Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in October, I got practically a mountain of random items from Walgreens, most of which had some sort of rebate for nearly/all of the cost of the item.

Yesterday, I got the rebate back in the mail, and they'd honored all of the rebates except one of them, $8 for a bottle of antacid that I would never have spent more than $2 or so on. The paper said I'd purchased the wrong size or variety or something like that.

So, this morning, I call up Walgreens' rebate office and ask about it, I explain the problem to the lady who picks up, she puts me on hold for 30 seconds, comes back, and says basically "Yes you should have gotten that rebate and it will be sent out to you in 7-10 days".

So, I don't have to resubmit a receipt, UPC code, tell them I have copies of anything, or even figure out what the supposed problem actualy was, I just call and suddenly they give it to me without a fight.

And at the end, I'm left wondering...is it pretty much standard practice for them to reject some finite portion of those rebate offers just on the assumption most people won't call in and ask about it? Otherwise, I can't figure out why they'd reject it the first time and then after 30 seconds on the phone discover that I actually did earn it.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
I just finished decorating the outside of my house for Christmas. Everything was fine until I got to the last strand of lights, and then a fuse blew. Now I have to re-wire everything. Humbug.

Happened to us also. Finally figured out it was the strand at the start of the connection and changing that fuse, breaking the length of the current, and running an additional extension cord to even the same outlet, just a different plug, solved the problem.

My oven died. Range still works, but the oven doesn't. Brain is going to call a repairman to see if it is worth fixing. If not, he will next call his buddy who is a manager at Best Buy to see if they have any slide-in gas stoves on sales or a deal going on delivery/installation.

The worst thing in the world -- the worst feeling besides heartbreak, I mean, whether it be romantic heartbreak or the break that comes when you've lost something you desperately wanted -- is when someone with authority over you hoardes it over and uses their position of power to abuse you or be rude to you and nasty.

Right now, I'm dealing with a situation like this at school. I'll get into it further when it's resolved later in the week but the whole damn thing is a pain. Nothing's worse than dishonesty, IMO, but especially so when someone lies in an effort to paint you a liar because they dislike you.

new firefox has been sketchy for me too. What kind of video card do you have? Ram?

in other news....

Joel Madden and Hilary Duff broke up...

I always suspected some awkwardness because I knew she was young and thought he was old, but i never did the research til now.

Madden March 11, 1979

Duff September 28, 1987

8 years. wow. they dated for 2.5 years.

she just turned 19....the math should be easy from there.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Ya, ready to put my computer in the snow bank outside.

I use FireFox. Updated to the most recent version. I would say 7/10 times, playing anything on Youtube makes the everything lock up, have to restart it. No Ctrl-Alt-Delete, have to restart.

Thought it might be Fox, so used IE. Did the same thing.

So what the hell? Windows Media always works fine, but it's the YouTube, DailyMotion type players.

Any Ideas???

See if you can update your flash players.

New York Football Giants.

Anybody else hate this? Does every lame sportscaster have to use this phrase now? The baseball team moved to San Francisco in 1957!!! Is anyone still confusing the New York Football Giants with the New York Baseball Giants?

And, oh by the way (another waayyy overused phrase on ESPN), the New York Football Giants play in NEW JERSEY!!! NEW JERSEY!!!! NEW JERSEY!!!

I hate you Chris Berman.

That is all.

Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
See if you can update your flash players.

I usually have ESPN's chat room open during the day in IE, and the last few days, it's been crashing IE on me as well (flash player problem). So it's not just you guys.

A local pet store let you bring in your pets and then they took pictures of it with Santa (all proceeds going to the local humane society shelter, where one of my cats is from). I took my very hyper and loving (and huge 77lb) dog in. She was TERRIFIED of Santa and kept trying to run away from him. It took like 5 minutes to get the picture. By the end there were like 10 people around just watching some people had gotten squeeker toys and were squeeking trying to get her to stop staring at Santa in fear and look at the camera. We finall got a picture of her trying to army crawl away while Santa looks warily at the camera trying to hold on to the humungous dog. At least she didn't look totally terrified in the final result. So much for her winning the cutest pet $250 gift basket. Dang.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Why the heck are you watching SNL? I didn't know people still watched that.

I got home from work at 10:30 and turned the TV on and NBC was the last channel I had on so it came on. No joke.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
A local pet store let you bring in your pets and then they took pictures of it with Santa (all proceeds going to the local humane society shelter, where one of my cats is from). I took my very hyper and loving (and huge 77lb) dog in. She was TERRIFIED of Santa and kept trying to run away from him. It took like 5 minutes to get the picture. By the end there were like 10 people around just watching some people had gotten squeeker toys and were squeeking trying to get her to stop staring at Santa in fear and look at the camera. We finall got a picture of her trying to army crawl away while Santa looks warily at the camera trying to hold on to the humungous dog. At least she didn't look totally terrified in the final result. So much for her winning the cutest pet $250 gift basket. Dang.

A picture is worth 1,000 words