Gameday! Seattle vs. ChiSox 4-15-05

Capn12

After a successful 4-2 road trip, our Sox head back to the friendly confines of Comsik--err, U.S. Cellular Field for 3 against the Mariners- fresh off a 3 game sweep of KC in KC, and 2 against our hated rival Twinkies.

A 3-2 or even better 4-1 homestand would be huge, seeing as how Minny has already caught us and are tied for 1st place.

Joel Pineiro:

Next Game: 4/15 vs. CHW  (Scheduled Next Start: 4/15 vs. CHW)  
               G GS W L SV CG SHO IP   H  R ER HR BB  K  ERA WHIP  BAA   
Career vs.CWS  7  4 1 1  0  0  0 27.1 23 12 12  3  9 21 3.95 1.17 .228

Jon Garland:

Next Game: 4/15 vs. SEA  (Scheduled Next Start: 4/15 vs. SEA)  
                 G GS W L SV CG SHO IP   H  R ER HR BB  K  ERA WHIP  BAA   
Career vs.SEA    8  7 4 1  0  0  0 43.2 36 17 13  3 20 25 2.68 1.28 .224  

Jonny G has had some nice success against the Mariners, lets hope it continues.

:gosox1:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game Notes:

M's-Sox a preview of the future?

Seattle (5-4) at White Sox (6-3), 7:05 p.m. CT

Having four Japanese players compete against each other in one Major League contest wouldn't have even been possible five or six years ago. But with more of the top-notch talent coming from the Far East to the United States every season, the lineups for Friday's series opener at U.S. Cellular Field between Seattle and the White Sox soon might be the rule rather than the exception.

Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, the game's top hitter, and relief pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa will suit up for the Mariners. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi and closer Shingo Takatsu will be featured for the South Siders.

"The more years they are going to spend here and the better players they're going to bring here, obviously every general manager is going to be interested to go to Japan and get more players," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Friday's strong Japanese on-field contingency. "And finally, baseball is going worldwide, to get players out of Korea, Japan, Australia and different places."

Neither of Friday's starting pitchers are of Japanese origin, with Jon Garland taking on Joel Pineiro. It will be Pineiro's first start of the season, returning from the 15-day disabled list, while Garland makes his second start after beating Minnesota last Saturday.

Left fielder Scott Podsednik is questionable with a strained right abductor. Carl Everett is doubtful after suffering a bruised left shoulder blade when he ran into the left-field wall at Jacobs Field during the first inning Thursday.

Raul Ibanez has 15 hits in 37 at-bats against Garland, while Ichiro is 6-for-17 against the White Sox right-hander.

Pitching matchup

CWS: RHP Jon Garland

• 1-0, 4.50 ERA in 2005

• 3-0, 2.95 ERA in 2004 vs. SEA

CLE: RHP Joel Pineiro

• First start of 2005

• 0-1, 7.71 ERA in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch

With two days off to start the week, A.J. Pierzynski should be fresh and ready to go behind the plate when Seattle comes to town. Pierzynski also should enjoy seeing Pineiro, who he has six hits in 16 career at-bats against, with one home run, one double and four RBIs.

Quotable

"It was colder tonight than it was last night. The game went at a snail's pace, and then you start stiffening up, running around and trying to stay loose. It's tough in these conditions, but hopefully it heats up soon."

-- White Sox center fielder Aaron Rowand on Thursday's blustery conditions in Cleveland. Rowand will get his wish, as Friday's forecast in Chicago is for 70 degrees and sunshine.

On television

• CWS: Comcast SportsNet

• SEA: KSTW

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• SEA: KOMO

Quick hits

Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez's four walks are the most he has allowed in a single game since Aug 25, 2004 at Cleveland. ... Paul Konerko's fourth home run leaves him in a tie for the American League lead. He has nine RBIs. ... Joe Crede has hit in five straight games. ... Jermaine Dye broke a 0-for-13 slump with a fifth-inning single ... Rowand finished with five hits in his last eight at-bats during the final two games of the series ... Juan Uribe picked up his first two extra-base hits of the 2005 season. ... The White Sox finished 4-2 on this six-game road trip, and now stand 6-3 against the American League Central ... The White Sox have a 3-2 record in night games.

On deck

• Saturday: Mariners at White Sox, 1:05 p.m. CT

• Sunday: Mariners at White Sox, 2:05 p.m. CT

• Monday: Twins at White Sox, 7:05 p.m. CT

:bringit :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
So, the game will start at 5:05 Seattle time? Kind of a wierd time, no?

Why is it weird..? All night games start at 7:05 at Comiskey...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Just a friendly reminder, be sure to get in your picks to click and YNOT picks before game time.  And if you will not be around a computer for the weekend, you can make all of the weekends PTCs in advance.

Good luck

haha yeah, I came in and posted mine like 30 minutes after the game started. I thought it started at 7 for some reason. So I just deleted it. I was going to pick Dye so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

WCIU rules! :P

Hopefully all Seattle bats but Ichiro are silenced this weekend. Going to the games on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and wanna see some great displays of ball (AND Shingo Time).

Jon looked decent in his last outing, so hopefully that's a good omen for what's gonna come down tonight at Comiskey. Hawk said last night, IIRC, that Podsednik will be back tonight, and hopefully he will.

Fearless prediction: Konerko will get at least one extra base hit.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
WCIU = The Fuzzy station....atleast they have decent sound though.. Comcast's sound thus far sucks ass.

No kidding...Last night, I couldn't even hear the sound until about seven minutes into the ballgame!

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Ugh.. opening day seems so long ago. Can't wait to get to the park tonight.  :headbang

I can't wait for tomorrow - Brain and I are headed there - his idea too. He better watch his ass or I'll make him walk home. :chair :crying :D

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Everett and Pods are down.

Will Ozzie ever return to...

The left field hijinks of one Ross Gload? eek.gif

Personally, I would MUCH rather see Willie in CF and Rowand shift over to LF. That would also give us another lefty bat against a tough right-hander.