GAME THREAD 7-10-2005 SOX vs A's

rangercal

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
But..but..but..but...we have the best record in baseball.  GMAFB, it's very obvious that this team will have some serious issues in the 2nd half if they aren't addressed.  If Crede's back injury lingers, we're f***ED with our current roster.

GMAFB.

Yes, the best record in baseball. Dear God, every team goes through s*** like this.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So who believes that we dont need to make any moves and we are ready for the playoffs. Remember we dont want to f*** with chemistry.

I left in the 8th inning, because my son had enough with the heat. All the way down 55 I hear some good things. I come back home to watch the Jizcan walk.

BTW the Oakland As are very very selective at the plate. Plus they really shorten their swings up on 2 strikes and dump the ball.

Can we trade or release Willie Harris. And for the love of god Timo should not play the OF or any fielding position.

8 focking walks by our pitching today.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
1st time swept in July against a team that always beats you. Not bad, every team does get swept at some point in the season. Take a break and come out swinging in the 2nd half.

I really hope so. It is just so frustrating to watch a winning team go in and get swept. I need to remind myself it is Oakland, but it is still rediculous we play like crap against them even with our top 3 starters. Hopefully we will upgrade soon though. I still have faith. We have played great up to this point. We will see what the 2nd half brings.

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
What a joke?  We lose 3 games against a team that has our number and you virtual give up on our chances to do anything.  Remember the last couple time we lost 3 in a row?  I do, because the team rebounded and showed us why they have the best record in baseball through 1/2 a season.  You're the f***ing joke with posts like this.

Just cause a team has your number, it doesn't mean you have to bend over and take it in the ass. We have a very tough schedule in the 2nd half of the year, and with the way the Cell plays, our pitching staff will not be able to duplicate their first half numbers. Our offense needs to pick it up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
But..but..but..but...we have the best record in baseball.  GMAFB, it's very obvious that this team will have some serious issues in the 2nd half if they aren't addressed.  If Crede's back injury lingers, we're f***ED with our current roster.

But best record = 50% chance to make the playoffs for you? :headshake

Way to have faith, Sox fan...

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)

Crede blows, we need an upgrade at 3B regardless.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I'd like to add Widger

Nice play by Chavez on his ball. If it goes thru, game could be tied. Not Widger's fault. Burke would add a lot more to this team than Willie, IMO.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
GMAFB.

Yes, the best record in baseball. Dear God, every team goes through s*** like this.

STFU with this "best record in baseball" s***. Look at the way we played against the Angels, A's, and Rangers. And then consider that we've still yet to see the Yankees and Red Sox, and will get more games against the Angels, Rangers, and Orioles in the 2nd half.

And then check Cleveland's schedule.

Here is my synopsis on this game:

The A's had a much better approach at the plate, they made Sox pitchers throw strikes and the Sox pitchers were wild all day long. When you walk that many hitters in key situations and have to groove fastballs on hitters counts, your team deserves to lose.

Guillen has had better days, there was no reason for him to leave Cotts in to face their catcher, that was stupid. Cotts was wild and sure enough he walks in a run.

Ozuna in the bottom of the ninth, that was stupid to swing at the first pitch. The guy is probably rattled, you have the winning run at 2nd base. Take a few pitches and see what happens.

Anyone who wants to defend Willie Harris, I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. If you can't rely on him to get a bunt down, forget it. Further, he was trying to bunt to 3rd base with Chavez right in his face. There is no room on the team for a guy who can't execute off the bench. I don't totally blame Harris, he is a mismatch on this roster ... he is not a good bench player. I don't care what the stats say, it is yet another key situation in this series where he did not execute. Get a veteran bench player who can execute.

The 3rd strike call on Everett was bulls*** but the Sox gave Oakland way too many chances to win this game and they finally did.

This is a good thing for the players and management to chew on during the break. They got beat at their own game this weekend and you cannot give good teams like Oakland a bunch of walks, extra outs, etc. Oakland made most of the defensive plays, the Sox botched a few.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Just cause a team has your number, it doesn't mean you have to bend over and take it in the ass.  We have a very tough schedule in the 2nd half of the year, and with the way the Cell plays, our pitching staff will not be able to duplicate their first half numbers.  Our offense needs to pick it up.

We hardly bent over to them today. We kept fighting back, no matter how many runs Freddy was giving up in the first 4 innings.

Yeah, our 3.75 ERA at home is awful.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I'm just not a homer who thinks this team is the best ever.

You don't have to think that but have a little faith in a team that is 28 games over .500 and had not been swept until the series right before The All Star Break. Every team goes through stuff like this and this team has shown they can rebound. They will make the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)

You are unreal, honest, unreal. Everytime this team has a hickup you jump off ship. You know what fathom, just stay off alright, you're a bandwagon jumper. It's so goddamn annoying.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
You are unreal, honest, unreal.  Everytime this team has a hickup you jump off ship.  You know what fathom, just stay off alright, you're a bandwagon jumper.  It's so goddamn annoying.

