*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Who says Oakland is going to dump salary?  They still need someone to market in order to draw people to the ballparks.  Beane chose Chavez over Giambi and Tejada.  With his ego, do you really think he would just give up on Chavez just for Crede and McCarthy?

How would that make him look in three years when Crede and McCarthy are All Stars? GMs live for finding diamonds in the rough.

That said, I'd make the deal. Boras probably wants $10million/year for Crede, so forget him.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Kenny never makes his big move right before the deadline.  If the sox are going to make a big move it'll be done within the next month, imo.  He could make a smaller move hours before the deadline like Contreras last year but if Chavez is going to be traded to the sox it'll be within the month, no doubt in my mind.

Totally agree.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
He's guaranteed $66 million over 6 years.  It's still a lot but let's be accurate.

Beltre got that much for 5 years, Glaus got 4 years 45 million. And Chavez fits our needs better than those two. You are getting a premier 3B for under what the new market value is, of course this is a good contract.

Beltre got that much for 5 years, Glaus got 4 years 45 million.  And Chavez fits our needs better than those two.  You are getting a premier 3B for under what the new market value is, of course this is a good contract.

Indeed. With the current free agent market, if Chavez goes back to performing like he normally does it's a very good contract.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Doesn't matter. He will not get ten million plus if he is hitting in the .220's with fourty home runs.

First, I'm not suggesting he'd hit .220. Probably won't .

If Konerko hits .250, which is still low, and drives in 100RBI and 35HR's, he'll have a good sized contract this offseason.

But even if he were to hit .220, some team will be willing to pay more than 8 million/yr if his power numbers are present. Nothing should surprise you after the terrible contracts issued last year.

With the weak 1B market next offseason, he'll earn his money from some desperate club looking for power production. Him and Durazo are the jewel or the crop.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Indeed.  With the current free agent market, if Chavez goes back to performing like he normally does it's a very good contract.

s*** Error-amis Ramirez is making 10.5 in 2006 11 in 2007 and 11.5 in 2008 and he got a home town discount and I would rather have Chavez.

s*** Error-amis Ramirez is making 10.5 in 2006 11 in 2007 and 11.5 in 2008 and he got a home town discount and I would rather have Chavez.

Yep. Chavez has proven to be much more consistent offensively and defensively over his career than Aramis Ramirez as well.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
And if you dont think Kong will get more money than what he gets now, see Sexon's contract 4 years 50 million.

Sexson>konerko. Tell me when konerko ever has a .900 plus ops.

Sexson career ops+ of 111... sexson career ops+ of 123. Sexson also playsa better first base.

Chavez is a great player but I swear KW better not give up Bmac, even though he hasn't been all that with the sox I would bring him up before anyone if Duke were to go down again. Thats also not counting the possibility of Count going down or anyone else.

We all know what the fifth starter fiasco has done, nothing but eliminatinig us from the playoffs, to take a risk of handing out our only backup would be silly. Not only is Bmac our backup incase someone goes down this season but he is out future, a future ace why give him up?? Say NO KW.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Chavez is a great player but I swear KW better not give up Bmac, even though he hasn't been all that with the sox I would bring him up before anyone if Duke were to go down again. Thats also not counting the possibility of Count going down or anyone else.

We all know what the fifth starter fiasco has done, nothing but eliminatinig us from the playoffs, to take a risk of handing out our only backup would be silly. Not only is Bmac our backup incase someone goes down this season but he is out future, a future ace why give him up?? Say NO KW.

A lot of it is going to depend on how much of Chavez's salary the Sox would be willing to pick up. If the A's pay more than half, it's going to take B-Mac and another A-list prospect. If the Sox are willing to pay a huge chunk, then KW would be able to say, we pay more, you get less.

That is...if this trade happens at all. :ph34r: :D

Who says Oakland is going to dump salary?  They still need someone to market in order to draw people to the ballparks.  Beane chose Chavez over Giambi and Tejada.  With his ego, do you really think he would just give up on Chavez just for Crede and McCarthy?

