TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Any offensive upgrade would be a major -- yes, major -- defensive downgrade.  Even Omar Vizquel.

I think some people forget that Uribe and Crede play both offense and defense. Our pitching has been phenominal this year but so has our defense outside a few games. When you have a great defense behind a great pitching staff, you are going to win a lot of games, a lot.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
I think some people forget that Uribe and Crede play both offense and defense.  Our pitching has been phenominal this year but so has our defense outside a few games.  When you have a great defense behind a great pitching staff, you are going to win a lot of games, a lot.

I agree. I know the left side of our infield isn't hitting the best, but it might be fielding the best. Especially for our pitchers, who like to let the ball get in play, a valuable defense is very important. The only upgrade I'd like to see is with another arm, either in the rotation or in the bullpen.

Rosenthal::http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/ken-ro.../20050710a.html

The Marlins remain willing to trade RHP A.J. Burnett even after placing RHP Josh Beckett on the disabled list for the ninth time in four seasons. The Orioles are willing to include RHP Hayden Penn in a package for Burnett, but the Marlins want more established RHP Daniel Cabrera, whom the O's won't trade. The White Sox could start their package with Class AAA RHP Brandon McCarthy and reliever LHP Damaso Marte. Or they could include prospects instead of McCarthy, which would enable the Marlins to spin those youngsters for a veteran starter. The Orioles, Tigers and Blue Jays are among the teams that likely would pursue Burnett as a free agent this offseason. . . .

From the same link:

The Pirates are open to trading RHP Kip Wells if they can land either a young center fielder or a young third baseman. G.M. Dave Littlefield received poor returns in previous deadline deals for RHPs Jason Schmidt and Kris Benson, but he had just taken over when he traded Schmidt in 2001 and was under more financial pressure to trade Benson last season than he is to trade Wells. . . .

Brian Anderson plays Centerfield

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I really hope we don't get Wells.  He seems like the kind of guy that will thrive only in a completely pressureless environment.

Trust me, Wells is not coming back to Chicago. The organization hated him when he was here, for stuff he did on and off the field.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:39 AM)
Any offensive upgrade would be a major -- yes, major -- defensive downgrade.  Even Omar Vizquel.

When I think of a major defensive downgrade, I think of the difference between Crede and Ozuna at 3b. There's not that big of a difference between Uribe and Vizquel, in comparison. Since Crede is likely not going anywhere, I'd take my chances defensively on the left side with Crede and Omar in exchange for the offensive upgrade we'd receive. Omar would be a great 9 hitter on this team, setting the table for the top of our order. He'd also be set to bat 2nd in games where Iguchi doesn't play. We have no one else who can bat 2nd on the team.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
details.....?

I had a family member that worked with the Charlotte Knights when Kip was there. Trust me, the organization didn't like him at all. I'm not going to state any particulars, but I'm 100 pct sure Wells won't play for the Sox again.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
I had a family member that worked with the Charlotte Knights when Kip was there. Trust me, the organization didn't like him at all.  I'm not going to state any particulars, but I'm 100 pct sure Wells won't play for the Sox again.

Come on fathom, you know better than to come with the "I know somebody who knows somebody and they said, well I cant go into details...."

After seeing Ozuna's escapades at 3B over the last few days, anyone think that trading Pablo straight up for TONY GRAFFANINO might be a good move?

Certainly it would weaken our defense at backup SS, and we'd lose some speed, but we wouldn't have an error-fest over at 3B if Crede's back tightens up again. And if Willie Harris is going to go down when Gload is called up, we'd have someone we know can cover all 3 infield spots who can actually hit. (He's also played 1B this year.)

I'm on the fence, not because I like Ozuna, but because I wonder how much weaker Graffy's defense would be, esp. at SS, where he hasn't really played since 2003.

So, if you don't like Graffy, think of another utility guy that might be a better choice than Ozuna.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
After seeing Ozuna's escapades at 3B over the last few days, anyone think that trading Pablo straight up for TONY GRAFFANINO might be a good move?

Certainly it would weaken our defense at backup SS, and we'd lose some speed, but we wouldn't have an error-fest over at 3B if Crede's back tightens up again.  And if Willie Harris is going to go down when Gload is called up, we'd have someone we know can cover all 3 infield spots who can actually hit.  (He's also played 1B this year.)

I'm on the fence, not because I like Ozuna, but because I wonder how much weaker Graffy's defense would be, esp. at SS, where he hasn't really played since 2003. 

So, if you don't like Graffy, think of another utility guy that might be a better choice than Ozuna.

I would love Graffy back here. But the simplest solution no yesterdays debacle is to have Ozuna play SS and Uribe play 3rd. Uribe has a better arm, has played third, and Ozuna feels more comfortable at SS. Ozuna is a nice replacment, he is just not a replacement 3rd baseman.

This is total speculation on my part and of course wishful thinking. But there was an earlier trade for Zach Day from Washington speculation as part of a 3 way. What if that is to get something to get something. We trade Baj and Willie to the Nats in that 3 way deal and get Zach Day, then turn him and Marte into AJ Burnett. Then we are trading for AJ with Willie, Baj and Marte for the most part.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
I would love Graffy back here.  But the simplest solution no yesterdays debacle is to have Ozuna play SS and Uribe play 3rd.  Uribe has a better arm, has played third, and Ozuna feels more comfortable at SS.  Ozuna is a nice replacment, he is just not a replacement 3rd baseman.   

This is total speculation on my part and of course wishful thinking.  But there was an earlier trade for Zach Day from Washington speculation as part of a 3 way.  What if that is to get something to get something.  We trade Baj and Willie to the Nats in that 3 way deal and get Zach Day, then turn him and Marte into AJ Burnett.  Then we are trading for AJ with Willie, Baj and Marte for the most part.

Graffy=stone hands, no thanks, I would rather have a cheap backup with more speed.

If I was FLA's GM, I wouldnt take a packagoe of Zach Day and Marte for a top tier starting pitcher. Since they are after the likes of D Cabrera as the fruits of a trade, I dont see our "offerings" even close on the radar.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Personally, Im under the opinion that if we make a deal with any team from Florida, its going to be for a hitter named Huff.

With the way he hit at the Cell last week, that wouldnt bother me one bit.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
With the way he hit at the Cell last week, that wouldnt bother me one bit.

Their OF is set for the next 10 years with the youth they have there. Delmon Young just had another article about how they need to promote him soon. Huff is going to be on the block, I hope KW has the phone number. I wouldnt mind having him as the back-up for Kong and the Of'ers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Their OF is set for the next 10 years with the youth they have there.  Delmon Young just had another article about how they need to promote him soon.  Huff is going to be on the block, I hope KW has the phone number.  I wouldnt mind having him as the back-up for Kong and the Of'ers

D-Rays dont sell cheap. I think I heard somewhere a lot of GM's dont even ask because they know what kind of package the devils gm is going to want. I mean look at what the Mets had to give them for Zambrano.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
D-Rays dont sell cheap.  I think I heard somewhere a lot of GM's dont even ask because they know what kind of package the devils gm is going to want.  I mean look at what the Mets had to give them for Zambrano.

Whats your point, that deal really wasnt that one-sided, and to get a future starter who has tons of upside, I would give them what they wanted. They have no room for Huff, and dont have the money to keep him either. He is gone, one way or another.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
If your team has no concern for defense maybe.

He is a serviceable 3B, but in no means a defensive stud. He can play both corners of the IF and the OF. His defense is def not his strong suit. But his hitting is.