What's your #1 key to a ALDS win?

sircaffey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
In order for the White Sox to beat the Red Sox in the ALDS, _______ must happen.

Fill in the blank...

My vote goes to Podsednik getting on base.  If Podsednik gets on base, the White Sox win this series. 

None of this, the pitching has to dominate or the offense needs to click.  1 single thing.  Pick...

This team has the talent, the players are generally healthy and the clubhouse chemistry is good what we need now is mistake free baseball. When we did lose this season we often beat ourselves with costly errors, poor pitch selection and blunders on the basepaths.

We have to be as sharp as possible because Boston has a great team and we cannot afford to give any runs away to them or deprive ourselves runs by way of mental errors.

Contreras has to be cash money.

I say this, full well knowing he was unf***inghittable in the second half. I also say this, because he is our only starter with 2 scheduled starts. If we go 2-0 in his starts, that means we win the series in 5. We don't get to Contreras, and that is a very good/bad thing...either they're rested going to the ALCS, or they're rested for their golf trip.

1. Joey and Ozzie need to coach differently being this is playoff ball. Oz needs to conserve pitchers and put the best man in the best position to succeed. Joey needs to remember that this is the playoffs and not send people home on contact, nor should he wave people around unless he's POSITIVE that they'll make it safely.

2. Count needs to stay in the rhythm he's found on the mound. If he can spot his fastball like he's been doing, his splitter and offspeed pitches become unhittable. He'll be the guy setting the tone for this entire series. Fortunately for us, his confidence couldn't be any higher right now.

3. Our hitters cannot start swinging for the fences if we end up facing a 4 or 5 run deficit in a game. BOS pitching is horrible, take the hits, pile them together, and we can beat them without a single HR in this series.

4. NO WALKS UNLESS IT'S MANNY OR ORTIZ. This offense is too good to give them free baserunners.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
In order for the White Sox to beat the Red Sox in the ALDS, _______ must happen.

________ = Our starters have good outings. If each of them can hold the Red Sox to 3 runs or less, the White Sox have a chance. If not, this might already be over.

I gotta agree with the Damon pick. He's their version of Podsednik, and Pods seems to be a popular choice too. If we can keep Damon off the basepaths, the power Manny and Papi flash will be damaging, but minimally so. And if Damon doesn't get one, that's one less thing for the pitcher to concentrate on. Not that they've had much trouble with forgetting about baserunners.

Lets face it, Manny and Ortiz are going to burn us a few times. It's just something we gotta live with. But we can't give them free runs by letting the leadoff man get away with stuff.

Anyway, we got this sheet covered!

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
We've gotta keep Damon under wraps.  You can talk about Papi and Ramirez all you want,  Damon is their motor.  And,  I believe game one is crucial.  Not for the Red Sox,  we know they can come back from anything,  but for the White Sox.  We haven't won a home playoff game since 59.  We need to get that monkey off our back ASAP.

Im with you on this. In fact, I would say that the Sox have to focus on making sure that noone in the lineup besides Papi and Ramirez are in a position to do any damage. Lets face it, Papi and ManRam are pretty f***ing good, but they are going to be that much better if they have runs to drive in. You keep the rest of the crew off the bases, and Papi and ManRam are under wraps as much as can be. Limit the damage.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
We need to play White Sox baseball.  That's all it will take.  Good pitching, good defense, aggressive baserunning.  If the White Sox do that, they'll win the series.

^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said is just about it. do it how we have been doin it all year. we gotta ride our horses (buehrle, count, pk, pods) and they gotta ride theirs (man-ram, ortiz) I cant begin to emphasize how important it is that we have the depth at pitching taht we do. we can bring mccarthy into the game at any point and he has already proven he can shut these guys down.