kruk called us out.

doUrememberwhen

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if you check my screen name I hope you wouldn't expect me to attend 50 or 60 games a year, but anyway...

I don't thing you can write off these early season attendence figures as simply the fault of the cold weather. Look at Cleveland. Back when they were winning they sold out that place for like three or four years straight didn't they? That's in Cleveland, too - friggin' Cleveland! Their weather is no better then Chicago's this time of year. I just don't see how you can reconcile the attendance for a winning Cleveland franchise with the attendence of a winning Sox club without getting critical of our turnout. Either there are a lot of poor fans out there who don't go to games or there are not that many fans in the first place. My guess is that the Sox actually have a fairly small fan base - although the fans they DO have are the best and most dedicated in baseball.

SFF

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Not once I have condemned people here regarding this. In fact, just the opposite. Go read my posts again. I have said that the people here are all die hard and all would support this team in any way possible if and when they could. When I was in Chicago I used to go to 50 games every year as a student. I would go to the UD because that is all I could afford then. And these were seasons when I knew from day one we had no chance (the days when the Tribe was the clear favorite every year)....except for the 2000 season when the Sox surprised me.

You can say then what is the point of these threads, and you may have a point there. BUT then I would say what is the point of telling BBTN to f*** off or of telling Paulie to correct his swing either or telling Dye to do something since none of them would ever care to read this board. The point of these threads is to highlight what is the problem with the Sox and suggest ways to fix it. Does it have to be done daily? I do not think so, and I have not done that. But when you get 12000 in the game when you could be setting the all time baseball record (26 games with a lead) it needs to be raised.

And finally, who the f*** gave any of you rights to decide what is worth talking about here. IF you do not like these threads, avoid it. Simple.

Easy, everyone has the right to say what they want. That's kinda the point of a message board.

And once AGAIN. To hit on ONE NIGHTS attendance, takes away from the FACT (as you like to use) that April had the best attendance since 1994. It means that MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THE GAMES!!! Pointing out one nights attendance being bad when we had the best month of April in over a decade, is like b****ing at Iguchi for taking a strike last night while going 4-4. It means you are ignoring the bigger picture. And if you want to be that kind of a poster, have at it. I am just trying to show what reality looks like. And if you want to ignore it as usual, have at it.

And finally the funny thing is that the internet works both ways. If you don't like what I am saying, who the f*** are you to tell me what to say? If you don't like my posts, you can take your own advice and avoid it. Simple, according to you, but you can't seem to handle it yourself. I guess that is just more hypocracy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Easy, everyone has the right to say what they want.  That's kinda the point of a message board.

And once AGAIN.  To hit on ONE NIGHTS attendance, takes away from the FACT (as you like to use) that April had the best attendance since 1994.  It means that MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THE GAMES!!!  Pointing out one nights attendance being bad when we had the best month of April in over a decade, is like b****ing at Iguchi for taking a strike last night while going 4-4.  It means you are ignoring the bigger picture.  And if you want to be that kind of a poster, have at it.  I am just trying to show what reality looks like.  And if you want to ignore it as usual, have at it.

And finally the funny thing is that the internet works both ways.  If you don't like what I am saying, who the f*** are you to tell me what to say?  If you don't like my posts, you can take your own advice and avoid it.  Simple, according to you, but you can't seem to handle it yourself.  I guess that is just more hypocracy.

Wow this is getting exciting... :jerry :drink :fight

Did it really look as if their was six thousand there last night?

Even though kruk pulled that one out of his ass, since he obviously only saw the highlights, how bad was it really?

I like how kruk couldn't name Iguchi after the countless times they showed the base-running play...

Guest JimH
Did it really look as if their was six thousand there last night?

It did not look like 12k to me, in terms of actually sitting in the stands. It looked considerably less, and yeah, I guess saying about 6k actually sitting in the stands watching the game is a fair guess.

Lots of people went into the bullpen bar and I'm sure others were upstairs in the Stadium Club or within the confines of the Club Level.

The weather is a little better today, although it will still be pretty chilly down there. I wouldn't expect too much more than 15k.

Personally, these attendance threads don't bother me, nor do I care who starts them. Attendance is an issue with any sports team, and attendance has always been a topic of conversation re: the Chicago White Sox. I agree the attendance discussion can get old ... but we have lots of topics on this board that beat the dead horse in the same way.

Also, I think there's a difference between commenting on attendance vs. b****ing about it. Some posters when they comment on attendance, it comes off as b****ing. I totally agree someone is fair game if they rarely go to games and then come on this board and say, "what the hell is the problem with White Sox fans, how come they never go to the games???" That's fair game.

However, if you have for example a poster like the guy from Virginia in this thread who makes a comment like, "wow, it's a shame there were only 12k there last nite", to me there is nothing wrong with that. I don't see the difference between a statement like that vs. the 1 million other topics here that are beaten to death.

