Column on Schriffen...

37 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I stopped listening to the SCORE and ESPN "Talking Heads" years ago.  They just look to put people down regardless if it's a caller, player, or team.  Some comments are legit, however they are still annoying as hell.  Bernstein, Speigel, Parkins, Harry, Silvy, Waddle take your pick, no thanks not me.

Sure they all suck, but the stupid meatballish callers sure make it easy to clown them.

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

While none of this is a "big deal" and will be forgotten quickly, I don't disagree with the premise of the article at all. 

The team is currently 6-25 and we know the history of this franchise and the laundry list of gripes we all have about Jerry. Calling anyone "haters" of this franchise is a stretch, for obvious reasons. 

But fine, whatever...it doesn't become a story if when both radio stations reached out to have Schriffen on the air to talk about the call, he goes on. But instead he decided to run away. That's a horseshit move. You want to puff your chest and respond to the "haters" but when asked to clarify...no thank you? He could have used it as an opportunity to defend the White Sox, or at the very least tell people who he was directing that at, there are a bunch of ways he could have made a potential interview a win for him and create a more personal connection with fans given he has only called about 30 games with the team...but instead he decided to run and hide. 

Great post.  I think it’s pretty obvious that he said it while “in the moment” and immediately felt stupid for saying it considering where the Sox are, which is why he dodged the interviews.  However, the saddest part is that he seems to be parroting what our fan-hating owner would say.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Speaking of Sully (who is a Sox fan by the way, I've known him for years) he has an interesting look back at Harry's days with the Sox vis a vis the recent announcer controversy:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/05/02/chicago-white-sox-harry-caray-legacy/

Seems kinda odd that a Sox fan would have mostly Cubs pictures on his X account, but I'll take your word for it. 

Edited by A-Train to 35th
deleted long link
  • Haha 1

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

Seems kinda odd that a Sox fan would have mostly Cubs pictures on his X account, but I'll take your word for it. 

We've talked about games he's gone to as a kid. His family were all Sox fans. He told me about the Sox players he liked growing up among other things.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure they all suck, but the stupid meatballish callers sure make it easy to clown them.

My version of what's hell.....having to listen to Silvy, Waddle, and Harry non-stop 24-7.  That whiny voice of Silvy is like nails on a chalkboard.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

We've talked about games he's gone to as a kid. His family were all Sox fans. He told me about the Sox players he liked growing up among other things.

He grew up in Hegewish which is White Sox country, somewhere along the line his compass pointed him North and ever since he favors the Cubs.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He covers both the Cubs and White Sox, according to his Tribune profile:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/author/paul-sullivan/

Perhaps you should read the post, I never said he didn't cover the Sox.  Here's my quote...."I cancelled the Tribune because of Paul Sullivan's pieces on the Sox"

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I thought the call was cringey as hell, but raises concerns and writing a whole column about it is so much cringier and raises more concerns about Jeff Agrest than it does about Schriffen.

If I was 12 again and hawk did it I'd have loved it so I won't call it cringe just because I'm a cynical adult at this point in my life lol

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony said:

While none of this is a "big deal" and will be forgotten quickly, I don't disagree with the premise of the article at all. 

The team is currently 6-25 and we know the history of this franchise and the laundry list of gripes we all have about Jerry. Calling anyone "haters" of this franchise is a stretch, for obvious reasons. 

But fine, whatever...it doesn't become a story if when both radio stations reached out to have Schriffen on the air to talk about the call, he goes on. But instead he decided to run away. That's a horseshit move. You want to puff your chest and respond to the "haters" but when asked to clarify...no thank you? He could have used it as an opportunity to defend the White Sox, or at the very least tell people who he was directing that at, there are a bunch of ways he could have made a potential interview a win for him and create a more personal connection with fans given he has only called about 30 games with the team...but instead he decided to run and hide. 

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to explain my career or moments to the losers on sports radio. 

The media clique slams anyone that doesn't give them access. He didn't owe them anything. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Please don’t ever make a dumpster fire post like that again with years of someone’s Twitter timeline.  Jesus it took like 20 swipes to scroll past on a mobile device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

21 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Perhaps you should read the post, I never said he didn't cover the Sox.  Here's my quote...."I cancelled the Tribune because of Paul Sullivan's pieces on the Sox"

What did you not like about his pieces on the Sox?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to explain my career or moments to the losers on sports radio. 

