TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

I don't have my insider subscription anymore but ESPN insider has something on the White Sox possible interest in Omar Vizquel as well as Schmidt. Its info probably from the Ledewsky column in the Southtown.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I don't have my insider subscription anymore but ESPN insider has something on the White Sox possible interest in Omar Vizquel as well as Schmidt.

Gah...I know you're not suggesting it, and I don't know who is, but Omar Vizquel?!?

:puke

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Very good player, just to many years on that contract.

I just think we need to forget about past middle infielders from Cleveland for a while. Uribe's more than sufficient enough for the 9 spot, IMO.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
I just think we need to forget about past middle infielders from Cleveland for a while.  Uribe's more than sufficient enough for the 9 spot, IMO.

Completely agree. The left side of our infield is to damn good to mess with.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:58 AM)
Everybody is looking at everybody, it's the nature of major league baseball two weeks before the trading deadline.

I agree with you, I think the Giants thing still has legs, and I also believe KW has Plan B (and maybe even C, D, and E) in place.

I tend to think the Sox are in a holding pattern with the Giants and I also think there is at least some smoke to the whole Vizquel/Schmidt possibilities. Both would be very nice addition to this club, but the question for Schmidt is the cost.

I still think Schmidt has a lot left in him and this is his first season of not being an ace in the past couple. As long as he has a clean bill of health, I'd pick him up.

However, I'd make damn sure if I gave up Bmac/Anderson and one other prospect that I'd be getting Omar as well.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)
Cotts pitched two night in a row. AZ scouting, good trade bait for a starter. Not trying to start anything so please everyone calm down. He's young, pitching well, and the Sox are looking for a starter and AZ looking for bullpen help.

Good god, I'll puke if the Sox deal Cotts. You don't trade him, the guy is so freaking good. He's the best reliever this club has next to Politte and Hermy and he has the ability to be even better.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
I tend to think the Sox are in a holding pattern with the Giants and I also think there is at least some smoke to the whole Vizquel/Schmidt possibilities.  Both would be very nice addition to this club, but the question for Schmidt is the cost. 

I still think Schmidt has a lot left in him and this is his first season of not being an ace in the past couple.  As long as he has a clean bill of health, I'd pick him up. 

However, I'd make damn sure if I gave up Bmac/Anderson and one other prospect that I'd be getting Omar as well.

Have you seen him pitch recently?? If so what did you think of his stuff? I saw his last start where he got bombed but I was impressed with his stuff, imo you'll see him really start to improve here in the next few weeks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Good god, I'll puke if the Sox deal Cotts.  You don't trade him, the guy is so freaking good.  He's the best reliever this club has next to Politte and Hermy and he has the ability to be even better.

What a luxury to say that Neal cotts is our 3rd best reliever and he has an era in the 1's. :headbang

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Have you seen him pitch recently??  If so what did you think of his stuff? I saw his last start where he got bombed but I was impressed with his stuff, imo you'll see him really start to improve here in the next few weeks.

I know Matheny is supposed to be a great defensive catcher, but how is he at calling a game?

And who was the catcher before AJ in SF?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Good god, I'll puke if the Sox deal Cotts.  You don't trade him, the guy is so freaking good.  He's the best reliever this club has next to Politte and Hermy and he has the ability to be even better.

I was reading somewhere were it was believed Arizona is scouting TB. I guess they are trying to get Baez.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Have you seen him pitch recently??  If so what did you think of his stuff? I saw his last start where he got bombed but I was impressed with his stuff, imo you'll see him really start to improve here in the next few weeks.

I didn't see his last start but I saw you talking about how he pitched pretty well despite the stats.

The big thing I have noticed is that his secondary stuff looks there. The only thing is he's struggling with his velocity (but that could definately come back as his arm gets closer to 100%). At the same time when his command is on (and he had been rolling up until that previous start) he's still dynomite. He has good movement and is a total beast.

Like I say I'd trade a few of the Sox top prospects for him, but I'd also be quite interested in Omar. I love Uribe to death but Omar is a leader that could help this team while Uribe could turn into a super utility guy giving the Sox incredible depth. Plus he can spell Crede at 3rd at times.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it and I don't think Omar is the kind of guy that would have any type of negative impact on chemistry. On top of that I really think he'd help this team down the stretch and hopefully in the postseason as well. Obviously he's signed for a year too long, but whose to say the Sox can't acquire him for this year and than trade him off to someone else later on.

Omar is hitting .303 in a pitchers park. Drop him to the 9 spot or even slide him to the 2 slot, moving Guchi down, regardless, it would give the Sox a little bit more pop and we all know he can play D (so can Uribe though).

It also gives the Sox an extra weapon if anyone goes down (knowing you can plug Uribe in at any of the infield positions). The move would spell the end for Willie though because right now Ozuna >>>> Willie.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I was reading somewhere were it was believed Arizona is scouting TB. I guess they are trying to get Baez.

