Chasing Records

3 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

If you're a true fan, it's never entertaining to watch your team lose.  We may boycott the stadium and JR but to wish for the Sox to lose the most games in MLB history, is what I would call a traitor or a Cub fan.....take your pick.

You forgot the third option of doing whatever the hell you want to do as a fan, but thanks for sharing your rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

If you're a true fan, it's never entertaining to watch your team lose.  We may boycott the stadium and JR but to wish for the Sox to lose the most games in MLB history, is what I would call a traitor or a Cub fan.....take your pick.

Were fans of arguably the worst franchise in MLB history all things considered. Been around since 1901 and have made the playoffs 11 times. I am OK with them losing to such an embarrassing point it forces changes to be made.

We just saw this happen last season when the front office guys with seemingly lifetime contracts were finally let go because of the 100 loss campaign. You think they were getting fired if this team was 81-81? No shot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snopek said:

You had years of data showing that these guys are injury prone and still went the Hahn route of having no legitimate backup plan for when they inevitably got hurt again. Cool stuff.

And Chris Getz was hired because it wouldn't take him a year to turn this ship around - he even talked smack about the rest of the division - so nah, blaming Rick Hahn for Dominic Fletcher being the outfield version of Madrigal, Martin Maldonado being Yaz, Shewmake making the roster over Mendick, cutting Pillar is all on Getz.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Snopek said:

You forgot the third option of doing whatever the hell you want to do as a fan, but thanks for sharing your rules.

That and some people feel that true embarrassment might force actual change, and not just a new stooge running the organization in basically the same way as the last one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If you are going to suck you may as well suck historically in my opinion. Maybe total complete embarrassment is the only way short of new ownership to get anything to significantly change.

It may not do a damn bit of good but winning 60-65-70 games isn't going to do squat either is it?

Let's agree to disagree then.

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

Were fans of arguably the worst franchise in MLB history all things considered. Been around since 1901 and have made the playoffs 11 times. I am OK with them losing to such an embarrassing point it forces changes to be made.

We just saw this happen last season when the front office guys with seemingly lifetime contracts were finally let go because of the 100 loss campaign. You think they were getting fired if this team was 81-81? No shot.

KW was retiring anyway and if he let KW go JR had to let Hahn go, it was just a PR move to get JR some attention so he could pretend like he really cares about winning.  If he really cared he wouldn't have hired a GM and manager with zero experience.  Remember when he said hiring Getz was the fastest way to turn this around....well how did that work out for us?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Snopek said:

They weren't rules and I also mentioned boycotting the stadium and JR, but I'll stand by my statement that I don't want them to end up with the worst record in MLB history.  It makes no sense since it's not going to get JR to change his ways, that won't happen until he's no longer the owner.  But if you want more misery just so you can complain about it on Sox Talk than have it your way.  I hope you don't enjoy yourself too much because the last 4 games against the division leading Cleveland was fun to watch until Sunday.

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

KW was retiring anyway and if he let KW go JR had to let Hahn go, it was just a PR move to get JR some attention so he could pretend like he really cares about winning.  If he really cared he wouldn't have hired a GM and manager with zero experience.  Remember when he said hiring Getz was the fastest way to turn this around....well how did that work out for us?

I agree, I don't believe him at all that he cares about truly winning and the Getz in house hiring just proved to me that it's still the same s%*# different year.

However, I do believe that no one likes to be embarrassed so the quicker this team craters out and Pedro is fired and eventually we move on from Getz by JR's hand or the next one the better this franchise will be.

I really don't like my favorite baseball team being trash. Nobody here should be campaigning to keep guys like Fedde and Crochet and Robert so we can get a handful of extra wins out of a miserable season. The goal should be sustained success and cashing in on these guys now is how you get the chance to reach that goal.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, T R U said:

I agree, I don't believe him at all that he cares about truly winning and the Getz in house hiring just proved to me that it's still the same s%*# different year.

However, I do believe that no one likes to be embarrassed so the quicker this team craters out and Pedro is fired and eventually we move on from Getz by JR's hand or the next one the better this franchise will be.

I really don't like my favorite baseball team being trash. Nobody here should be campaigning to keep guys like Fedde and Crochet and Robert so we can get a handful of extra wins out of a miserable season. The goal should be sustained success and cashing in on these guys now is how you get the chance to reach that goal.

JR had plenty of opportunity to feel embarrassed over the the last 35 years and not much has changed with the way he runs the Sox.  If they crater and the fans stay away (like I have last year and this year) after dropping my 20 game plan then JR will just use that as his excuse to move the team.  Just like he's going to use an excuse when the state doesn't pony up for a new stadium.  He's clawing his way out of the city so he can move to Nashville, and as Hawk would say "you can put it on the board"

Edited by A-Train to 35th
cap.

3 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

JR had plenty of opportunity to feel embarrassed over the the last 35 years and not much has changed with the way he runs the Sox.  If they crater and the fans stay away (like I have last year and this year) after dropping my 20 game plan then JR will just use that as his excuse to move the team.  Just like he's going to use an excuse when the state doesn't pony up for a new stadium.  He's clawing his way out of the city so he can move to Nashville, and as Hawk would say "you can put it on the board"

Ive been a fan. as far as I can remember, for about 32 years or so now. Ive never known the White Sox to be as worthless as they have been for the last 12 years minus 2021, the fruit of our rebuild, which abruptly ended after one 93 win season.

My lasting memories of the Sox is they were good for 83 to 88 wins and generally offered an enjoyable viewing experience most seasons. What has been going on for the past decade has been just total s%*#.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

They aren't going anywhere. Not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow. 😆 You can put THAT on the board.  

