Jump to content

How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?


ron883
 Share

Recommended Posts

Previously a garbage player. Went over seas and completely reinvented himself. He's been awesome this year and really valuable. On pace for a 6 bWAR season. Has an additional year on his contract. Will teams have enough faith in him to trade some real talent for him?

What would you expect in a trade for him?

Edited by ron883
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Previously a garbage player. Went over seas and completely reinvented himself. He's been awesome this year and really valuable. On pace for a 6 bWAR season. Has an additional year on his contract. Will teams have enough faith in him to trade some real talent for him?

What would you expect in a trade for him?

If you don’t get two legit prospects (not top 25 or anything) plus a power arm who could play in pen or some other quality flyer (or international money or draft picks), you hold onto him and see if he can do it for rest of the year and deal him on offseason. 
 

Dude is dealing and is for real. Not Crochet good but he would be a great get for any team in July. 
 

Note: Fingers crossed these guys stay healthy and keep dealing / hitting (in case of DeJong and hopefully Robert).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Previously a garbage player. Went over seas and completely reinvented himself. He's been awesome this year and really valuable. On pace for a 6 bWAR season. Has an additional year on his contract. Will teams have enough faith in him to trade some real talent for him?

What would you expect in a trade for him?

@Y2Jimmy0 seems to think the Sox can get a top 100 pick +.

I tend to agree thinking plenty of teams will be making offers.

He pitched plenty of innings last year so going into the post season shouldn't be a concern with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

Previously a garbage player. Went over seas and completely reinvented himself. He's been awesome this year and really valuable. On pace for a 6 bWAR season. Has an additional year on his contract. Will teams have enough faith in him to trade some real talent for him?

What would you expect in a trade for him?

Also a pretty high former first round draft pick for Washington.

Who dominated last year in the KBO/Korea.

Worth roughly the same as Nick Martinez coming out of Korea then pitching pretty well in SD as a starter/swingman.

Basically has doubled his value now…see below.

 

“The Cincinnati Reds have reached an agreement with right-hander Nick Martinez in MLB free agency, per Jeff Passan of ESPN. “Right-hander Nick Martinez and the Cincinnati Reds ar in agreement on a two-year,$26 million contract that includes an opt-out after the first year, sources tell ESPN.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Fedde, Crochet and Thorpe is 3/5s of a a solid rotation. Move Kopech to starter and 4-5 starters are set. Just sayin ...

Still not 100% certain on Thorpe…let’s give him until the end of 2024 starting in the big leagues first.

https://www.milb.com/player/grant-taylor-691799

If this guy and Schultz hit their ceilings…they would really have something. IF IF IF.  Of course, he’s hurt now.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/grading-the-white-sox-top-prospects-this-season-no-13-grant-taylor/

 

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Sox can get a HAUL for Fedde in the trade deadline I would move him, otherwise keep him and see how the young guns like Cannon and Thorpe pitch the rest of the season.  

I would have no problem keeping Fedde, Robert jr, and Crochet and adding bats through free agent & trades in the off season.

A couple of 2025 projections:

catching: Lee & Quero

2nd base: Sosa, did he turn the corner? in the last 28 game he is hitting .348/.400/ .944

  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

If the Sox can get a HAUL for Fedde in the trade deadline I would move him, otherwise keep him and see how the young guns like Cannon and Thorpe pitch the rest of the season.  

I would have no problem keeping Fedde, Robert jr, and Crochet and adding bats through free agent & trades in the off season.

A couple of 2025 projections:

catching: Lee & Quero

2nd base: Sosa, did he turn the corner? in the last 28 game he is hitting .348/.400/ .944

We aren’t going to be competitive next year so Fedde is a 100% must move piece.  Someone is giving up a top 100 prospect for him and that’s far more valuable to us than 1 1/3 seasons of Fedde.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

Previously a garbage player. Went over seas and completely reinvented himself. He's been awesome this year and really valuable. On pace for a 6 bWAR season. Has an additional year on his contract. Will teams have enough faith in him to trade some real talent for him?

What would you expect in a trade for him?

You could've just bumped my thread from awhile back ron, but you do you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

If the Sox can get a HAUL for Fedde in the trade deadline I would move him, otherwise keep him and see how the young guns like Cannon and Thorpe pitch the rest of the season.  

I would have no problem keeping Fedde, Robert jr, and Crochet and adding bats through free agent & trades in the off season.

A couple of 2025 projections:

catching: Lee & Quero

2nd base: Sosa, did he turn the corner? in the last 28 game he is hitting .348/.400/ .944

Not until he does it for 2-3 consecutive months in the big leagues.