The media clique slams anyone that doesn't give them access. He didn't owe them anything. 

1. Then you're an idiot, because going on sports radio for an 8 minute segment, then getting a check for one million dollars seems like fairly sweet deal.

2. I also don't agree with your second point, at least the part about the "media clique" I think it's an absolutely fair question to ask the "voice of the White Sox" what he meant, or who he was referring to when he referred to "the haters." Now, you are correct that he doesn't owe ESPN 1000 or 670 The Score anything. He doesn't. But as we all know, words and actions have consequences. It's the entire free speech argument. If Schriffren decided on tonight's broadcast, he was going to verbally dress down Jerry, saying "I think he's a terrible owner, the fans deserve better, he has been a stain on this city for decades and it's time for him to sell the team..." he wouldn't be thrown in prison, but you bet your ass he'd be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Words have consequences, and when your job literally requires a microphone and your words are broadcast to millions of people, there are responsibilities that come with that. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. Then you're an idiot, because going on sports radio for an 8 minute segment, then getting a check for one million dollars seems like fairly sweet deal.

To each their own. Some people would gladly take that cash. Others would rather not, and they shouldn't be judged for that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

He grew up in Hegewish which is White Sox country, somewhere along the line his compass pointed him North and ever since he favors the Cubs.

That is your opinion of course which you are entitled to. 

23 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That is your opinion of course which you are entitled to. 

Thanks, but it just strikes me as odd that a lifelong Sox fan has posted more about the Cubs than the Sox on X.  Also strikes me as odd that when the Tribune put out a book on the Sox 2005 Championship season not a single article was included by the beloved Sox fan Paul Sullivan. Hmmmmmm kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

3 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Thanks, but it just strikes me as odd that a lifelong Sox fan has posted more about the Cubs than the Sox on X.  Also strikes me as odd that when the Tribune put out a book on the Sox 2005 Championship season not a single article was included by the beloved Sox fan Paul Sullivan. Hmmmmmm kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

He's a reporter whose job it is to sell papers.  Not only are there a lot more Cub fans, Cub fans are more dollar dedicated to their team, and they are actually good meaning there is a much bigger market for their crap than another article about how bad the Sox are, but in a totally different way than the last one.  It isn't that deep.  It's selling to an audience.  You give them what sells.

• Like 1

I think those who were most sensitive to the word "haters" in the context of a WSox walk off win can now take their tin foil hats off.

Look, I don't discount criticisms of this team, just those that appear to be redundant, unnecessarily sarcastic, or downright mean...or some that come from the usual suspects, cub fans and yes, haters.

I am among those who have called for Grifol to be fired and have been critical of players like Benninendi, Vaughn and Maldanado. I do not agree with how Kopech has been deployed in certain situations and certain on field managing, like sending Maldanado to try to beat a throw at the plate. All of that said, not enough has been said or done to motivate this team. It is too bad that the play-by-play announcer felt it necessary to light a fire at the risk of taking incoming, but he did.  As far as the suggestion that Schriff submit himself to on-air cross-examination to parse out what his true intentions were, give me a break. OK he is a "homer" like Hawk. Good.

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I think too much time is being spent on this thread about the announcer, sports columnist, and radio hosts.  This is Sox Talk not media appreciation day.

Sox appreciation day instead?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ew3otlkjt95lidn93hj

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tray said:

I think those who were most sensitive to the word "haters" in the context of a WSox walk off win can now take their tin foil hats off.

Look, I don't discount criticisms of this team, just those that appear to be redundant, unnecessarily sarcastic, or downright mean...or some that come from the usual suspects, cub fans and yes, haters.

I am among those who have called for Grifol to be fired and have been critical of players like Benninendi, Vaughn and Maldanado. I do not agree with how Kopech has been deployed in certain situations and certain on field managing, like sending Maldanado to try to beat a throw at the plate. All of that said, not enough has been said or done to motivate this team. It is too bad that the play-by-play announcer felt it necessary to light a fire at the risk of taking incoming, but he did.  As far as the suggestion that Schriff submit himself to on-air cross-examination to parse out what his true intentions were, give me a break. OK he is a "homer" like Hawk. Good.

You've been hating Vaughn since before he was drafted, so I think that means you're not a Sox fan.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1