seeds is pretty large. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

Didn't really believe they were ever going to give Iowa State a one seed.

Oklahoma started out eight spots from the cut line on Friday and TCU loss/5-9 finish to the season doomed their bid despite being in Top 25 for about 2/3rds of the season.

Four bid stealers doomed their efforts.  Didn't see a single projection with them out, though.

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Oklahoma and Seton Hall make the tournament any other year. 

UVA as well because of the program's "name" without that last second collapse to NC State, who ended up at 11 despite beating UNC, a 1 seed.

Iowa is going to have a tough draw for Clark's final rodeo...WV/Princeton, then KSU (already lost to them this year before Lee got hurt)/Colorado winner (beat them in NCAA's last year, would have been a #1 seed a month or so ago but nosedived), then if they make it that far, likely against the winner of LSU/UCLA (the dreaded Reese/Clark match-up #2 if everything holds to form, which wouldn't be a surprise despite LSU's slightly disappointing season overall coming off a title and adding two big transfer stars.)

On the opposite side of the bracket from South Carolina, at least.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

UVA as well because of the program's "name" without that last second collapse to NC State, who ended up at 11 despite beating UNC, a 1 seed.

Iowa is going to have a tough draw for Clark's final rodeo...WV/Princeton, then KSU (already lost to them this year before Lee got hurt)/Colorado winner (beat them in NCAA's last year, would have been a #1 seed a month or so ago but nosedived), then if they make it that far, likely against the winner of LSU/UCLA (the dreaded Reese/Clark match-up #2 if everything holds to form, which wouldn't be a surprise despite LSU's slightly disappointing season overall coming off a title and adding two big transfer stars.)

On the opposite side of the bracket from South Carolina, at least.

The Women's Draw was a complete debacle. https://thespun.com/college-hoops/ncaa-selection-committee-accused-of-screwing-over-iowa

Iowa was screwed in their bracket, with eight Top 24 teams loaded on their side, whereas the other brackets have five (South Carolina and Southern California) or six (Stanford).

Potential Hardest 1 Seed Roads to the Final Four:

• (1) South Carolina (Two Top 11 Teams): Beat the 10th and 11th best teams.
  • (2) Iowa (Three Top 15 teams): Beat the 12th (Princeton in second round), 15th (K State Sweet 16) and 5th best (UCLA) teams.
  • (3) Southern California (One Top 3 Team): 3rd ranked UCONN, also screwed with a 3 seed.
  • (4) Texas (Two Top 13 Teams):  Underseeded 4th ranked 2 seed Stanford and possibly 13th ranked Gonzaga,

Women's RPI though Sunday:   http://realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketball_rpi.html

Top 24 RPI Ranked Teams by Bracket

• Caitlin Clark Bracket: 1 Iowa (2); 2 UCLA (5); 9 Princeton (12); 7 Creighton (14); 4 Kansas State (15); 3 L. S. U (18); 5 Colorado (19); 10 UNLV (24)
  • Californication Bracket: 3 UCONN (3); 1 Southern California (6); 2 thee Ohio State University (9); 10 Richmond (17); 7 Duke (22)
  • South Carolina Top Overall Seed: 1 South Carolina (1); 4 IU (10); 3 Oregon State (11); 2 Fucking Notre Dame (16); 5 Oklahoma (21)
  • Stanford Bracket: 2 Stanford (4); 1 Texas (7); 3 North Carolina State (8); 4 Gonzaga (13); 6 Tennessee (20); 7 Iowa State (23)

I'll watch the Women's if I can find it until Caitlin is out. Could give a rats ass about the Men's tournaments (NCAA, NIT, CBI, College Insider, et al). I hope the Women's Tournament has higher ratings than the World Series for another year as it did last year.

Caitlin Clark's Hawkeyes vs. LSU drew 9.9M viewers last year.

Manfred's piece of metal series drew 9.082M viewers last yearThis World Series was the least-watched World Series in television history.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Women's Draw was a complete debacle. https://thespun.com/college-hoops/ncaa-selection-committee-accused-of-screwing-over-iowa

Iowa was screwed in their bracket, with eight Top 24 teams loaded on their side, whereas the other brackets have five (South Carolina and Southern California) or six (Stanford).

