Jermaine Dye to 1B

DBAHO

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be great if there was a hitter available in our system which could replace Konerko? Or rather, an adequate outfield prospect to which this organization could send Dye to 1B without worrying about a huge discrepency in lost production. Anderson doesn't give me confidence, and Sweeney/Young are still a few years from contributing.

No matter what occurs this offseason, we're not going to equal the production of Dye/Konerko unless Konerko is resigned. Or Williams completes a trade. If Konerko leaves, and Dye moves to first, best scenario for Williams would be to upgrade one of our OF positions.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

One of the advantages with moving Dye to 1b is that you're going to have a relatively cheap 30 homer threat at a power position. Assuming that PK signs elsewhere, that opens up a position in the outfield that might be easier to find a big time offensive bat. With pitching seemingly set for next year, KW should have some significant resources to try and upgrade the offense. A name for the outfield that hasn't been discussed much on here is J. Jones. He'd be a good fit if we do have to move Dye to 1b. If you put Jones in RF, and then find a big time DH, and you'd have a good start for the offense.

Bottom line!!!!

WE NEED PAULIE....

Not only for the power he posesses but the intangibles as well....

Kenny and co. will have a hell of a lot more to spend on players next year after this ball keeps rolling.....

There is no excuse....

While I agree that resigning Paulie is a serious priority (can anyone really argue otherwise right now?), if he can't get Paulie back I trust KW to do something with the offense. I seriously doubt he thinks he can get by with merely moving Dye to first, plugging Anderson into right, and using Everett/Thomas as the DH, especially after the success we've had this year. I think this offseason showed that if he sees a major problem with the team (and I can't believe that he wouldn't think it's an issue), he'll do something to rememdy it. I've heard mention of several serious hitters potentially being available, and if he can't get Paulie I'm sure Kenny will do something, and he might be planning it regardless.

I remember thinking this when JD was played 1st base that one game, but mainly it was because konerko was struggling. Paulie is showing is true colors now, and if we can get him at a reasonable price, we hafta keep him. He is a leader on and off the field for this team.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
We need Paulie. We can't keep subtracting power guys from our team and not have it show up in the standings.

I see no need we keep Everett around, but keep Paulie.

Last time we subtracted power we went what 17 games up in the standings if thats what you mean :P.

Whatevr the case if we dont bring back Konerko we need to spend some money to improve this offense I dont care how with power or w/out.

Why the White Sox didn't try and get Konerko signed before the season (for much less money than they will probably have to pay now ) only gives strong support towards the belief that they don't want to pay him long-term...or at least anything beyond what they think he is worth.

I've read in the post-season, depending on how far the White Sox go, they will make anywhere between $5 and $22 million dollars....Attendence this season was at it's highest in about 10 years.....

Yes, they do have a budget, and some other problems to worry about this off-season (Garland and AJ should get nice raises through arbitration), Frank Thomas and Carl Everett are both going to be on the open market as well, but I don't think it's too much to ask the White Sox organization to resign their most popular, and productive offensive player.

I don't want to hear that Brian Anderson or Ross Gload will work out, or we can sign some lesser free agent to replace him - that's garbage. This is Chicago - we're not KC or Pittsburgh. Get the guy signed long-term, or the Sox will continue their recent history of PR blunders.

One of the advantages with moving Dye to 1b is that you're going to have a relatively cheap 30 homer threat at a power position.  Assuming that PK signs elsewhere, that opens up a position in the outfield that might be easier to find a big time offensive bat.  With pitching seemingly set for next year, KW should have some significant resources to try and upgrade the offense.  A name for the outfield that hasn't been discussed much on here is J. Jones.  He'd be a good fit if we do have to move Dye to 1b.  If you put Jones in RF, and then find a big time DH, and you'd have a good start for the offense.

Jacque Jones is a free-swinging bum. Would you really want him? He's no better than Everett offensively. Take a look for yourself.

Jacque Jones

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...layer_id=150218

Carl Everett

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...layer_id=113946

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Jacque Jones is a free-swinging bum.  Would you really want him?  He's no better than Everett offensively.  Take a look for yourself.

I know that Jones is a free swinger. However, he's a REALISTIC option that could potentially fill a need for the Sox if PK were to leave. All I know is that the Sox offense needs some lefty hitters. Would Jones be a perfect fit? Not at all. However, there really aren't a lot of likely perfect options.

As long as we win the title this season, they can do what they want next year. They get a bye in my book. But if we do not win........

WHAT are you kidding me? They get a Bye if we win it all? ahhh NOOOOO Win it again.. Why do they get a bye? Why do most Chicago fans settle for avg and think happy thoughts? I want to win every single year.. no excuses.

Here is my question if we let Pauly go; where does the extra money get used? If memory serves me doesn't KW get an extra 10-12 mil next year?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I've been a little concerned lately that there doesn't seem to be a lot to suggest that PK is coming back to the Sox next year.  If he does leave, I would still rather keep Dye in RF, and try to upgrade at DH and 1B.   Oh well, we have plenty of time to worry about these issues.

it probably has a lot to do with the thin free agent market and the fact that there are a lot of teams with money to spend out there. if someone throws outlandish money at pk (which is likely, imo) we know we aren't going to match.

i am already guessing that the only way pk is back is if he accepts less money because he wants to stay. i do think that's possible, albeit unlikely.

Edited by thedoctor

it probably has a lot to do with the thin free agent market and the fact that there are a lot of teams with money to spend out there. if someone throws outlandish money at pk (which is likely, imo) we know we aren't going to match.

Someone like the LAA? Who pauly would just fit in nicely being from LA and hitting behind Bad Vlad..

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
I know that Jones is a free swinger.  However, he's a REALISTIC option that could potentially fill a need for the Sox if PK were to leave.  All I know is that the Sox offense needs some lefty hitters.  Would Jones be a perfect fit?  Not at all.  However, there really aren't a lot of likely perfect options.

no, no, no no. Jones?? Come on. He is no replacement for Paulie and has no fit on this team. Paulie needs to be resigned. We get rid of Everett, Frank's salary, resign pauly, and we still have money to play with. Not to mention the possible surge of minor league talent, which could allow us to trade some peices as well. Going younger is much better than getting overpaid no so talented cast offs.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
WHAT are you kidding me? They get a Bye if we win it all? ahhh NOOOOO Win it again.. Why do they get a bye? Why do most Chicago fans settle for avg and think happy thoughts? I want to win every single year.. no excuses.

Here is my question if we let Pauly go; where does the extra money get used? If memory serves me doesn't KW get an extra 10-12 mil next year?

If they win it all this year, they get a bye in my book for 2006 too. I'd love to see them go aggressively after a back-to-back, but I'll tell you what - I wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face for AT LEAST a year!!!

I'm not gonna get greedy when this franchise has gone without for 88 years!!

I WANT TO SEE THAT f***IN' PARTY AFTER 8 MORE WINS!

I WANT A WORLD CHAMPIONS T-SHIRT!!

I WANT A BANNER FLYING PROUDLY AT THE BALLPARK!!!

I WANT TO SEE THAT TROPHY ON DISPLAY AT US CELLULAR FIELD!!!!

I'll worry about next year......NEXT YEAR.....

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)

bandwagon.jpg