Oakland never draws. I don't see how that matters to him. Beane just traded his best two pitchers in the offseason to dump salary and get good prospects. I doubt he is too worried about drawing people to the ballpark after he just broke up the Big Three. He has a low payroll team. I'm sure he could easily do without Chavez's contract considering he is trying to rebuild.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
Exactly how are his numbers better? They are very similar.

His bat is left-handed. So that makes his terrible numbers better?

He can hit to all fields. Grounding out to short and flying out to right are still outs.

He does not clog the bases and can steal? Have you ever watched this guy run? I think he gets about 5 steals a year. Big deal.

Also, for all the ranting about all the DPs Konerko hits into, Chavez has into one less than Paulie this year.

As for the fielding, he's actually won 3 gold gloves, not 4, from 2001-03. He's made NINE errors this year.

In my estimation, this guy is not an upgrade over Crede. Even if he is slightly better, I'd rather not trade future talent for this guy, whose numbers may have been inflated by the Giambi Juice.

Let me give you some baseball 101

Left handed bat-we dont hit well against righties, he does, fits our lineup as for terrible numbers, please stop looking at your ESPN current numbers thanks.

Hitting to all fields, pulling the ball constantly does not fit into our way of playing baseball, being able to hit to right field and the right side of the infield to advance the runner in a situation where we need a run is crucial, Kong cant do this

running from 1st to third is crucial when we need a sac fly or escape a DP situation.

THIS years stats, come on, look at career numbers

Gold Gloves-try a new search engine buddy he has won the gold glove in 2001, 2002 , 2003, and 2004 that would be four, he also won the 2002 silver slugger award.

If you dont see that having an all star caliber 3B with FOUR gold gloves is not an upgrade over Credemaybe take a look at career avg's OBP SLG and OPS maybe that will help. If not I would suggest taking a walk over to the urinal on 1060 west addison, they will take care of you over there.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
A lot of it is going to depend on how much of Chavez's salary the Sox would be willing to pick up.  If the A's pay more than half, it's going to take B-Mac and another A-list prospect.  If the Sox are willing to pay a huge chunk, then KW would be able to say, we pay more, you get less.

That is...if this trade happens at all. :ph34r:  :D

At this point, I'd endorse taking the salary on in full because that allows Konerko to walk next season with a clear conscience.

Even if this trade is on the furthest of the back burners, it has made for some real interesting chatter.

Joe Crede and Brandon McCarthy for Eric Chavez? Can you hear me now? Good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Any cost, that is below market value for a player in a position that we desperately need, yes I would do it in a second.  If your main argument to this is what will that do to our payroll, and your love for Joe Randa, we are never going to see Eye to eye.  Because if you think Randa is a better player you are crazy. 

Better than who? Chavez? No he isn't. I think he is better than Crede though.

If you think Randa is better in the long run, you have got to be kidding me. 

I think Chavez would be better than Randa in the long run for third base, but certainly not in the long run for our team.

Reinsdorf and Co. operate this team on a budget. Unless they plan on spending a ton of money at free will, I don't want to see Chavez in a Sox uni because he will make so much.

Who's to say the market won't change in the next 5 years?

The average player's salary could go up, or down. Back in 2000 this would've looked like a great contract becuase A-Rod was getting $25 million per, and Manny was getting $20 million per.

This makes sense, he basically takes Kong's place in the payroll, this is close to what it will cost to keep kong and sign Crede in arbitration.  If we dont sign Crede then we have no 3B, got it?

Who says Konerko will be back next year? :huh: Konerko said he'd be willing to take a hometown discount to stay here, but I don't want him back. Why don'y you take a look a who will be getting raises next year?

Garland (Due for a big one)

Dye

Pods (1.4 million raise)

Buehrle

Garcia

Thomas (his buyout will cost $3.5 million)

just to name a few. It looks as if Konerko's 2005 salary is already being spent on raises for many players in 2006.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Sexson>konerko. Tell me when konerko ever has a .900 plus ops.

Sexson career ops+ of 111... sexson career ops+ of 123. Sexson also playsa better first base.

In this next free agent market, with the option available and not having to go against the likes of Delgado, Konerko will look alot better than Sexon, if not, he may get 1 or 2 million less a year, thats still a ton more than now.