• (2) Iowa (Three Top 15 teams): Beat the 12th (Princeton in second round), 15th (K State Sweet 16) and 5th best (UCLA) teams.
  • (3) Southern California (One Top 3 Team): 3rd ranked UCONN, also screwed with a 3 seed.
  • (4) Texas (Two Top 13 Teams):  Underseeded 4th ranked 2 seed Stanford and possibly 13th ranked Gonzaga,

Women's RPI though Sunday:   http://realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketball_rpi.html

• Caitlin Clark Bracket: 1 Iowa (2); 2 UCLA (5); 9 Princeton (12); 7 Creighton (14); 4 Kansas State (15); 3 L. S. U (18); 5 Colorado (19); 10 UNLV (24)
  • Californication Bracket: 3 UCONN (3); 1 Southern California (6); 2 thee Ohio State University (9); 10 Richmond (17); 7 Duke (22)
  • South Carolina Top Overall Seed: 1 South Carolina (1); 4 IU (10); 3 Oregon State (11); 2 Fucking Notre Dame (16); 5 Oklahoma (21)
  • Stanford Bracket: 2 Stanford (4); 1 Texas (7); 3 North Carolina State (8); 4 Gonzaga (13); 6 Tennessee (20); 7 Iowa State (23)

I'll watch the Women's if I can find it until Caitlin is out. Could give a rats ass about the Men's tournaments (NCAA, NIT, CBI, College Insider, et al). I hope the Women's Tournament has higher ratings than the World Series for another year as it did last year.

Manfred's piece of metal series drew 9.082M viewers last yearThis World Series was the least-watched World Series in television history.

It's like they're messing with Iowa.

They've already split with K-State...playing a team three times in one season is never easy.

Could potentially end up with in-state rival Drake if they somehow beat Colorado and KSU.  That's unlikely.

LSU and Reese/Mulkey again.

Then you have Princeton underseeded as well if they can get past WVU and into the second round...thankfully that would be at home.  But Chen is a really tough guard matchup.

Finally Creighton in the same group...knocked them out of the tourney two years ago with an Iowa transfer playing a key role in that big upset at CHA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/march-madness-what-the-ncaa-womens-tournament-selection-committee-got-right-and-wrong-020446625.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Do you actually type all that out? Damn, all that formatting. 

My alma mater is back in the tournament which causes a love/hate relationship for me. I love being able to watch them play in the big dance....I hate that I usually end up thinking with my heart instead of my head and have them going too far in my pool. Not that it matters too much....my bracket will probably look like a bloodbath after Friday with all the red ink.

8 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Why the asterisks? Does Soxtalk blur out the word “madness” or something?

Edit: Nope. So is “madness” one of those unacceptable words now?

Forget it, he's rolling.

So I tried something different this year.  Instead of picking individual games, I kind of packaged up some groups of games to see if I could turn an overall profit.  I took each of the top 10 most likely upsets at to win odds.  I also did the same for all of the 2 seeds.  If one of the 2's gets upset, it pays off for at least 2:1  I think I need 2 to 3 of the decent upsets to pay off for all 10.

• Haha 2

On 3/17/2024 at 5:28 PM, chw42 said:

Illini got a bad round of 32 matchup again. BYU is ranked 16th on Kenpom and 17th by BPI. They're much more a high 5 seed than a 6. The gap between them and the other 6 seeds is pretty large. 

I know its my fault, but if BYU loses in the first round im blaming you.

2 hours ago, T R U said:

I know its my fault, but if BYU loses in the first round im blaming you.

I'm glad they lost. Illinois now gets one of the easier round of 32 matchups. If we can't make it to the Sweet 16 this year with these matchups, Underwood needs to resign. 

7 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Why the asterisks? Does Soxtalk blur out the word “madness” or something?

Edit: Nope. So is “madness” one of those unacceptable words now?

The link was to an article about the NCAA aggressively protecting it's trademark. Much like the NFL protects their "big game". 

• Thanks 1

This year (or maybe it was last season) was the first time the NCAA even allowed the women to dare utilize the term.  Might have something to do with the exploding ratings and corporations that have learned the value of targeting female consumers specifically, but I could be wrong, haha.

Now it's prominently featured on a special series of basketball cards featuring Clark and other well-known female players.

Two #6 upsets already and it doesn't feel like it even matters with UConn a heavy but somewhat unexciting favorite.

KY and Purdue losing in their first round or two would be equally expected.  Really, the NBA and not UK should actually be paying Calipari to develop its players...but not in combinations that end up with significant tourney success for the university.

Finally, has anyone watched a Gonzaga game all year?  Would be ironic if they made a run when nobody was expecting it.  Nemhard is pretty much the only name I can even remember from past teams.

Edited by caulfield12

John Calipari signed his latest contract with the Kentucky Wildcats ahead of the 2019-20 season. The deal runs through the 2028-29 season and will see him earn $8.5 million in 2024-25 before his salary rises to $9 million per year over the final four years of the deal.

Also, don't forget 2019-20/20-21 when evaluating his recent performance/s.  Just 6-5 from 2018 through today in the NCAA's.

2023 SEC East 6
2022 SEC East 2
2019 SEC Midwest 2
2018 SEC South 5
Edited by caulfield12