He's certainly not a 2B, but he might not even be athletic enough or have the arm for 3B, either.

The problem is if Montgomery moves to third as projected, you have to 1) acquire more infielders, or 2) Mongomery, Gonzalez and Ramos/Sosa all have to be 2-3 fWAR regulars at the big league level.  Might as well throw Baldwin into the mix too, although he still has a lot to prove after a white hot start to the AA season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getz deserves proper credit for the signing of Fedde, it was a very solid move. Now, they need to get the proper value out of him. I understand there is a group here that enjoys watching him pitch, but let’s keep in mind he’s pitching well for a team that is 19-53. He’s also 31. His value to helping the Sox actually win will be in the form of a trade, not what he does on the mound for the Sox. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Getz deserves proper credit for the signing of Fedde, it was a very solid move. Now, they need to get the proper value out of him. I understand there is a group here that enjoys watching him pitch, but let’s keep in mind he’s pitching well for a team that is 19-53. He’s also 31. His value to helping the Sox actually win will be in the form of a trade, not what he does on the mound for the Sox. 

Yup, plus we have a ton of arms that are nearly ready.  Crochet is a different situation given his age and talent.  Probably still need to move him at some point because Jerry is going to Jerry, but holding onto Fedde into next year would be absolute madness given how far away this team is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, plus we have a ton of arms that are nearly ready.  Crochet is a different situation given his age and talent.  Probably still need to move him at some point because Jerry is going to Jerry, but holding onto Fedde into next year would be absolute madness given how far away this team is.

I would argue that despite their age, Crochet and Robert are in the exact same situation. They're not winning anything until after they're free. A 25 win improvement still only gets the Sox to 90 losses, and that's WITH Crochet/Fedde/Robert on the team. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Falstaff said:

If the Sox can get a HAUL for Fedde in the trade deadline I would move him, otherwise keep him and see how the young guns like Cannon and Thorpe pitch the rest of the season.  

I would have no problem keeping Fedde, Robert jr, and Crochet and adding bats through free agent & trades in the off season.

A couple of 2025 projections:

catching: Lee & Quero

2nd base: Sosa, did he turn the corner? in the last 28 game he is hitting .348/.400/ .944

All of this right here. Stop moving the goalposts with rebuilding bullshit. That being said if you moved Fedde for an mlb ready prospect to fill a hole and had a rotation of say Crochet, Thorpe, Cannon....and maybe Eder, Iriarte, or Schultz next season thatd be fun to watch. Use money on some bats and a closer they'd compete. Their draft pick will also be very indicative of the route they choose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Falstaff said:

If the Sox can get a HAUL for Fedde in the trade deadline I would move him, otherwise keep him and see how the young guns like Cannon and Thorpe pitch the rest of the season.  

I would have no problem keeping Fedde, Robert jr, and Crochet and adding bats through free agent & trades in the off season.

A couple of 2025 projections:

catching: Lee & Quero

2nd base: Sosa, did he turn the corner? in the last 28 game he is hitting .348/.400/ .944

You realize Fedde is a free agent after next year and the Sox aren't going to be in the mix next season short of new ownership. The division has also improved overall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Getz deserves proper credit for the signing of Fedde, it was a very solid move. Now, they need to get the proper value out of him. I understand there is a group here that enjoys watching him pitch, but let’s keep in mind he’s pitching well for a team that is 19-53. He’s also 31. His value to helping the Sox actually win will be in the form of a trade, not what he does on the mound for the Sox. 

He has 1.5 years of control,  if someone is willing to give you a solid deal for him, drive him to Ohare.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

All of this right here. Stop moving the goalposts with rebuilding bullshit. That being said if you moved Fedde for an mlb ready prospect to fill a hole and had a rotation of say Crochet, Thorpe, Cannon....and maybe Eder, Iriarte, or Schultz next season thatd be fun to watch. Use money on some bats and a closer they'd compete. Their draft pick will also be very indicative of the route they choose.

The Sox need to make up 50 games to compete. 

50.

You could spend a billion dollars in free agency this winter and still not turn this dumpster fire into a .500 team.

And there is zero chance Jerry is willing to spend like that.

You keep feeding the line about spending money, but look at this free agent market and outline to me a realistic way to make up 50 games with this free agent class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox need to make up 50 games to compete. 

50.

You could spend a billion dollars in free agency this winter and still not turn this dumpster fire into a .500 team.

And there is zero chance Jerry is willing to spend like that.

You keep feeding the line about spending money, but look at this free agent market and outline to me a realistic way to make up 50 games with this free agent class.