At this point, I'd endorse taking the salary on in full because that allows Konerko to walk next season with a clear conscience.

Even if this trade is on the furthest of the back burners, it has made for some real interesting chatter. 

Joe Crede and Brandon McCarthy for Eric Chavez?  Can you hear me now?  Good.

Indeed. There should be no question that we would rather be spending a lot of money on Chavez than Konerko.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Better than who?  Chavez?  No he isn't.  I think he is better than Crede though.

I think Chavez would be better than Randa in the long run for third base, but certainly not in the long run for our team.

Reinsdorf and Co. operate this team on a budget.  Unless they plan on spending a ton of money at free will, I don't want to see Chavez in a Sox uni because he will make so much. 

Who's to say the market won't change in the next 5 years? 

The average player's salary could go up, or down.  Back in 2000 this would've looked like a great contract becuase A-Rod was getting $25 million per, and Manny was getting $20 million per.

Who says Konerko will be back next year?  :huh: Konerko said he'd be willing to take a hometown discount to stay here, but I don't want him back.  Why don'y you take a look a who will be getting raises next year?

Garland (Due for a big one)

Dye

Pods (1.4 million raise)

Buehrle

Garcia

Thomas (his buyout will cost $3.5 million)

just to name a few.  It looks as if Konerko's 2005 salary is already being spent on raises for many players in 2006.

So because you think we need to sit back and save money, your suggestion is Randa and Gload next year, or Gload and Fields???? :headshake

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
Honestly, who else would be interested in getting Chavez if Oakland did dangle him?

Out of all of the contending teams this year as of now:

AL:

Not the Yanks with Pay Rod

Not the Bo Sox with Mueller

Not the Rangers with Blaylock

Not the Angels with Dallas McPherson

Not the Os with Mora hitting 0.297

Not the Twinkies with Cuddyer and with limited payroll

NL:

Not the Cards with Rolen

Not the Braves with Chipper Jones

Not the Marlins with Lowell

Not the Giants with Alfonso hitting 0.328 (and the As would never trade him to Giants, it would hurt them big time with city popularity)

Not the Cubs with Aramis Ramirez

Not the Padres with Blum hitting 0.296

Not the LA Dodgers with Perez hitting 0.422

Not the Dbacks with Troy Glaus

I just do not see anyone else seriously being interested in Chavez, hence we should use the leverage to our advantage. Hopefully, Kenny screws Beane who has to be desperate to trade him to us.

well done. Not only are there few teams in need, they must also have the talent Oakland wants [most likely, a major league ready SP and position players]. If Beane does want to trade Chavez, the sox have to among those with the will and ability to get a deal done.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Wow! I really wish I could have heard this. Most guys are so PC about everything. I think and hope something is going on. That's two appearances in two days. He wants out fast, he's trying to force Beane's hand. I like the fact that he sounded cocky about how his hitting will get better. It makes me think steroids were not an issue with him. I have been and continue to be on ( if not lead) the "let's get Chavez" bandwagon.

then contribue in the thread where im pleading the case, more the merrier

Sorry if this is an ignorant qusetion, but IF this trade were to happen, why would we wait another month or until the trade deadline, as has been posted on here? If this trade is to improve the team this season wouldn't sooner be better than later?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)

Joe Crede and Brandon McCarthy for Eric Chavez?  Can you hear me now?  Good.

But what I'm saying is...if the Sox DO take on the entire salary, KW can say...we'll give you Crede and Tracey and another Shot-in-the-dark prospect instead of either B-Mac, Sweeney, Anderson, Gio, etc.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
But what I'm saying is...if the Sox DO take on the entire salary, KW can say...we'll give you Crede and Tracey and another Shot-in-the-dark prospect instead of either B-Mac, Sweeney, Anderson, Gio, etc.

Eh'. Agree to diasgree on that one.

McCarthy will be a part of the deal any way you cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be wrong on that, but Beane will be the one dictating this transaction.

A BIG factor to consider is--have the Sox had their fill of Joe Crede? If they have--after working with him and finally convincing him to make some changes--then getting a long term fix for a key position [where the sox don't have a Plan B--Josh Fields is probably two yrs away at best] does serve this organization for the short and long term