I agree Jim.. didn't look like 12K there to us either. The Club was packed for sure.. and I'm sure the bar was also. I was shocked to see all the cars in the lot when we left.. there was a bit of a backup out of E. We did not expect that at all.

I don't think tonight will be much better and tomorrow will likely be worse. I don't really care.. they have my $$ and my butt is there 50 times a year. :cheers

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:46 AM)
You may not give a f***, but if you really cared about the long term success of this team, you would too. If there is one GUARANTEE about the Sox, it is that their payroll is directly proportional to the attendance and that is NOT going to change.

And yes, higher payroll DOES NOT always equate to success, but with Kenny as our GM, I would love to see our team with a 100M payroll some day. As hard as he works, he would end our ineptness if he had that kind of payroll, no doubt in my mind. Higher payrolls do give you a better chance to win. The Pirates and Brewers and Royals have never won anything in the recent memory because of that very reason.

So again, if you really cared about the Sox, you would give a f*** about the attendance.

Every extra ticket sold is the difference between whether we keep Frank here next year or not.

Every extra ticket sold is the difference between whether we sign Garland long term or not.

Every extra ticket sold is the difference between whether we re-sign Paulie long terms or get a big bat to replace him or not

Every extra ticket sold is the difference between whether we go finding the next Jimenez or Royce Clayton or Uribe instead of ARod or not.

So STFU if you have no clue.

Us having no clue? You're the one who wants Vinny F'n Castilla... :lol:

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 4, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Again, honestly, for a team that is off to the best start in it's history, this is pretty damn pathetic and if JR moved the team, I wouldn't be able to say  he's dumb for doing so. I don't see many other fans making excuses for not going. Like sox-r-us said, Seattle draws alot and they have nothing but cub-like fans there. Simply no excuse at all. And yes, I do go to alot of games and for the 50th time, I plan on going to 60+ this season.

What's pathetic? The fact that we had an awesome attendence for the month of April -- better than last year -- even when the month included such huge attractions like Detroit, Cleveland, and Seattle?

Sheesh. b**** b**** b****.

And, I just read SS2K's post. I think it's damn impressive, the best April attendence since '94, for a month that didn't even include the likes of Boston, New York, the Cubs. We're going to draw well when we play those teams -- and once summer hits, people are out of school, work, etc -- this won't even be discussed anymore, I guarantee it. Or gaurantee -- one of the two. :banghead :D

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
What's pathetic?  The fact that we had an awesome attendence for the month of April -- better than last year -- even when the month included such huge attractions like Detroit, Cleveland, and Seattle?

Sheesh.  b**** b**** b****.

And, I just read SS2K's post.  I think it's damn impressive, the best April attendence since '94, for a month that didn't even include the likes of Boston, New York, the Cubs.  We're going to draw well when we play those teams -- and once summer hits, people are out of school, work, etc -- this won't even be discussed anymore, I guarantee it.  Or gaurantee -- one of the two.  :banghead  :D

Yeah, because back in 94 we were off to a better start than we have now. I forgot about that. Not! When you have the best team in baseball, breaking records and off to its best start in its history(not since 94 as many of you guys like to use that number) then it is pretty damn pathetic.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Yeah, because back in 94 we were off to a better start than we have now. I forgot about that. Not! When you have the best team in baseball, breaking records and off to its best start in its history(not since 94 as many of you guys like to use that number) then it is pretty damn pathetic.

Did you enjoy the cell tonight??

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
I love threads like this. It brings the whole Soxtalk community together.  Can't you feel the love? :D

Oh i can feel the love so much I completely avoid posting on this topic. Against my better judgement I will say that both sides have valid arguments. There are so many variables as to why attendance is the way it is. My forte is not racking my brain to list them. One side says " you're b****ing about attendance but I can b**** all I want about the weather and who the Sox are playing ". I could have swore the reason we go to home games is to see the home team win. Right now the Sox are an attraction in and of themselves. If that isn't reason enough to go to a game I don't know what is.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)

Ask any older Sox fan about 1994 and they will tell you that it was going to be the year they made it to the World Series. They were in first place, and were right there for the best record in baseball all year long. They also were coming off of a division championship in 1993, which we are not in 2004. There are plenty of reasons that 1994 attendance was so big.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
Ask any older Sox fan about 1994 and they will tell you that it was going to be the year they made it to the World Series.  They were in first place, and were right there for the best record in baseball all year long.  They also were coming off of a division championship in 1993, which we are not in 2004.  There are plenty of reasons that 1994 attendance was so big.

Exactly. The team was proven based on 1993. The Sox were very good in '94. The expectations were as high as they had been since, sigh, 1984.