Agreed.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
STFU with this "best record in baseball" s***. Look at the way we played against the Angels, A's, and Rangers. And then consider that we've still yet to see the Yankees and Red Sox, and will get more games against the Angels, Rangers, and Orioles in the 2nd half.

We won 4 out of seven against the Angels and only 2 and 3 three against the Rangers and we always play the Yanks and Red Sox good we will be fine (as long as Willie Harris is in Charlotte)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Just cause a team has your number, it doesn't mean you have to bend over and take it in the ass.  We have a very tough schedule in the 2nd half of the year, and with the way the Cell plays, our pitching staff will not be able to duplicate their first half numbers.  Our offense needs to pick it up.

So you're telling me the White Sox are 50/50 to blow a 9 game lead at the All-Star break because they have a very tough schedule and the pitching staff is going to choke? We still play a bunch of games against the division, who we have dominated thoroughly this year. You don't have the best record in baseball solely because of an easy schedule. Our pitching has a huge task to duplicate it's first half, but the Cell has played the way it has for the entire first half of the season and we still have won.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Here is my synopsis on this game:

The A's had a much better approach at the plate, they made Sox pitchers throw strikes and the Sox pitchers were wild all day long.  When you walk that many hitters in key situations and have to groove fastballs on hitters counts, your team deserves to lose.

Guillen has had better days, there was no reason for him to leave Cotts in to face their catcher, that was stupid.  Cotts was wild and sure enough he walks in a run.

Ozuna in the bottom of the ninth, that was stupid to swing at the first pitch.  The guy is probably rattled, you have the winning run at 2nd base.  Take a few pitches and see what happens.

Anyone who wants to defend Willie Harris, I'm sorry, I'm not buying it.  If you can't rely on him to get a bunt down, forget it.  Further, he was trying to bunt to 3rd base with Chavez right in his face.  There is no room on the team for a guy who can't execute off the bench.  I don't totally blame Harris, he is a mismatch on this roster ... he is not a good bench player.  I don't care what the stats say, it is yet another key situation in this series where he did not execute.  Get a veteran bench player who can execute.

The 3rd strike call on Everett was bulls*** but the Sox gave Oakland way too many chances to win this game and they finally did.

This is a good thing for the players and management to chew on during the break.  They got beat at their own game this weekend and you cannot give good teams like Oakland a bunch of walks, extra outs, etc.  Oakland made most of the defensive plays, the Sox botched a few.

You pretty much hit it on the head. When the As got 2 strikes on them they shortened their swings and made contact. Our guys take real big cuts with 2 strikes. On the way back home today. I hear Farmio talking about how the difference he sees is on 3-2 the As take good swings and put the ball in play, and when we get the same count we watch the pitch or take a big cut to pop it up.

Our guys gave way to many opportunties. Too many walks. Garcia needs to get ahead with his fastball and then use his curve to put the guys away. From the first inning he was pitching backwards, and against this team and how they have a good eye it was going to be bad.

Guys don't get to upset, the Angels are about to get swept by the M's, and the Indians lost 3 of 4 against the Yankees, albeit on the road. But it's obvious this team has a few holes that need to be filled, and hopefully KW can fill em.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
OOOOKKKK.  You like Willie and I don't have a problem with that but the fact is Ozuna has been better then Willie stastically and doing everything at that.  Willie has been horrendous this year, period.

I looooooove sample sizes. Neither player even has 100 at-bats this season.

I am not arguing who has played better thus far am i? But who is the better player overall i don't think is that close. You play ozuna alot he will get overexposed and therefore his average will plumet. He is one of those guys you do not want other players seen very often so that there is not a good scouting report on him.

People have always hated willie harris even when he did pretty good for us last year ( don't count what he did verse lefties because he is useless against them, he is a platoon player). I would like to see ozuna even get close to matching .279 average and a .366 obp verse righties in 337 at-bats considering he has hit the ball out of the infield maybe 10 times this season? You cannot rely on just infield singles. Do you think ozuna is more valuable because he can play three infield positions, two medicore ( short and second) and a horrible third? I will take the gold glove type defender at second along with a guy that can play can play a medicore short.

I truly believe harris will end up staying in the major leagues much longer than ozuna ever does. If you think ozuna>>>>> harris we can just compare both offensive and defensive numbers at the end of the season.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)

I'll say this again, we've played 3 teams this year that as of right now would be in the playoffs. Guess what, we have winning records against every single one of them. So why don't you STFU.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)

Because the Yankees and Orioles have been so dominating as of late right?

Those teams have gone through times like we are currently going through, but yet we must fear them? And think about Cleveland this way. They have to play around .700 ball and we have to play around .500 ball for them to overtake us. While it's possible, it's certainly very doubtful.

Edited by JohnStamos