5/22 - 6:07pm - White Sox ( suck ) vs Toronto Maple Leafs

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Beni’s a grinder. You know at the end of the year he’s going to have the numbers. That was said.

I heard he’s finally getting the feeling back in his wrist.  The power will be coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

See my avatar.

So our great former Director of Player Development and current GM, whose entire offseason strategy was to acquire crappy defensive-minded veteran position players to give our prospects more time to develop in the minors and to also ease their transition to the majors, apparently has no clue when a prospect is actually ready for the majors.

Getz is no better than a little kid playing MLB The Show.  He is just starting the clock on all of these guys with zero rhyme or reason and simply hoping some of them succeed.

I'd say that Getz is the embodiment of the Peter Principle, but he sucked as a player, sucked as a director of player development and did nothing noteworthy as an Assistant GM.

He just basically got jobs due to ~vibes~

• Like 3

Just now, Quin said:

I'd say that Getz is the embodiment of the Peter Principle, but he sucked as a player, sucked as a director of player development and did nothing noteworthy as an Assistant GM.

Chris “Nepotism” Getz.

Do you want to have a challenging MLB job and try to build a winner, but still be judged by wins and losses?  Go to the majority of other MLB teams.

Or do you want to have a cushy gig and long-term security?  Stick with the Sox, kiss JR’s ring, and be a loyal servant for years.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Kids: Be a yes man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Chris “Nepotism” Getz.

Do you want to have a challenging MLB job and try to build a winner, but still be judged by wins and losses?  Go to the majority of other MLB teams.

Or do you want to have a cushy gig and long-term security?  Stick with the Sox, kiss JR’s ring, and be a loyal servant for years.

Who’s he related to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

Who’s he related to?

By definition, yeah that’s not accurate but I’m pretty sure he meant he’s from the white Sox “family”

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

Who’s he related to?

well in Japan, they have this concept of mukoyōshi where a wealthy businessman with no male heirs will adopt an adult male to take his surname, take over his business, and also marry to his daughter for some reason. It also happens in cases where all the male heirs are worthless (Michael, the other one).

Are we ruling out the possibility that Reinsdorf literally adopted Getz? Maybe in lieu of offering his daughter's hand in marriage, he gave him a job. there's your nepotism and a plausible explanation for how he got the job in the first place. 

oh look we lost 9-2. something tells me AA is gonna be the main show for a while. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Sox said:

Who’s he related to?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Was wondering the same thing, lol

45 minutes ago, T R U said:

By definition, yeah that’s not accurate but I’m pretty sure he meant he’s from the white Sox “family”

This is what I was thinking.  However, “nepotism” in the workplace doesn’t just have to be about family.  It could be about friends as well.

https://peoplespheres.com/nepotism-in-the-workplace-what-is-it-and-is-it-legal/#:~:text=Nepotism covers any personal relation,romantic relationships and intimate relationships.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/nepotism-workplace-friends-13206.html

IMG_0769.jpeg

• Like 1

I am fairly confident that Grifol has a job through the end of the season and, likely, at least into next season for a few month, but how bad does it have to get before even a person as stubbornly obtuse as Jerry has to make a change?  The guy is the anti-thesis of what you want for a rebuilding franchise.  He has zero feel for the game, no idea how to manage a pitching staff, continues to put out mind-numbing lineups, and appears to have completely lost the locker room.  That is a completely toxic environment for any young player to be trapped in for a full season.  The worst offense may be that he continues to throw young players under the bus for silly mistakes but then says Beni is a “pillar” in the lineup and he keeps throwing out a 37 year old catcher with a sub .300 ops that can’t frame, block, or throw, because he like the way he “puts the fingers down.”  I know the Sox have had a lot of bad managers, but Pedro is the worst manager that I can recall in all of MLB during my lifetime.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T R U said:

These guys are going to get killed against Baltimore

I can’t wait to see it. Shall be glorious.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I am fairly confident that Grifol has a job through the end of the season and, likely, at least into next season for a few month, but how bad does it have to get before even a person as stubbornly obtuse as Jerry has to make a change?  The guy is the anti-thesis of what you want for a rebuilding franchise.  He has zero feel for the game, no idea how to manage a pitching staff, continues to put out mind-numbing lineups, and appears to have completely lost the locker room.  That is a completely toxic environment for any young player to be trapped in for a full season.  The worst offense may be that he continues to throw young players under the bus for silly mistakes but then says Beni is a “pillar” in the lineup and he keeps throwing out a 37 year old catcher with a sub .300 ops that can’t frame, block, or throw, because he like the way he “puts the fingers down.”  I know the Sox have had a lot of bad managers, but Pedro is the worst manager that I can recall in all of MLB during my lifetime.

The only person that wants Pedro to keep his job is Terry Bevington. "I'm no longer the worst manager in White Sox history!!!"

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, hi8is said:

That makes zero fucking sense.

Fulmer (8), Collins (10), Madrigal (3), and Vaughn (4) were all top ten picks. Sale (13), Anderson (17), Burger (11), Crochet (11), Montgomery (22), Schultz (26), and Gonzalez (15) weren't. Rodon's the only top 10 they've hit on, recently. 

You're welcome for the knowledge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Fulmer (8), Collins (10), Madrigal (3), and Vaughn (4) were all top ten picks. Sale (13), Anderson (17), Burger (11), Crochet (11), Montgomery (22), Schultz (26), and Gonzalez (15) weren't. Rodon's the only top 10 they've hit on, recently. 

Your logic still makes zero fucking sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Connections to Dayton Moore through Royals/Braves

to Grifol through Royals, as well as Gene Watson and their contracts guy who came aboard with Sox

Connections to Hostetler (Braves, by extension through Moore)

to Hahn through Univ of Michigan ties

to Sox through his playing career, and also to Gordon Beckham, who seemingly has a pretty good chance of being the next radio or tv guy for the team

Connections to Branch Rickey through Jerry Reinsdorf's fantasy/dream world

11 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I actually think we do better out of the top ten. 

I get that their current best prospects were all drafted outside the top ten, but I can’t follow the logic that removing ten of the best players available from their draft board is somehow good for them.

• Thanks 5
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

So your argument is that Getz and Shirley should be glad they won't pick until #10 this year because of Madrigal, indicating that they are indeed the same old White Sox as the old regime and are making lateral changes with Getz.

Got it.