I don't think the Dbacks and Sox are good trade partners. The Diamondbacks are pretty happy with Javier or at least I think they are and to be honest, I don't see the Sox going hard for Javier. Kenny wants to make a splash and while I know he wanted Javier pretty bad in the past, I don't think he's the type of guy that would put the Sox over the top.

Plus Kenny isn't going to deal much from the major league roster. I could see one reliever getting dealt (if Jenks kicks total butt) but aside from that the only way they trade a reliever is if they added someone like Wagner, Guardado, etc via trade.

Now Willie on the other hand, I could see him getting dealt to a team like the Giants.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
I didn't see his last start but I saw you talking about how he pitched pretty well despite the stats. 

The big thing I have noticed is that his secondary stuff looks there.  The only thing is he's struggling with his velocity (but that could definately come back as his arm gets closer to 100%).  At the same time when his command is on (and he had been rolling up until that previous start) he's still dynomite.  He has good movement and is a total beast.

Like I say I'd trade a few of the Sox top prospects for him, but I'd also be quite interested in Omar.  I love Uribe to death but Omar is a leader that could help this team while Uribe could turn into a super utility guy giving the Sox incredible depth.  Plus he can spell Crede at 3rd at times. 

I don't necessarily have a problem with it and I don't think Omar is the kind of guy that would have any type of negative impact on chemistry.  On top of that I really think he'd help this team down the stretch and hopefully in the postseason as well.  Obviously he's signed for a year too long, but whose to say the Sox can't acquire him for this year and than trade him off to someone else later on. 

Omar is hitting .303 in a pitchers park.  Drop him to the 9 spot or even slide him to the 2 slot, moving Guchi down, regardless, it would give the Sox a little bit more pop and we all know he can play D (so can Uribe though). 

It also gives the Sox an extra weapon if anyone goes down (knowing you can plug Uribe in at any of the infield positions).  The move would spell the end for Willie though because right now Ozuna >>>> Willie.

What you said about Schmidt is dead on. My take on his last outing was it was just one of those games that all pitchers have, he just couldn't find the strike zone. Anyways on to Omar, I have a great deal of respect for Omar and I agree he wouldn't mess up team chemistry, however that contract scares me off a bit, don't want to be stuck with him for another 2 years. I love Juan defensively and it'd be really hard for me to change that left side of the infield unless you're getting an all out stud. Omar is damn good, I just don't know if it'd be worth it but that's just my take.

Also wanted to add if the Sox were looking for a left handed reliever Scott Eyre (former Sox) wouldn't be a bad pickup from the Giants.

He's pitched in 44 games this year with a 2.80 ERA and has given up just 23 hits in 35.1 innings. Also averaging just over a strikeout per inning. He does walk guys though (19).

The Southtown has no love for Uribe & I'm not sure if I have that much either. Though I would give Juan til the deadline to prove to us why we shouldn't make this trade. It doesn't say anything about Uribe being part of the deal but I didn't real were SF has any other option at SS that would be better than Juan. Money wise they are saving several million.

Assists, DP, F%, ZR all factor in comparing middle IFers.

Uribe 192A 39DP .974F% .840ZR

Omar 213A 40DP .991F% .871ZR

If Uribe was a better D player I could see the love. But he's not.

Omar is getting to more balls, making less errors, & executing as many DP's. Uribe has a gun but I think Omar does as well.

Offensively Omar would become the best hitter for average on the White Sox.

Omar 43R, 90H, 20DB, 3TP, 1HR, 30RBI, 26FP, 14SB, .303A, .357O, .401S, 3.86#P/PA, 1.23GB/FB

Uribe 25R, 57H, 12DB, 1TP, 6HR, 37RBI, 13FP, 2SB, .249A, .280O, .389S, 3.39#P/PA, 0.86GB/FB

Of all the talk being batted about our Chicago White Sox this one makes the most sense.

Pods, Omar, Iguchi, Thomas, Koney, Dye, Rowand, AJ, Crede

Tad's comment recently implied he thinks he's a #3 hitter. Most of his life he hit #3/#4 in Japan. He referred to #2 as a bunter's role in Japan & here it's RF hitter.

Tad's numbers suggest he may be right:

40R, 76H, 14D, 3T, 5HR, 33RBI, 25FP, 60K, 9SB, .280A, .337O, .410S

RON .314A .346O .488S .834OPS

The only serious fault there is the 60K. But being slotted between Vizquel & Thomas should improve that. The same can be said of his 22 extra base hits. He should see more fastballs with Pods &/or Omar on base. Omar at #2 will improve the pitch selection to Pods as well.

If you are concerned over the roughly $9M/2yr left on his contract the White Sox do have insurance at both the major & minor leagues.

Ozuna has proven to be a strong armed backup & Angel Gonzalez on the Barons. Gonzalez has been on the fast track & continues to hit at every level. His 21E though are suspect.

If they keep bringing up Kevin Walker just because Ozzie refuses to go without 2 lefties in the pen...you can be damn sure Damaso won't be leaving unless there's an immediate addition of another left-handed reliever. And if KW decides it should be Walker...I'll throw up.