Gammons Proposes White Sox/Rockies deal

thomsonmi

Gammons lists six trades that he thinks make sense. One of them involves us...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1825878

"The White Sox trade outfielder Jeremy Reed and pitcher Jon Rauch to Colorado for pitchers Jason Jennings and Shawn Chacon."

This is interesting in a way. Both Jennings and Chacon have looked awful this year but both have also shown some great talent in the past. And, maybe, outside of Coors Field they would flourish. Chacon is a starter no matter what the Rockies think.

"The White Sox trade outfielder Jeremy Reed and pitcher Jon Rauch to Colorado for pitchers Jason Jennings and Shawn Chacon."

This is interesting in a way.  Both Jennings and Chacon have looked awful this year but both have also shown some great talent in the past.  And, maybe, outside of Coors Field they would flourish.  Chacon is a starter no matter what the Rockies think.

Nay to this trade. If Williams is looking to help this warry pitching staff by acquiring pitchers with ERA's of 8.38 (Chacon) and 6.75 (Jennings) he should resign immediately. I wouldn't even comprehend why Colorado would trade either pitcher for Rauch, who at best will be a Jennings clone. Its not as if Jennings $340,000 salary is a hamper on Colorado's payroll.

To properly extinguish any theory of Coors Field inflating pitching stats, both pitchers home/road slipts are strinkingly similar:

Jennings: Coors - 3-3, 6.75 ERA

Jennings: Away - 3-3, 6.75

Chacon: Coors - 0-1, 8.22 ERA

Chacon: Away - 0-4, 8.56

Chacon and Jennings would only temporarily patch up our holes. If KW should ever intend to trade Rauch and/or Reed, atleast persuade us (the fans) our "prospects" are worth more than a few Colorado scrubs. Where's our frontline starter Kenny? Or reliable relief pitcher?

I'm aware this "trade" is merely the brain-child of one Peter Gammons, but if he characterizes this proposal as fair, who's to say other GM's don't share his belief. The collective baseball world is wise to our troubles in the 5th starters spot.

Nay to this trade proposal. If Williams is looking to help this warry pitching staff by acquiring pitchers with ERA's of 8.38 (Chacon) and 6.75 (Jennings) he should resign immediately.  I wouldn't even comprehend why Colorado would trade either pitcher for Rauch, who at best will be a Jennings clone.  Its not as if Jennings $340,000 salary is a hamper on Colorado's payroll.

To properly extinguish any theory of Coors Field inflating pitching stats, both pitchers  home/road slipts are strinkingly similar:

Jennings: Coors - 3-3,  6.75 ERA

Jennings: Away - 3-3, 6.75

Chacon: Coors - 0-1, 8.22 ERA

Chacon: Away - 0-4, 8.56

These two pitchers would only temporarily patch up our holes. In the event KW has intentions of trading Rauch and/or Reed, atleast make us believe our "prospects" are worth more than a few Colorado scrubs. How about a proven, frontline starter? Or a reliable relief pitcher?

Yeah i agree with you, if kw made a trade involing these guys for reed and rauch he should resign. I would also have no faith in the orginization whatsoever.

Gammons lists six trades that he thinks make sense.  One of them involves us...

This is interesting in a way.  Both Jennings and Chacon have looked awful this year but both have also shown some great talent in the past.  And, maybe, outside of Coors Field they would flourish.  Chacon is a starter no matter what the Rockies think.

Under no circumstances should the Sox even consider trading Reed. Guys who can hit .400 in the minors are extremely rare and anyone who can do that has unusually high potential for greatness at the major league level.

I don't think the Rockies would make the trade either. But, don't use Chacon's stats from this year. He's been thrown into the bullpen as the team's closer because the Rockies are managed by a bunch of incompetent yu-hoos.

Look at last year, Chacon playing for a miserable team in a miserable park...

2003 Col 23 games 137 IP 124 H, 58 BB. 93 SO, 11 W 8 L 4.60 ERA

And, he's only 26.

It's not as bad a deal as you guys are making it out to be for the White Sox. And, unlike the silly rent-a-player ideas, these guys you can actually build around.

Jason Jennnings is only 25 and as you can see by visiting here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6785

he's had success already in the big leagues.

It won't happen but it's not that bad an idea.

