White Sox @ Twins: 4/10/05 Game Thread

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more WSox news links of interest:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/101sd5.htm

DYK? Hunter is hitting just .250 with ONLY 1 HR vs Mark lifetime. Mark contends that in

a mid-Sep battle in the dome Hunter yelled "These &!@&% are done." Hunter denies ever saying that. Hunter in an interview this weekend jokingly implied he would take out AJP like he did Burke.

More on Silva: He's likely going to need surgery to repair the tear. That puts him out to July the earliest but Aug more likely. Really tough blow for the Twinkees. I now think the analysts are going to be moving towards the WSox as the favorite. Replacing Silva w a AAA arm can't inspire confidence.

Sensational southpaws face off in finale

Sensational southpaws face off in finale

White Sox (4-1) at Minnesota (2-3), 7:10 p.m. CT

When the White Sox were a healthy team at the start of 2004, they won six of their first seven games against the Twins at the Metrodome. That streak included a three-game sweep from June 29 to July 1, which gave the South Siders a two-game lead in the American League Central. Could history repeat itself on Sunday night?

Although the marquee matchup between Johan Santana and Mark Buehrle stands as just the sixth game of the regular season, the White Sox enter Sunday night's series finale with a chance to sweep the Twins. They would take a three-game lead over Minnesota and increase their win streak to five against the Twins, dating back to 2004.

The White Sox are already off to their best start through five games since they began 1991 with a 5-0 mark. Look for Pablo Ozuna to get the start in left Sunday night against the left-handed Santana, with either Scott Podsednik or Aaron Rowand getting the night off. Rowand is 6-for-20, with one home run and two RBIs against Santana.

But the big draw on Sunday mostly has to do with the two starting pitchers and not the ramifications within the Central or the White Sox's quick break to success in the season's first week.

"My country, it will be a big game for us," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who like Santana, hails from Venezuela. "It's Santana against Guillen, and I'm not even playing. It's going to be a quick game, a good game, with a couple of good pitchers. Hopefully, the one I have wins."

Pitching matchup

CWS: LHP Mark Buehrle

• 1-0, 0.00 ERA in 2005

• 3-3, 3.56 in 2004 vs. MIN

MIN: LHP Johan Santana

• 1-0, 7.20 ERA in 2005

• 2-2, 3.75 in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch

Carl Everett has four hits during the first two games of the series against the Twins, including two doubles and his first home run. Everett also has driven in five runs during the first two games. Although Everett is considered a more productive hitter from the left side, the switch-hitter is 4-for-8 hitting right-handed against Santana, with two RBIs.

Quotable

"It's not easy to come here and play. Those guys make a lot of contact. They know how to play here. They know how to play everywhere. Every inning is tough." -- Guillen on winning two straight over the Twins at the Metrodome.

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• MIN: WCCO

Quick hits

Through their first five games, White Sox starters are 3-0 with a 1.91 ERA and five quality starts. ... Jon Garland improved to 6-4 with a 3.56 ERA during 21 career appearances on turf. ... Paul Konerko is batting .389 (7-for-18) during his four-game hit streak. ... Everett has a career batting average of .405 (30-for-74) at the Metrodome. ... Joe Crede has two hits in his first 18 at-bats. ... Juan Uribe has started the season in a 2-for-17 funk. ... Shingo Takatsu picked up his second career save against Minnesota by striking out Matthew LeCroy. ... White Sox pitchers have issued one walk during the first two games of the Minnesota series. ... The White Sox are 2-0 on this six-game road trip and 4-1 against the American League Central. ... The White Sox are 8-4 under Ozzie Guillen at the Metrodome but have a 73-86 record there overall.

On deck

• Monday: at Cleveland, 2:05 p.m. CT

• Tuesday: Off day

• Wednesday: at Cleveland, 6:05 p.m. CT

• Thursday: at Cleveland, 6:05 p.m. CT

Looks like Pods should get the night off. He's a lefty, and Rowand has good numbers against Santana.

