Bobby Jenks

joshe800

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss seeing Bobby Jenks in games? I know certain situations call for lefties, etc. But I really think that Jenks is a superstar closer in the making and i'd like to see us use him and make fools of opposing hitters. Especially in a situation like last night where we could have saved Hermanson and his back and locked down a 6-1 victory. Maybe it's just me, but everytime Jenks comes in, I get excited to see him mow down opposing hitters and watch them head back to the dugout shaking their heads.

I agree, I think Jenks is underused...

QUOTE(joshe800 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
Is it just me, or does anyone else miss seeing Bobby Jenks in games?  I know certain situations call for lefties, etc.  But I really think that Jenks is a superstar closer in the making and i'd like to see us use him and make fools of opposing hitters.  Especially in a situation like last night where we could have saved Hermanson and his back and locked down a 6-1 victory.  Maybe it's just me, but everytime Jenks comes in, I get excited to see him mow down opposing hitters and watch them head back to the dugout shaking their heads.

I think Ozzie is trying to bring him along and keep his head in the game. Jenks' physical talents are immense, but his head hasn't always been screwed on right. Ozzie is doing the right thing in picking a choosing the spots and last night with the pressure of really needing the win, wasn't it.

Also a good way to look at it, but last night Jenks was the right choice...moving from a soft tossing lefty to a hard throwing righty would have blown the Twins away, we almost let them back into that game trying to go around Jenks.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
I think Ozzie is trying to bring him along and keep his head in the game. Jenks' physical talents are immense, but his head hasn't always been screwed on right. Ozzie is doing the right thing in picking a choosing the spots and last night with the pressure of really needing the win, wasn't it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
I'd imagine we'd definitely see him with Cotts at somepoint in today's game. And with Hermy's back troubles, he could be closing real soon.  :ph34r:

If the throws that curve for a strike and can keep ahead of hitters he will be very hard to hit.

The only thing to worry about is how the pressure of this will get to him. So far he has done well. I think the bomb in Boston from Ortiz was a great learning tool for him. If you get behind hitters I dont care how hard you throw, they can catch up. If you pitch ahead and stay ahead, with his stuff he can be as dominant as anyone.

Hermy needs to get that back in check. We need him for the post season run. When he is above 90 and has good sink to his pitches he is very hard to hit. When his velocity is down and his pitches dont have that sink to it, its batting practice time.

Perfect time to give Jenks his first really big test, game on the line, on the road, division rival, going for the series win, etc.

The big kid passed with flying colors, love it.