"It's going to take time"

1 minute ago, T R U said:

This is the sad reality.

Unless they spend big money on actual quality free agents and we hit on a lot of these prospects that are getting close, there is no scenario where this team is in a competitive window while Luis Robert is still under contract.

Even if the unlikely happens and this team is competitive again in 2026, Luis Robert will almost surely be a big part of that reason and he will then be knocking on the FA door of a massive contract that we certainly wont be paying.

My ideal scenario is he comes back healthy this season, finishes strong, and then is traded in the off-season for the best package you can get. Worst case, by the deadline next season.

Taking a deeper look at our roster and our prospects, I can't picture who our OF will even be in two years.  Our top guys are a long way away in Zavala and Wolkow, and both of them are high bust types of candidates, as well as high ceiling.  Then you get into Brooks Baldwin, DeLoach, Veras and Burke.  You can count Fletcher if you like, but he looks like a low level starter at best.  IF looks a bit better with guys like Ramos and Colson nearing Chicago, and Quero behind the plate, but they well could be 25 to 26 arrivals outside of Monty.  Pitching looks a lot better, but the Sox need a HUGE infusion of offense from outside of the organization in the next few years if they want to be a playoff team, and I can't squint and see it with the failures of ILoy and Yoan.

4 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

In all likelihood absolutely nothing.

Pittsburgh has been floundering since 1979.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Sox still floundering in 2035, thirty years after their last World Series.

In the late 80s early 90s when they had VanSlyke, Bonds, and Bonilla, they were pretty good.  Since then I agree they have floundered, but those teams were competitive.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't see a realistic scenario where we can get enough talent to the majors in 4 years to help Luis Robert be on a playoff team unless we trade Luis Robert to a playoff team soon and clean up.

The Sox are in the beginning phases of an Oriole type depression (see their records from 2017-2021). They are at a  minimum 4 years away from realistically being relevant again. Once Robert is healthy and smashing again- you have to entertain phone calls. 

23 hours ago, Timmy U said:

In the late 80s early 90s when they had VanSlyke, Bonds, and Bonilla, they were pretty good.  Since then I agree they have floundered, but those teams were competitive.

Yep, they were in the playoffs. Still remember Bonds not being able to throw out Bream at home on winning playoff play vs Braves.

On 4/22/2024 at 12:31 PM, JoeC said:

A lot of us know that 4-5 years of unwatchable baseball are in our future, regardless of intent by the front office, unless JR dies or sells.

Even if he sells it's four or five years of sub .500 baseball. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Even if he sells it's four or five years of sub .500 baseball. 

Maybe. If we get a reckless owner who doesn't give two craps about profit and is willing to intelligently spend through his / her teeth and above their means, I wouldn't rule out a quicker turnaround.

All we need is a new publicly financed stadium, get rid of TLR, Williams, and Hahn, get rid of Pedro and Getz, get rid of their replacements, and probably the replacements after that, and we will be gold.  

Just now, JoeC said:

Maybe. If we get a reckless owner who doesn't give two craps about profit and is willing to intelligently spend through his / her teeth and above their means, I wouldn't rule out a quicker turnaround.

How many players do you think they have on the current roster that could be part of a playoff team? Five? Ten? Now sign 15 or 20 above average free agents to compete in the next couple years. You need at least four starting pitchers and a closer, someone to catch them. I don't think you can pull that off in two to three years even with reckless spending. 

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How many players do you think they have on the current roster that could be part of a playoff team? Five? Ten? Now sign 15 or 20 above average free agents to compete in the next couple years. You need at least four starting pitchers and a closer, someone to catch them. I don't think you can pull that off in two to three years even with reckless spending. 

Intelligent reckless spending is the key.

It's hard... it's challenging... but with some of the younger "core" (if you want to call it that) coming up like Montgomery, Ramos, Zavala, C Edgar Quero, Nastrini, Schultz, etc., it's not 100% outside of the realm of possibility to hit a few metaphorical home runs.

Edited by JoeC
His name is Quero... not Quintero.