In a perfect world, Getz would come out and acknowledge the fans and say this is a true rebuild with a goal competitive window beginning in 2027. The roster and farm system has way too many holes to address in one free agency cycle. And as you mentioned, Jerry not only hates to spend on difference making free agents (A-level talent) But the B-level guys that his front office typically signs usually end up sucking badly. I will never understand why they haven’t pivoted from this horrible approach yet?
Why not tank for 2 more seasons, load up on pre-arb/cheap and awesome talent via a true rebuild and sign the top 3 to 4 free agent superstars (A-level/blue chippers) when they become available between the years 2025-2027. No more mediocre joe signings. I would rather give opportunities to young prospects verses the expensive B/C type veteran who declines rapidly after they get paid. Allocate that $$ on the blue chippers. Also, don’t feel the pressure lock up the new core too soon this time. So much $$ wasted on underperforming talent you simply can’t count on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

In a perfect world, Getz would come out and acknowledge the fans and say this is a true rebuild with a goal competitive window beginning in 2027. The roster and farm system has way too many holes to address in one free agency cycle. And as you mentioned, Jerry not only hates to spend on difference making free agents (A-level talent) But the B-level guys that his front office typically signs usually end up sucking badly. I will never understand why they haven’t pivoted from this horrible approach yet?
Why not tank for 2 more seasons, load up on pre-arb/cheap and awesome talent via a true rebuild and sign the top 3 to 4 free agent superstars (A-level/blue chippers) when they become available between the years 2025-2027. No more mediocre joe signings. I would rather give opportunities to young prospects verses the expensive B/C type veteran who declines rapidly after they get paid. Allocate that $$ on the blue chippers. Also, don’t feel the pressure lock up the new core too soon this time. So much $$ wasted on underperforming talent you simply can’t count on. 

Welcome to what we’ve all been saying since about 2009.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox need to make up 50 games to compete. 

50.

You could spend a billion dollars in free agency this winter and still not turn this dumpster fire into a .500 team.

And there is zero chance Jerry is willing to spend like that.

You keep feeding the line about spending money, but look at this free agent market and outline to me a realistic way to make up 50 games with this free agent class.

I have always felt the idea of quantifying an exact number of wins to make up based on a current record, player WAR, X number of acquisitions is very flawed. For instance, let's say this is a 50 win team. In my opinion, Grifol has probably lost this team around 10 or 12 games. That could be low but I absolutely believe that based on what I've watched. With a better manager maybe this team right here wins 60 or 62 games instead. 

Now let's say they have a closer. Not a great closer mind you, but just an actual closer and maybe setup man. I think they win an extra 8 or 10 games just right there. So now you're sitting at 70 wins. (Is this an exact science? No that's my point). But you add a bat that can hit you 30 hr via free agency, promote some talent that is ready (quero, schultz, maybe montgomery) and yes I think they can approach 80 wins at that point. It's not a billion dollars. This team is just absent basic necessities right now (closer, competent manager, a starting catcher not hitting .060). 

So sure. You can rationalize how I have here to "make up the appropriate win numbers" but I don't think a record is ever truly indicative of how good or bad a team can be next season because of all of the x factors I mentioned. And sorry, but I'd rather they field a team that can win 80 + games right away then bank on them fielding a consistent 90+ win team in 5 years. They will fail again to do the latter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I

Now let's say they have a closer. Not a great closer mind you, but just an actual closer and maybe setup man. I think they win an extra 8 or 10 games just right there.

 calm down hahn 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I have always felt the idea of quantifying an exact number of wins to make up based on a current record, player WAR, X number of acquisitions is very flawed. For instance, let's say this is a 50 win team. In my opinion, Grifol has probably lost this team around 10 or 12 games. That could be low but I absolutely believe that based on what I've watched. With a better manager maybe this team right here wins 60 or 62 games instead. 

Now let's say they have a closer. Not a great closer mind you, but just an actual closer and maybe setup man. I think they win an extra 8 or 10 games just right there. So now you're sitting at 70 wins. (Is this an exact science? No that's my point). But you add a bat that can hit you 30 hr via free agency, promote some talent that is ready (quero, schultz, maybe montgomery) and yes I think they can approach 80 wins at that point. It's not a billion dollars. This team is just absent basic necessities right now (closer, competent manager, a starting catcher not hitting .060). 

So sure. You can rationalize how I have here to "make up the appropriate win numbers" but I don't think a record is ever truly indicative of how good or bad a team can be next season because of all of the x factors I mentioned. And sorry, but I'd rather they field a team that can win 80 + games right away then bank on them fielding a consistent 90+ win team in 5 years. They will fail again to do the latter. 

See 2023 KC Royals with 106 losses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...