White Sox acquire Corey Julks from HOU for RHP Luis Rodriguez, option to AAA, recall Dom Fletcher, Ortega DFA'd

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Tell me why any GM of a team where the Sox are at should ever be trading anyone for 28 year old players?  If Julks was in his early to mid-20’s, at least I could understand.

Ok.  I'll answer your question even though you didn't answer mine. 

A GM of a team would trade for a 28 year old player if he thinks he's more valuable to them than the player they are trading away.  In very rare instances, there is more to determining the value of a baseball player than how old they are.  There was like a statistical revolution in baseball a while back.  They have all sorts of ways to determine if how valuable a player is - birthday (most important, obviously), day of the week they were born,  which hospital they were born in, etc.   

Ok... your turn again...  Tell me why he shouldn't have been traded in addition to him being younger than the guy he was traded for. 

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Ok.  I'll answer your question even though you didn't answer mine. 

A GM of a team would trade for a 28 year old player if he thinks he's more valuable to them than the player they are trading away.  In very rare instances, there is more to determining the value of a baseball player than how old they are.  There was like a statistical revolution in baseball a while back.  They have all sorts of ways to determine if how valuable a player is - birthday (most important, obviously), day of the week they were born,  which hospital they were born in, etc.   

Ok... your turn again...  Tell me why he shouldn't have been traded in addition to him being younger than the guy he was traded for. 

That’s fine, but Getz should still be targeting younger players than Junks.  Even Fletcher was slightly too old to be a good target for this current Sox team.

I never once said anything about Luis Rodriguez.  Getz is valuing the wrong types of players considering where this rebuild is at.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You played this same game with Christian Mena already (trying to crap on him cuz Getz traded him away), and those posts now look very stupid considering Fletcher had to be sent down because he was so bad and he still didn’t even earn this latest call-up.

Ok, I will break my own rule, and answer your post this once. I guess the game I'm "playing" is trying to provide info without really throwing an opinion around. This is all Fangraphs has in their prospects section on Rodriguez.

You seem to have an entire conversation going on in your head that I'm not part of. Understanding what the GM might be trying to accomplish, and waiting before trashing a move - translates to fluffing, hyping, or actually being Chris Getz - to you. When I respond, you aggressively taunt and troll, to the point where I become part of the "you guys" that is being accused of ruining a thread with a petty argument. 

I don't want to participate in that, so As-salamu alaykum. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never once said anything about Luis Rodriguez.  Getz is valuing the wrong types of players considering where this rebuild is at.

haha 

So your analysis is even more surface level than I previously thought.  

I figured you were arguing "Luis Rodriguez shouldn't have been traded for Corey Julks because Julks is older and I'd rather have Rodriguez because he is younger"  when its actually "I don't want to acquire anyone unless they are early 20s no matter how little or insignificant the cost is"

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

A lot of hand waving over bottom of the roster churning. Fletcher getting recalled is the biggest move here.

I don't really care. Would rather just hold onto the younger guys that aren't even on the 40-man over guys like this.

Probable: Julks is DFA'd within 10 days and we never hear of Rodriguez ever again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

Who gives a f***?

Do you have actual opinions about Luis Rodriguez or are you just looking at their birthdays?

Yeah he’s a reliever at A ball that the south side sox had ranked as the 70th best prospect in the system. Dude was essentially organizational filler

• Like 2

Yawn. Really? If Getz traded a miscellaneous 28 year old for an equally miscellaneous 22 year old y'all would be cheering? 

It's just filling some holes for MiLB. Not worth making sexual assault jokes over.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Yawn. Really? If Getz traded a miscellaneous 28 year old for an equally miscellaneous 22 year old y'all would be cheering? 

It's just filling some holes for MiLB. Not with making sexual assault jokes. 

Some people just have no class. Hate to see it.

Do better @WestEddy

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We should sign 15 guys who can't legally drink from College of Dupage baseball team and package them for Ohtani + cash.

Hey, I'd rather they throw money at guys like that than try and sign toddlers out of South America.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How many times have we said this?

Death, taxes, Gavin Sheets in the outfield.

Haha. This is true but baby steps. We finally got Vaughn and Eloy out of the OF for good. Sheets is the final straw.

Chris Getz is really bad at his job so far.

Forget the names, who cares, but teams on a 100 loss trajectory do not need to be trading ANY 20 year olds with a pulse for 28 year old AAAA players. There isn't some warm body somewhere you could have signed for AAA depth?

This is what I am just so confused about. Why give away a 20 year old kid for someone who is more likely to be DFA'd this season than have any meaningful impact on this franchise. It makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris Getz was an awesome Farm Director.  He had a hand in bringing along future stars such as Jose Rodriguez and Luis Rodriguez.  Too bad he's the worst GM in the league and is getting rid of all this super elite talent.  

what the f lol

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If it gets Sheets out of the outfield once and for all it’s a huge WIN

Let’s get Sheets out of the lineup entirely.  His hot streak is OVA, to quote Hawk.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

It's probably safe to say that most of us knew little to nothing about either guy before today. It's also probably safe to say that this trade ends up being of no real significance on the field. 

That being said, for an organization that has stubbornly operated in a shortsighted manner for years and years, it should be pretty obvious why many aren't ready to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

We're all just desperate for inklings of evidence that there's a longer term plan in place. This move does not exactly help with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The trade is fine. Holy cow. Corey Julks is outfield depth for a bad team and Luis Rodriguez is nothing. Just pretend it was cash instead. Everything is okay. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't really care. Would rather just hold onto the younger guys that aren't even on the 40-man over guys like this.

Probable: Julks is DFA'd within 10 days and we never hear of Rodriguez ever again.

We'll hear of Rodriguez again. He'll put together a good 3 game sample size in A ball and We ll get an I told you so like we got when Matthew  Thompson had a small SS run with the Cubs AA team as evidence the Cubs MiL coaches were better  than the Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We'll hear of Rodriguez again. He'll put together a good 3 game sample size in A ball and We ll get an I told you so like we got when Matthew  Thompson had a small SS run with the Cubs AA team as evidence the Cubs MiL coaches were better  than the Sox.

ok

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The trade is fine. Holy cow. Corey Julks is outfield depth for a bad team and Luis Rodriguez is nothing. Just pretend it was cash instead. Everything is okay. 

Better be careful Jimmy  the tides of rebellion are rising against Getz sympathizers.

I'm seeing some McCarthyism 1950s vibes here.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It's probably safe to say that most of us knew little to nothing about either guy before today. It's also probably safe to say that this trade ends up being of no real significance on the field. 

That being said, for an organization that has stubbornly operated in a shortsighted manner for years and years, it should be pretty obvious why many aren't ready to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

We're all just desperate for inklings of evidence that there's a longer term plan in place. This move does not exactly help with that.

You're thought process is very sound.

The thinking is I suppose that we already know Julks is , OF depth on a bad team but people rather dream Rodriguez can be a  competent if not great MLB pitcher just because he's young and not fully developed yet.

You make those type of trades too often and you give away a Tatis, Jr. So, yes ,panic sets in about the process rather than the trade itself.

• Like 2