I'd rather do something like this if we did do this trade: Michael Spidale and Enemencio Pacheco for Jennings and Chacon

However, I'd rather just not make this trade b/c hopefully Rauch will show us we don't need a 5th starter for now, and can wait to get a #3 at the deadline.

However, I'd rather just not make this trade b/c hopefully Rauch will show us we don't need a 5th starter anymore. :headbang

Regardless of how Rauch pitches Thur., Williams should still seek an additional starter outside our organization. Do you honestly feel confident in Big Jon for the remainder of the season? If he happens to strew across a few loses in a row it may be too late to for a trade.

I understand the redudancy in suggesting this team needs another starter, but if KW is intending on improving this team (without foresaking the farm) Sox need someone to fill the role of a #3. An ace will cost you too much, and the fifth starter is already occupied: Schoeneweis.

Gammons lists six trades that he thinks make sense.  One of them involves us...

If Kenny does that Deal he needs to be shot. EOS

Gammons sould be shot for Suggesting it :bang

Under no circumstances should the Sox even consider trading Reed.  Guys who can hit .400 in the minors are extremely rare and anyone who can do that has unusually high potential for greatness at the major league level.

First of all, Jeremy Reed hit .400 for a third of the season at Birmingham. He hit about .350 at High-A ball and about .310 at low-A ball. Not .400 for the entire season.

Secondly, he's hitting .270 with an OPS of .784. In no way should Jeremy Reed be untouchable. He's a good prospect, but he's nothing spectacular. If the right trade came up(for instance, Jason Schmidt), he's more then expendable. In fact, if Jason Schmidt somehow did become available, I could easily see a trade of 3-4 of our prospects for him.

First of all, Jeremy Reed hit .400 for a third of the season at Birmingham.  He hit about .350 at High-A ball and about .310 at low-A ball.  Not .400 for the entire season.

Secondly, he's hitting .270 with an OPS of .784.  In no way should Jeremy Reed be untouchable.  He's a good prospect, but he's nothing spectacular.  If the right trade came up(for instance, Jason Schmidt), he's more then expendable.  In fact, if Jason Schmidt somehow did become available, I could easily see a trade of 3-4 of our prospects for him.

I agree with ya. If we trade Reed, we get something big and someone with an Impact on our Team. Not Jennings or Chacon.

I wouldn't mind either, but as a smaller deal.

That is a terrible trade purposal. This is why Gammons is officially considered an idiot by the majority of people in the baseball world. As someone else pointed out, their home and away splits are almost identical, which suggests that Coors Field has absolutely nothing to do with their struggles. So why give up two of the Sox better prospects for 2 question marks? Like I have said many times, the Sox can't afford to settle for a veteran bottom of the rotation pitcher, they need a bonafide front of the rotation starter if they are serious about contending. As someone else mentioned, I would take a chance on that trade for Spidale and Pacheco(maybe a slightly better pitching prospect), but Jennings and Chacon have absolutely no trade value at this point, so giving up 2 top prospects for them is just plain stupid(like Gammons).

With that said, Gammons throws around some pretty interesting names.

Garcia - This sould be KW 1st choice. We can only hope that the M's go on a losing streak and decide to trade him.

Zito - I doubt that the A's trade him, but it is worth asking. He would look pretty good in a Sox uniform. The problem is that the A's are in contention and want a proven bat and bullpen arm. PS...does anyone else think that Oakland is getting riped off in that deal? I mean Zito is a 26 year old front of the rotation starter, Rhodes is a decent reliever off to a bad start, Wood and Johnson are decent prospects, and they throw in some cash to top it off. Teixeira is a good looking young hitter, but is a career .255 hitter in 711 career AB's(.242 this year), and Cordero is very good, but is no spring chicken at 29.

Urbina/Maroth - I like this combo much better than Rockies combo of Jennings/Chacon. Urbina is a proven reliver and Maroth is a pretty solid young pitcher who has put up respectable numbers.

Catalanotto - I have always liked this guy. He won't put up eye-poping stats, but he is a pure .300 hitter, which would mix in nicely with the current sluggers.

Nady - The Padres have always wanted to trade this guy, which is odd. He has boatloads of talent and would be worth taking a chance on. The problem is that the Padres want a starter and are in contention, so they want someone that is going to help them now