:bringit

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

MIN: LHP Johan Santana

• 1-0, 7.20 ERA in 2005

• 2-2, 3.75 in 2004 vs. CWS

Santana is not god

everywhere I look its "I wish we werent facing Santana"

I say bring it, and im sure our players are thinking the same.. lets f*** him up like Seattle did in the first inning.. :gosox1:

QUOTE(Be Good @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
Mute the TV and listen to the radio...

Problem with that is, the High Def. broadcast is several seconds (3 to 4) behind the actual broadcast. So, if I wanted to listen to the game on the radio, I'd hear Rooney and Farmer talking about a homerun ball in the seats, while I'd just be seeing the guy hitting homer.

And, if you've ever watched/listened to a game like that, it's annoying as hell.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Santana is not god

everywhere I look its "I wish we werent facing Santana"

I say bring it, and im sure our players are thinking the same.. lets f*** him up like Seattle did in the first inning..  :gosox1:

We got to santana last year at the beginning of the season in one game and the other we beat him in we scored on a 2 run homer in the first and didn't score the rest of the game. Santana is as good as there is in baseball. That being said Mark in so slouch, this is the game where we're going to most likely have to run to score some runs, I think the sox are capable of doing so but it ain't going to be easy.

This is the sox chance to get some national exposure and show espn.com that we're not the 22nd best team in the league (or whatever number that nonsense was).

Im rocking my buehrle jersey today.

Lets go

I hate to be such a downer, but I just think the Twins are going to win this one. They have Santana and we normally play bad on Sunday Nights. I also don't see them getting sweeped at home by us. If the Sox do lose tonight I will still be very happy with how they played this series.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
They better not have that fat piece of s*** Chris Berman doing the broadcast.  I can't stand that non-broadcasting tub of s***.

Anyone remember this...

You can put it on the board.....GONE!

:finger :gosox3:

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I hate to be such a downer, but I just think the Twins are going to win this one. They have Santana and we normally play bad on Sunday Nights. I also don't see them getting sweeped at home by us. If the Sox do lose tonight I will still be very happy with how they played this series.

that was last years team... this is a new year new team les not condemn them on how we performed last year.

We got to santana last year at the beginning of the season in one game and the other we beat him in we scored on a 2 run homer in the first and didn't score the rest of the game.  Santana is as good as there is in baseball.  That being said Mark in so slouch, this is the game where we're going to most likely have to run to score some runs, I think the sox are capable of doing so but it ain't going to be easy.

But that's like saying Radke is as good as he was in the 2nd half of 04 & he's clearly not.

Both these guys have a history of having weaker 1st 1/2s. In Santana's case is an mid-3 ERA in the 1st half & a mid-2 ERA in the 2nd. In Radke's case it's a mid-4 ERA in the 1st half & a mid-3 ERA in the 2nd. After there first start Mark looks better. It's important because during Santana's 14-2 run last yr he didn't have any starts as bad as he did in SEA this year. That tells me he's lost some of his Cy Young form & it might take him 1/2 a season to figure it out again.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
  That tells me he's lost some of his Cy Young form & it might take him 1/2 a season to figure it out again.

He had one bad stinkin inning and he's lost his cy young form, I don't think so. Now, I'm not saying Johan is going to be as good as he was last year because he was unhittable last year but for you to come to that conclusion after 1 bad inning is ridiculous.

He had one bad stinkin inning and he's lost his cy young form, I don't think so.  Now, I'm not saying Johan is going to be as good as he was last year because he was unhittable last year but for you to come to that conclusion after 1 bad inning is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? A Cy Young form implies the best in the league. Where is Santana's history that he's been able to keep that form more than 1/2 a season?

He's got more than enough starts under his belt now to determine if he's going to be consistently great or occasionally great. Pedro is another pitcher that comes to mind

that has yet to prove to any one he can be consistently great. I see Santana & I think of Pedro.

BTW did you look at his pc (93)? Kind of odd for a guy who gives up 4ER in the 1st

& then shutsout a team for the next 4 innings. Why not let him pitch another inning?

Could it be he ran out of gas? The score was 7-4 at the time. Not a typical situation were you would yank your starter after the 5th. He's not invulnerable & he may not be long lasting either.