ESPN 1000 - Talk Baseball

striker

Last caller is a guy from the south side, unfortunately he is a Cub fan yapping about Kerry Wood.

And they're done.

Levine will be on from the winter meetings on Saturday between 10 and 2 CST.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Levine sucking Kerry Wood wang.

Southside "Cub fan" rips Wood for being overrated, yet he has to win more than 14 games. Dave Wills aggrees.

Levine is considering backing down from his position of Kerry Wood breaking Sosa's notorious boom-box. He'd rather remain friendly with the players than maintain his journalistic integrity. :headshake

Talking Baseball ends. Nothing important discussed, and as usual Cub fans fill the program with their bulls*** questions.

A free agent. Thats who. JR needs to open up his fricken wallet.

A free agent? So, as long as JR pays big bucks for 'someone' -- anyone -- that's what you want?

I'd rather Kenny look for a bargain, such as (if rumored correctly) Jaret Wright at four million or so -- more money to work with is a good thing, you know.

As for Maggs, I don't see what's the big deal. Why the hell should we pay him if Boras isn't even letting us check out his knee? He's had a very nice career here, oh well, time to let it go. He isn't worth 14 million, even when he was 100% healthy...

Ooohh ... Wills talking about Harris again.  Says he's heard stuff from other coaches and baseball people, saying Harris walks around like he's been in the big leagues for 15 years.  Says that Harris seems to have a big head.

Gee... where have I heard that before.. :ph34r:

:lol:

Gee... where have I heard that before..  :ph34r:

:lol:

I don't even have any connections and I could've told everyone that, lol. I wish I could remember which game it was this season, but Willie was up to bat in the 9th, tying run on 3rd, 2 down. This "rookie" who can barely hit his f***ing piddly weight, is up in the batter's box laughing with the game on the line. Hey ROOKIE, get your f***ing head in the game. I've had a distinct dislike for Harris since.

You copy and paste this information from Cheat's post? 

Just as members believe Minnesota's farm system is the league exception, so is the status of Terry Ryan.

During Minnesota's terrible stretch, Cleveland was dominating the division, in addition to the accepted notion Twins were rebuilding.  Meanwhile William's reign begun following the dismantling of Cleveland, and practically a paved road to the playoffs.

Compare Ryan's mid 90's debacle to Tampa Bay. Would their general manager (I have no idea who he is) be fired for poor finishes every season since their conception?  No, becaues they are in the same division as the Yanks/Boston.  Minnesota was rebuilding in the 90's, and their general manager made no mistake otherwise. No one was threatening Clevelands position atop the ALC. Perhaps their World Series championship several years earlier put less pressure on management.

We've failed to achieve a divisional championship since 2000, and seemingly the only guarantee with this club is a mediocre team.  It upsets me year in year out when Williams assembles a team he believes can compete for the division, and they continue to fall short.

:fyou I do recall Cheat mentioning it in an another thread, and I couldn't believe it until I did a background check on Ryan, and looked at Minnesota's records at baseball-reference.com. The facts are the facts.

Williams took over in 2001, the same year Cleveland won the division so I don't see how they were in a "dismantling" mode with a payroll of $91,974,979 and in 2002 they had a payroll of $78,909,448. They got off to a terrific start, but fell apart and traded Colon and by then Minnesota FINALLY got results after a 7 year rebuilding plan. The 2003 team was the first rebuilding year for the Indians with a payroll of $48,584,834 which didn't include Jim Thome.

I don't think you can compare the mid 90's AL Central to the 2000's AL East. Yes neither the Twins or D-Rays spent as much as the leader, but the 2000 Yankees and 2000 Red Sox payrolls blow away any of the payrolls of the White Sox or Indians in the mid-90's.

I didn't like KW until 2003 with the Colon trade. In 2003 he built a team for the World Series, not just to win the division, yet you can't get that through your head. Some "experts" called the Sox the best team in the AL, and KW felt that the 2003 team could've gone deep into the playoffs. Obviously he wasn't building a team that could only compete for the division.

In 2004 he was asked if any of his minor leaguers were "untouchable," and he replied with "1917." That sure doesn't sound like he's not trying to win a WS, and I imagine if KW was trying to build a team to only win the division, he would've replied with "2000."

I'd rather Kenny look for a bargain, such as (if rumored correctly) Jaret Wright at four million or so -- more money to work with is a good thing, you know.

Thats not a bargin, when he makes Todd Richie look like Noyan Ryan,when he was here then what?

ALso Gibbons is what this team needs too bad most people are so stuck on stats that don't really matter..

Gibbons in 03 and before had no one in the lineup to help out, Vladdy and Riods Bonds are probally the only 2 in the game that needs no help hitting, but the same people fail to realize it, they would rather throw out the BS stats.

Thats not a bargin, when he makes Todd Richie look like Noyan Ryan,when he was here then what?

ALso Gibbons is what this team needs too bad most people are so stuck on stats that don't really matter..

Gibbons in 03 and before had no one in the lineup to help out, Vladdy and Riods Bonds are probally the only 2 in the game that needs no help hitting, but the same people fail to realize it, they would rather throw out the BS stats.

:lolhitting

As far as Gibbons goes, when healthy he's a far more dynamic player then last years numbers indicate. I have no doubt in my mind he hits 25 homers with a .270 AVG next season if he's playing everyday. He's young, has mammoth power potential and has power to all parts of the field.

He's also a versatile player as he is a solid defensive outfielder and a good defensive first baseman. Plus at 2 mill he's gonna be a bargain. Think Ortiz type potential. Boston never thought he'd pan out quite like he did, but to me Gibbons has the same type of potential.

I'm not saying he's going to put up Ortiz type numbers, but he's got some tools.

As far as Gibbons goes, when healthy he's a far more dynamic player then last years numbers indicate.  I have no doubt in my mind he hits 25 homers with a .270 AVG next season if he's playing everyday.  He's young, has mammoth power potential and has power to all parts of the field.

He's also a versatile player as he is a solid defensive outfielder and a good defensive first baseman.  Plus at 2 mill he's gonna be a bargain. Think Ortiz type potential.  Boston never thought he'd pan out quite like he did, but to me Gibbons has the same type of potential.

I'm not saying he's going to put up Ortiz type numbers, but he's got some tools.

Of course everything could just be a product of him being on, the subsequently off, the juice.

Of course everything could just be a product of him being on, the subsequently off, the juice.

That could be true. One thing I always remember in regards to Gibbons is that he's extremely strong and can pretty much muscle a ball out of the park.

Hopefully it wasn't a cause of juicing, but I Think you bring up a potential problem in the whole steroid fiasco cause GM's could look at a guys down year for other reasons when in fact it was strictly steroid related.

KW was hosed cause Koch got off the juice when in Chicago and the Sox suffered from it.