The reasons have been stated time and time again but in case you missed it, MLB isn't going to move a club out of the 3rd biggest market in the country for a much smaller one PLUS the expansion fee generated by giving the Nashville franchise to Dave Stewart and minority ownership not only makes MLB look good but the fee is going to be millions and millions (maybe even a billion) of dollars into the pockets of the other owners.

They aren't going to turn that down to make JR happy. Not for a second. 

3 hours ago, T R U said:

Ive been a fan. as far as I can remember, for about 32 years or so now. Ive never known the White Sox to be as worthless as they have been for the last 12 years minus 2021, the fruit of our rebuild, which abruptly ended after one 93 win season.

My lasting memories of the Sox is they were good for 83 to 88 wins and generally offered an enjoyable viewing experience most seasons. What has been going on for the past decade has been just total s%*#.

Actually they have been one of the worst franchises in baseball since the start of the 2007 season. 

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Actually they have been one of the worst franchises in baseball since the start of the 2007 season. 

There were some decent seasons 2008-2012. 2013 through today though, embarrassing. 

The 2008 season was fun. I almost went to game 2 of the ALDS in Tampa. I was living in Japan at the time and was 24 years old - my friend in Tampa had an extra ticket that he said he'd give me for free if I could find my way there for the game.

By the time my PTO was approved, flights had gone wayyyy up, so I couldn't afford to go anymore.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They aren't going anywhere. Not yesterday, not today and not tomorrow. 😆 You can put THAT on the board.  

The reasons have been stated time and time again but in case you missed it, MLB isn't going to move a club out of the 3rd biggest market in the country for a much smaller one PLUS the expansion fee generated by giving the Nashville franchise to Dave Stewart and minority ownership not only makes MLB look good but the fee is going to be millions and millions (maybe even a billion) of dollars into the pockets of the other owners.

Not to mention all of the Nashville talk was on behalf of an expansion franchise that TLR is a part of, and literally nothing to do with the White Sox.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yes, I've heard the reasons from you over and over, but time will tell, you certainly can't predict the future.  If you believe you can, let me know the winning lottery numbers tomorrow.  

20 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yes, I've heard the reasons from you over and over, but time will tell, you certainly can't predict the future.  If you believe you can, let me know the winning lottery numbers tomorrow.  

It's been stated actually by many others especially the part about the expansion fees which I completely forgot about.

But feel free to keep sounding the siren of doom for the franchise. 😆 That is certainly your right.

Here's the bottom line, it's really simply, the day JR no longer owns the franchise things IMMEDIATELY get better, it is hard to imagine ANY ownership group which gets the team doing worse. And my personal opinion based on what I've been told is that the odds are a corporation will own the Sox next and not a single entity because of how much they'll have to pay. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's been stated actually by many others especially the part about the expansion fees which I completely forgot about.

But feel free to keep sounding the siren of doom for the franchise. 😆 That is certainly your right.

Here's the bottom line, it's really simply, the day JR no longer owns the franchise things IMMEDIATELY get better, it is hard to imagine ANY ownership group which gets the team doing worse. And my personal opinion based on what I've been told is that the odds are a corporation will own the Sox next and not a single entity because of how much they'll have to pay. 

I hope your right, I really do!  Thanks for the inside information.

add

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

How does a corporation owning the Sox make things better?  Literally their fiduciary duty is to shareholders first and screw everyone else... sound familiar?

I still get the feeling that taking on a new large minority owner is pretty telling of who the next majority owner will be, as why else would they be buying in at that volume without a plan to purchase more?

Posted (edited)

BTW.......Earlier in December 2021, the A's had submitted a bid to acquire the Tropicana site and redevelop it into a ballpark prior to the Bally's acquisition. MLB, in reaction to the A's interest in Nevada, decided to remove a relocation fee for the team in the event that they move to Las Vegas.

Never say never, when it comes to the Sox relocating based on an expansion or relocating fee.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

How does a corporation owning the Sox make things better?  Literally their fiduciary duty is to shareholders first and screw everyone else... sound familiar?

I still get the feeling that taking on a new large minority owner is pretty telling of who the next majority owner will be, as why else would they be buying in at that volume without a plan to purchase more?

In general terms because they are not Jerry Reinsdorf and (at least in theory) they will have much more financial resources available to use. Now granted, that doesn't mean they will use them but they'd have a lot of reasons to do so to make their investment even more profitable for said shareholders. 

And can you be a little more specific on who this new large minority owner is? I've seen on this board speculation about a Mellody Hobson yet she isn't listed at all in the 2024 Sox Media Guide, she is not listed as a minority owner nor on the Board of Directors. Researching her it does say she is part of a group that bought the Denver Broncos but that's all I can find sports-wise, no mention of anything to do with the White Sox.

Is there some other individual you are referring to?  

Edited by Lip Man 1

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In general terms because they are not Jerry Reinsdorf and (at least in theory) they will have much more financial resources available to use. Now granted, that doesn't mean they will use them but they'd have a lot of reasons to do so to make their investment even more profitable for said shareholders. 

And can you be a little more specific on who this new large minority owner is? I've seen on this board speculation about a Mellody Hobson yet she isn't listed at all in the 2024 Sox Media Guide, she is not listed as a minority owner nor on the Board of Directors. Researching her it does say she is part of a group that bought the Denver Broncos but that's all I can find sports-wise, no mention of anything to do with the White Sox.

https://www.soxtalk.com/forums/topic/111780-do-the-white-sox-have-new-minority-ownership/

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's been written about many times, but a typical baseball franchise is at its most profitability by having a minimal payroll and sitting back to collect all of the TV money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

She isn't listed on the BoD because no one has been added to the White Sox BoD in over 40 years. Once someone dies, the Board shrinks. Whether she is a part owner of the White Sox, I agree, none of us really know.